Buddy seat

landcruiser

May 19, 2008
Wiltshire
I posted on the western thread as I think it's more likely western riders will be familliar with buddy seats. I just bought an Abbeta one for my 6year old boy to ride up behind my saddle. It fits on the back of the saddle OK, but moves side to side as the horse walks, which will rub I'm sure. Haven't tried it with my son mounted yet (waiting for the weekend/use of school/another adult to grab him if horse decides he doesn't like it).

Anyway - has anyone used one/seen one in use? Any tips on stopping it rubbing or anything else useful would be appreciated! Anyone else in th UK using one??:confused:

My 5yo granddaughter rides in a "buddy seat" at times. Make sure your horse has accepted the saddle before you introduce a rider.

Ours is like the Abetta Buddy Seat and it works well for us on short trail rides. The rider can use either the "nylon handles" or hang on to the "adults" belt.

We have found that running both the front and rear straps to the "front saddle ring" works best and provides the most secure seat. We just run both nylon straps (two on each side) under the saddles fender and cinch themboth to the forward rigging. We haven't noticed any problems with the saddle rubbing with a rider.

The "buddy seat" has worked for us, but our use has been limited to a few short trail rides. (one hour or so)

Look forward to some pics of this up and coming "cowboy". Here's hoping he has a lot of fun ridin with his Dad. :)

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

The saddle buddy seats attach to the saddle with adjustable nylon straps that buckle to the saddle and rigging rings. These seats work best on a longer backed horse where there's plenty of room for the seat.

So essentially, you need the extra space on your horses back. I'm assuming they're at least 8inches seat size. No horse has that space on their back in addition to a regular saddle.

It's not really the weight I'm worrying about, it's the mere pressure on the horses last rib. We all know how much damage a slightly too large rider tipping weight onto the cantle or a half inch too long saddle can cause. I'm not sure what I think about this really and I'd want to see scientific proof and I most certainly wouldn't be using one with stirrups, no matter what the weight of the child.

Anyone know any more about these? :eek: I don't want to be making ill-informed judgements.

Quite honestly, I can't think of anything more dangerous. :eek:

You can't possibly be in control of a horse, even a placid one, and also be 'looking out for' a small child sitting BEHIND you!

Scenario 1 - Horse panics/bolts - maybe it's stung by a wasp or something...how safe is the child then?

Scenario 2 - Rider (adult) needs to dismount in a hurry....no swinging your leg over the back of the saddle when there's a kiddie behind you.

And as for the 'last rib thing - most obvious point in the world. I noted the comment on one website - "best suited to horses with long backs".....! Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

I can't believe this thing exists, let alone that there's anyone mad enough to use one! In the UK, I very much doubt your insurance would be valid if you had an accident whilst using one of these! Be warned!

Apologies to those above who have one / use one - but you couldn't pay me to put one of these on my horses!

Madness.

Ever wonder why there are so many "experts" on horse forums? Eight posters, two with experience on the subject, six with none,
and the experts will come forth, :rolleyes:

If you don't like them, don't use them, :)

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

1000’s year old horse culture seems to disagree with you, maybe there CV is bigger ;)

10012320.jpg

And yes they also have small children up there as well, sometimes the whole family ride, and they are probably stalions as well.

Ever wonder why there are so many "experts" on horse forums? Eight posters, two with experience on the subject, six with none,
and the experts will come forth, :rolleyes:

If you don't like them, don't use them, :)

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

The lumbar area behind the last rib is not for weight bearing, there is no ribcage to support the spine and the area is extremely weak.. it should not be subjected to ANY pressure.

When a horse is subjected to pressure at the thoracolumbar junction, they cannot use their back end properly and hollow their back instead. Hollowing in turn causes them to trail their hind legs to compensate for not being able to use their pelvis properly... all of which puts excess stress on the hocks, stifles, tendons and ligaments in the hind legs.

A badly fitting saddle is not just about back-pain, it can quite literally ruin your entire horse.

Good luck with that.

My elder mare has had a lot of back pain - almost ending her ridden career a few years ago - there is no way on earth that I would ever believe anything like either of those contraptions would be a good idea.

newrider.com