Congratulations Esther.D and Ollopy Backwards!

any infomation

hi what it is i have a welsh sec b, that i would love to drive, he is too young yet this is y i am trying to get as much info as i can for when he is old enough,
i have broke horses and i have alot of experince with them but i have never driven a horse nor had a close look at one. i can long rein from the ground but thats about it, as far as it comes to driving ect.
i dont have any idea what to do, i would be very greatfull if someone can give me advise on the harness, how to put it on, what sort i need or are they all the same
i have tryed to look for someone to train him when he older enough but had nothing from by me so i thought if i got enough knowledge about this i could try it myself :confused:
he is a stallion and would like to keep him like that, but he is a very calm one with a bit of give or take as he is young to, he has been very well handled,he loves new things and always trying to please and very quick learner very quick lol, so i thought he would be great to learn with. hope you can give me some tips thanx

Somehow I missed this thread.............till now.

Well done Ed.

Those turnouts were appalling.........I can't understand why they weren't sent out and asked to refrain from showing till they got themselves an education in driving.

Looks like Francis' excellent camera work again (?). :D

Angus, this thread is from last year! :D :D

As to the bad harness I have written to the show committee twice then finally collared the judge at the show, who later had a go and called me "you idiot woman who knows nothing.......little knowledge is dangerous......." I won't print the real sweary words she used to me, :D :D not on a family board! :D

When I phoned her to tell her my concerns about a 12 tear old and a 14 year old in one turnout with no adult groom, and not harness and carts not set up, she slammed the phone down on me!

Apparently, there is nothing wrong with the harness worn by the black pony wearing the Zilco with the baggy breeching and shafts about to fall out of the tugs, it's perfectly safe, it's just too big for the pony....and those were her words!

Very surreal to see this thread at the top again - it was this time last year! This year I was 36wks pregnant at that show and the size of a whale..so not driving (especially considering the risk posed by some of the other turnouts!).

Unfortunately missed the driving this year as Beth was full of cold and we had to take her home so cannot comment on whether anything has improved.

I started reading this and then went "wow and how far on is she now" . My first thoughts were that you had had the baby. Then I thought she won and advanced pregnancy to boot :D

No idea what a harness is supposed to look like tbh but by the sounds of it ,you were all lucky to get out of that class alive,due to the stupidity of others.;)

You did well and now look at you a mummy too,could very have nearly been a disaster where bump was concerned!!!

Because we are the minority, sadly there are two of us who get along well and sing from the same hymn sheet re most driving things (in fact most horsey things in general) but we are two on our own and ignored. We could have our own driving club and our own driving class but it might get a little dull eventually :D

Wally has complained, I haven't, I tried the tack (which Wally had already tried, unsuccessfully) of turning up correctly turned out and harnessed for the class but until a real driving judge is used that makes no difference, I was placed behind the turnout with the harness that was too big...admittedly Polo was a little excited and didn't stand perfectly so I am not bothered...but the other pony's harness didn't fit..so neither of us should have won - but at least I would have stayed in the ring! And they just muttered when I won the cones hands-down with a 22yr old pony - apparently they didn't stand a chance - well thats hardly my fault is it? :rolleyes: He was at least twice the age of all the other ponies, but he is still fast and knows his job.

I am continuing entering but can only take my most reliable and experienced ponies as I don't trust the other turnouts...its a sad state of affairs and one that would be fixed easily with a decent driving judge instead of just using the ridden judges.

Last edited:
Sorry to bust your bubble Esther, but certain ones who winked at HRT and said under her breath, "don't let me down" as said competitor slapped the reins on the horse's bum two handed, in a poorly fitting, poorly balanced cart, who did ever decreasing circles around the judge with the breast collar around his knees..... is now a driving judge, so ought to have known better.

My sin to be put second was A did one stride of canter when asked to lengthen........we too got sniffed at when we trounced them in the cones........funny how well fitting harness allows the horse to move forward and maneouvre the vehicle! :D :D

Angus, due to my pestering by letter, which was ignored, then by trying to get the ring steward to stop the class and straighten some of the dangerous harness up, then by phone to the mafia leader Frances and I were drummed out of the brownies! :D :D :D Certain members of said mafia tried to get Frances kicked out of the mother stud book society, when that failed we received our membership fee back from the smaller breed society which runs the show.......oh the shame, :) ;).......should Esther stick her head above the parapet I dare say they'd take potshots at her too! :D :D

Last edited:
Start your own club and I could always bring my two along :p

On the other hand maybe I should just turn up with my broncing boy :D I'd win

Sorry to bust your bubble Esther, but certain ones who winked at HRT and said under her breath, "don't let me down" as said competitor slapped the reins on the horse's bum two handed, in a poorly fitting, poorly balanced cart, who did ever decreasing circles around the judge with the breast collar around his knees..... is now a driving judge, so ought to have known better.

My sin to be put second was A did one stride of canter when asked to lengthen........we too got sniffed at when we trounced them in the cones........funny how well fitting harness allows the horse to move forward and maneouvre the vehicle! :D :D

Angus, due to my pestering by letter, which was ignored, then by trying to get the ring steward to stop the class and straighten some of the dangerous harness up, then by phone to the mafia leader Frances and I were drummed out of the brownies! :D :D :D Certain members of said mafia tried to get Frances kicked out of the mother stud book society, when that failed we received our membership fee back from the smaller breed society which runs the show.......oh the shame, :) ;).......should Esther stick her head above the parapet I dare say they'd take potshots at her too! :D :D

I am far too much of a wuss to stick my head over the parapet, if I thought it would honestly make a difference I would be straight there - but you and I are already bracketed together up here re the driving so I am already treated as suspect before I even do anything.

And regarding the driving judge, well I will amend my comment to 'any decent driving judge'!

Even if I turned up with two in tandem to the Bazza Wazza in patent and brass, I'd still get put behind a car tyred exercise vehicle with badly fitted harness and vehicle all out of balance with the whip slapping the reins on the horse's bum two handed.........what's the point?

I like a level playing field! I like to be placed fairly, I am happy with 4th, 5th, 6th if the turnouts above me in the line up were better than mine.

newrider.com