Does anyone travel tacked up and ready to go?

Zayna

May 27, 2008
Just wondering... if it's only a short distance and you're going for a hack, does anyone tack up, put boots and rug and headcollar on over tack and just go?

Ta...

I have known people do it and the saddle get rubbed/damaged maybe bridle but I wouldn't saddle

My old RS would have the horses tacked up and ready when they would go to shows. The horses were pretty good about it and it didn't seem to bother any of them!

I have done in the past but I wouldn't dare with Dylan as if we get stuck for too long at traffic lights he is liable to start kicking and throwing himself to the side. :rolleyes:

always!!! my horse won't stand still long enough at the other end, we have to get out the trailer, get on and go!!! just put your reins through the throatlash ( twisted ) and put on rug over the saddle to protect it. mine does travel x tied though.

Ta! We're not ready yet, but the plan is to get a box and put the boys in and go off somewhere nice. The boys are very laid back and touch wood we'd be surprised if there were any shenanigans, so I just want to throw some boots on and a rug over the tack and get on with it.

Can't think of anything worse than getting somewhere then start having to bugger about with tacking up, they'll be raring to get off, not want to stand around getting dressed!

I will put the bridle on if a comp is local (say 15 mins distance), my saddle is far too expensive to risk putting on whilst travelling.

Yes only for short journeys tho.
Got one with bridling issues which is easy to manage on home ground but would be difficult in unfamiliar surrounding.

When we go hunting we always put saddles on before we go, we put bridles on once we're there but they're far too excited to fully tack up:p

I wouldnt personally, but thats just because im abit of a worrier, and always think something could get caught up,horse will panic or everything will get rubbed/marked etc and it doesnt take long to tack up anyways so not much point lol.
I know that the police travel their horses tacked up though, minus the bridle which they chuck on once they get where theyre going :)
x

When I worked on Jersey and the distances were all short (being an island and all that!) we always travelled the horses fully tacked up, including boots, with a rug and travel boots over the top. Tack was never damaged and it was so convenient!! - although they both travelled well, so that might have had something to do with it!

The first journey out won't be tacked up, we'll need to see how they like travelling first. I'm really hoping we can have some nice easy trips out though, complete with flask and sandwiches for after...:p

dont usually, too scared of her getting tangled or stuff getting marked/ broken. travelled her with her bridle on the other day because she was being a pain to load and its amazing how much more respectful she is:rolleyes::p

Depends where we're going. If I'm going to have to park somewhere that's not ideal, then he travels tacked up so I can literally get him out of the box, put the ramp up and get on. I work on the basis that if I have to park and unload on the road (which I frequently do), I don't want to be faffing about. If I'm going somewhere where there's a lot of safe space then I tack up when I get there.

I don't travel tacked up but Forest has to have his bridle put on before he leaves the trailor. If you try and bridle up outside the box he gets loose and pegs it! :rolleyes:

newrider.com