Dengie healthy hooves

martini55

Apr 16, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
Just seen an advert for this on the back of this month's 'Your Horse' mag. Does anyone have much information on it? Just interested in exactly what it is as it is approved by the laminitis trust :)

It seems to have a lot of alfalfa in which can be a bad thing for some laminitics and garlic which can irritate sensitive guts. I won't be feeding it and I'm less than impressed with some of the stuff the laminitis trust approve :rolleyes:. If I fed that at the recommended amout I'm pretty sure both my horses would be fat hyperactive idiots with sore feet pretty quickly :rolleyes:

There's more info on it here: http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/additional-products/healthy-hooves.php

Thanks for that MelanieD. Will probably just stick to what I know works. Don't want to risk having a hyper-active horse, been so used to having a nice calm and relaxed one to work with! I doubt I'd be feeding the recommended amounts having looked at them (which as about 3-4 times as much as I currently feed) so don't think I'd see the 'benfits' anyway.

alfalfa IS useful for laminatics as it supports healthy hoof condition and growth (obviously including the Laminae) and also healthy digestive, muscle and bone health as it contains protein and calcium.
Hi-fi Lite and Good Doer are both suitable fro laminatics or good doers, yet also contain alfalfa.
I trust Dengie explicitly, so if the product has been approved by a qualified, knowledgable person or company then 'What's stopping you?' i say!

alfalfa IS useful for laminatics as it supports healthy hoof condition and growth (obviously including the Laminae) and also healthy digestive, muscle and bone health as it contains protein and calcium.

It's useful for SOME laminitis, not all and can be positively dangerous for some. Because of this I'm always surprised when it's included in Laminitis Trust recommended feeds.

I trust Dengie explicitly, so if the product has been approved by a qualified, knowledgable person or company then 'What's stopping you?' i say!

I think it's unwise to trust any company that's out to make a profit implicitly, it's always worth doing your own research and making decisions based on that.

I really don't like the mould inhibitors and other things that Dengie spray onto their products. It makes me wonder about the quality of the raw materials but more importantly it disagrees with my horse, so I don't use any of their forage feeds.

Healthy Hooves
Typical analysis (%) ‘as fed’
Protein 9
Fibre 27
Oil 2.5
Starch 4
Sugars 5
Digestible Energy 8.5MJ/kg

Hi Fi Lite
Protein 10
Oil 1.5
Fibre 40
Ash (mineral) 9
Digestible Energy 8MJ/Kg

Hi fi Good Doer
Protein 8.5
Oil 1.7
Fibre 40
Ash (mineral) 8
Copper, as copper sulphate 10mg/kg
Selenium, as sodium selenite 0.2mg/kg
Vitamin E, as alpha tocopherol* 81 iu/kg
Digestible Energy 7MJ/kg

Hi fi Origonal
Protein 10
Oil 1.5
Fibre 35
Ash (mineral) 9
Digestible Energy 8MJ/kg

It would seem that looking at this, the Healthy hooves is a no no, as its the only one with sugar content.
Good do-er seems to be the best one id say.
I need a low protien feed, ticks that box.
There is 40% fibre, and many other trace elements which are needed. Meaning no feed suppliments to buy.

Id say laminitic or otherwise, this is what i would choose. As it ticks the boxes for the majority of horses. Although i do know i have not included the Alfa range, or spillers, etc etc.

I feed Hi Fi origonal, but after looking at this more closley, i will buy good do-er in the future.
I was thinking of getting the Healthy Hooves as i dont really need a feed, just a token & something for suppliments, but after reading all of that i wont bother :)

I have a TBx that can scoff build up mix, lots of grass, all kinds of sugary cr*p without any problems. Yet give her a bit of alfalfa, far less than the recommended daily amount of dengie healthy hooves, and she gets footy and has signs of mild laminitis.

My laminitic coblet can't eat alfalfa even in much smaller amounts because she puts on too much weight and acts like a total idiot, and I've never seen it do anything good for her feet either.

I know it does suit some laminitics but from the experiences I've had with it so far I wouldn't feed it to anything let alone a laminitic, especially at the amounts recommended for 'healthy hooves'

newrider.com