canter problem

snuggly_elf

cuillin grazing!
Sep 17, 2001
Visit site
How can I tell if I'm on the correct canter lead?
When i'm riding and I go into canter I can't tell if it's right or not, until my instructor says 'what was wrong with that canter?'
Then I presume that I was on the wrong leg. But I don't know how to tell. Help!:(

you probably already know this, but..
canter is 3 beat pace. starting with outside hind, then a diagonal, following by the inside fore.
the lead is the inside fore. right canter -> right fore; left canter -> left fore.
i used to have the same problem, and i never knew on which lead i were. so i tried to look on the horse's forequarters to determine on what lead i were. i succeeded, but it wasn't a very good way..
so, you should look at the horse's shoulders, and then it will be easy for you to know your lead. you'll see that the shoulder that comes up is the lead.

hope this helps

Last edited:
You might be able to feel it. I only check my leads if they feel off, and that works fine. If a horse is cantering on the wrong lead, you'll feel very unbalanced in the corner. Now, my only problems are when Bubba canters half right, half wrong (is that corss-cantering, BTW?)

You need to tune into the horses stride, be able to feel as each back leg steps under. Its the outside back leg that instigates the canter, if you give your aid just as this leg is about to touch the ground, your horse will lead with the inside fore.

Though looking at the front legs will tell you which leg is leading, its being focussed on the back legs and timing your aids that will put you on the correct leg.

Lesley

thanx every one.
Dizzy- I'll need to try that one. I can tell when each leg is hitting the ground in walk but I've never tried it in trot.

newrider.com