Confidence

Cyberprincess63

May 31, 2002
Blue Ridge Texas
Visit site
Hi

I need all the advise I can get on gaining confidence. I am 44 years old, and I bought my first horse three years ago. I was told she was trained and gentle. I rode her on three separate occassions where I bought her, before I bought her. She seemed pretty ok, but I had her previous owner with me on another horse. However, when I bought her and took her home, the first time I rode her she ran away with me. I fell off near a creek. She stopped. I always read that you should get back on, so I tried. I had my left foot in the stirrup and was in the process of throwing my right leg over the horse, the saddle slipped down and I landed on both my feet. But.....I guess my right ankle turned slightly and I ended up with a broken tibia and a shattered knee. Surgery and six months in a wheelchair and I'm pretty normal. LOL! Anyway, I have a new horse now. But I havent ridden her yet for two reasons. One, because by surprise she gave us a foal. I didnt even know she was pregnant. Two, Because I'm afraid she'll run off with me too I guess. She is very gentle. Behaves well on the ground. I've lunged her, lead her, haltered her, and bitted her up. I've leaned on her back, put a saddle blanket on her back etc., I guess I need to know what to do if a horse ever takes off with me again. I rode as a child and then again at age 25. So I'm basically new at this. And I know I need lessons and I intend to get some, but I'm anxious to ride her. Not far from the house, but on our property for right now. Any suggestions on how to better gain my confidence and also what to do if a horse bolts? I would appreciate it!
Carol

This new horse sounds lovely. Do you have any horsey friends who could ride out with you for a while until you get your confidence back? Bearing in mind that at first she may fret if she has to leave her baby alone at home.

I think to start off you could try riding her in an enclosed field with the baby in the next field so mum can see him/her, but s/he won't interfere.

Once baby is weaned, try riding out slowly with a friend. If necessary, said friend can keep you on a lead rope at first to give you confidence.

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted! :D

Gottta agree, the best thing to do for your confidence is to
1. Spend lots of time getting to know her on the ground
2. Ride in an enclosed area for a while, doing loads of upward and downward transitions, tune her into your aids so that you both understand how to stop, go, slow, etc. The foal can be included in all this if you have someone to supervise it for you while you are riding. The mare will be less inclined to fret, or play up if she knows where, and can see, her foal.

Understanding each other should ensure that both you and your horse are competent and confident to ride out in open spaces.

Confidence comes through practice, patience and understanding with both horse and rider. Goodluck with your lovely mare, and new baby and I wish you many happy horsie hours.

take things slowly...

Good advice from all of the above.....

I would say to take things very slowly - don't try to do too much too soon, and you should find your confidence comes back. I can relate to a lot of what you say - I'm a very nervous rider, having had lots of nasty experiences in the past. I started sharing a lovely horse about 7 months ago, and only feel I'm gaining confidence with her now. I'm still not brave enough to go on long hacks with her, but I will now go for the odd short walk on my own - something I would never have dreamed of a few months ago. So take it slowly, don't put yourself under pressure to do too much too soon..... Good luck!

Thank you guys you gave me confidence already

Hey

You guys are great! I figured what I should do is ride her around a small enclosed pasture first for a few months. This horse came to me free of charge. Her owner thought she had something really wrong with her leg and he couldnt afford an expensive vet bill. So he gave her to me free in exchange for her being taken care of. But she hadnt been ridden in over a year. However, I got her vetted and within 3 days she went from tip toeing on her front leg to running around the pasture and having a blast. Then of course as I said, she had a foal by surprise. I dont know who the dad is, but the foal is beautiful. She has four white legs and a white belly. Shes sort of a red dun color and the color is starting to go down her legs to her knees. Her tail is mixed sort of sorrel on the top layer and white underneath. Her mane is red dun I guess. She has just about a bald stripe from eye to eye and down to her muzzle. I know the mom had been in with a belgian, and this foal has got some big bones, so.....I'm wondering. LOL! Anyway, she is a great horse and I'll take all your advise. I'll ride her around her in the enclosed pasture we have (about 1/2 acre) until I know she in fact will not runaway with me like the other horse did. I have plenty of patience, and we have truly bonded. The foal is now starting to bond with me. Everytime she sees me she comes running. She loves when I rub her neck and believe it or not her butt. LOL! Shes a big foal. I appreciate all you guys help. Please do not hesistate to email me at Cyberprincess631@aol.com and keep in touch. Unfortunately, I have no horsie friends to ride with right now. We just moved to a new area, so I'm going to attend a local horse club show tomorrow and try to meet a few people. Happy riding guys, be safe.

Carol

What incredible bad luck! Perhaps you could ask someone to
show you how to pulley rein? Hopefully, you'll never have to use it but it's good to know how. It has to be done properly or you'll
risk unbalancing the horse. Hold one rein very firmly against the wither and pull upward (not back) in rhythmic tugs on the other rein.

Do you know someone (former owner, maybe?) who would be willing to ride her around an enclosed area just a little bit - to allow you to see from the ground that she's just as gentle under saddle? I'm assuming you've never seen her being ridden before. It might help your confidence a lot to see how calm she is with someone else. She sounds darling! Good luck!

Candy

No, unfortunately I have no horsie friends around here yet. I'm going to a show this evening close by, maybe I can meet some people who would offer to ride her in the enclosed pen for me. Her former owner was abusive, didnt even tell me she could be or was in foal. He wasnt a very nice person. Especially to her. But I think she knows me well enough and we've become bonded very strongly. So......I'll work with her a little bit more, and if I cant get anyone to try her out, I'll do it myself I guess, in an enclosed area of course. LOL!

newrider.com