Certain speeds in certain places

Doeylicious

Oct 19, 2008
Surrey/South London borders
Just wondered, as I did my first canter on Doey an alone hack yesterday (must have told the world and his wife now as I am so chuffed hehehe), are there certain places you are allowed to trot/canter and others where you should just walk? Or is it down to common sense, i.e. cantering down a steep gravelly hill with a lake at the bottom may be a silly idea unless you have eventing aspirations!

I realise this may be a silly question, but I wanted to ask as I am always cautious of other path users round our area, and would not want to cause trouble by doing anything I shouldn't. eg. I was once told about a time when a friend was riding her horse, who started playing up very randomly on the heath, and it turned out a large group of people were galloping along on the other side of the group of trees and he wanted to join in. Were they in the wrong? Should they have used some personal descretion and not galloped past another rider who was walking? Or was it down to my friend to calm her horse?

Btw I chose to do my canter uphill (to slow her down a bit hehe) when I could clearly see the path ahead was clear right to the end, so didn't do anything silly!

It is common sense really, there are no set laws on where you can canter or gallop, just where you deem appropriate and safe.

No, your friend wasn't in the wrong. There was nothing to stop the other riders from continuing to gallop past but it is common courtesy to slow down, and if I were your friend I would've been very angry!

I've only trotted or cantered where it was safe. I think as long as you use common sense (like oh, maybe wait until AFTER we get past that big wet spot) then you should be good!

It is a good idea to check that you have a clear run and there are no other people using the path. Sometimes if there are dog walkers the dogs get over excited and bark startling the horses. As the others said use common sense. If I ever see other horses I always slow to a walk and make room checking with the riders that they are ok to pass. This is because once a horse that I was passing kicked out at my horse, missed her and got me on the shin!! I still have a lump and it was years ago. It is really irritating when someone comes up behind you at a speed especially if you are riding on your own as it can really wind your horse up. It is just good manners to pass slowly and cautiously.

Another tip that I find good is to vary your canter spots. Horses love a routine and will soon remember where they had a blast before. If we canter in a particular place when out on a hack next time we will walk and the time after have a trot. Otherwise you end up with the horse getting all geeed up and trying to take of in certain places. Although some people think this is fun it can be dangerous when other people are using the paths.

Common-sense answers are above.

There are no 'prescribed speed limits' on public rights of way - but there have been instances, in days gone by, of riders being prosecuted for 'furious riding'. Don't forget, too, that if there were to be an accident involving damage to people or property and some form of financial restitution, your insurance company could be asking awkward questions if there were any question of you riding carelessly.

However, I would caution that if you are not on a public right of way - ie if you are riding on a permissive path, on council land, in a country park or similar - there may well be by-laws or rules of use in place. As well as stating where you can or can't ride, these often dictate the pace or speed at which you can ride, and breaking these rules - especially during times when the park or path is busy! - may result not only in your being banned from access to the area, but ALL riders being banned from the area.

Recovering lost access rights is far, far more difficult than maintaining existing access rights. It's not worth risking it for a quick gallop!

Same as above really. The only thing I CANNOT stand, of which is a regular occurance where I live - people cantering up grass verges right next to a main road. Extremely foolish! It's not even really wide enough to accomodate a horse as it is, never mind going at faster gaits.....one slip and you could end up cantering on the road, and god help you if there is a car right behind you...!

Same as above really. The only thing I CANNOT stand, of which is a regular occurance where I live - people cantering up grass verges right next to a main road. Extremely foolish! It's not even really wide enough to accomodate a horse as it is, never mind going at faster gaits.....one slip and you could end up cantering on the road, and god help you if there is a car right behind you...!

In that case the rider really could - and arguably should - be prosecuted under road traffic law.

It really is down to your own personal discretion :) You need to be comfortable, know that your horse will pull up if you need them to and you aren't likely to mow anybody down, consideration of other right of way users is very important :) Not only that but the going need to be suitable, most people only have a few good canter spots so it's sometimes difficult for the horse not to end up anticipating them.

You should do a dynamic risk assessment i.e. assess the situation & use your common sense ;) I always walk past other horses & if people are around I'll slow down, but if you get a clear view, the going is good and you're in the mood, why not have a blast :D The only place I've ridden that had a speed limit was Rotten Row - apparently you have to do a 'hand canter' unless you are out of control. So I was frequently out of control :eek:

Thanks guys, you verified what I was thinking really, that it is just common sense. Thanks for the warning on the 'special' paths Liz1949, there are actually a couple of places we can ride on that may be classed as one of these as they are private roads that have 'no unauthorised vehicles' notices at the start. Would these be one of the permissive paths as they are not strictly open to the public? I know for a fact we can ride down them and people walk down them, it is just non-essential vehicles that shouldn't go down them (tho some do anyway :rolleyes:). I would never canter down one of these anyway as they are road material and Doey's joints aren't great, so she couldn't go faster than a trot on a non-springy surface and only a teeny trot at that.

FlyingxFeathers, I can't believe someone would put their horse at risk like that! How stupid! I would NEVER canter beside a road, no matter how wide the verge was, too difficult to keep a horse under control at that speed if you got Mr Speedy coming past blaring his horn. I have trotted before in order to get to a bridlepath quicker and thus out of the way of a car behind me, but never canter! This sort of thing is why you get people saying we shouldn't be on the roads.

I will also bear in mind what you all said about not doing the same thing in the same place. I don't want her to get used to a 'canter spot' and do it with her loaner on board, I don't think she has ever cantered her out of the school and would be very freaked out!

Thanks for the warning on the 'special' paths Liz1949, there are actually a couple of places we can ride on that may be classed as one of these as they are private roads that have 'no unauthorised vehicles' notices at the start. Would these be one of the permissive paths as they are not strictly open to the public? I know for a fact we can ride down them and people walk down them, it is just non-essential vehicles that shouldn't go down them (tho some do anyway :rolleyes:).

I have pm'ed you about this, Doeylicious.

newrider.com