Fieldsafe headcollars......really??

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
I need a stock of new head collars and have been looking at the Fieldsafe range.....they seem to be in most of the equestrian catalogues. I can't tell very well from the pictures. Are the rings which are traditionally metal, made of rubber, so that they break if the horse gets stuck and panics?? Is that the idea??
Can anyone enlighten me please??
Thank you.

Are the rings which are traditionally metal, made of rubber, so that they break if the horse gets stuck and panics?? Is that the idea??

Yes, in a word! I've got one from when we used to ride our share horses to the pub! They were the softest headcollars I could find so fitted comfortably under the bridle. The rings are all 'rolled' rubber rings rather like washers. I've never tried snapping one but I would guess they break more easily than baling twine.

I had one on May, and yes, they do break - far better than relying on imported leather to snap, which doesn't always. May's unfortunately broke while she was tied up (Lili pushed her way in, May shot backwards, baler twine remained intact and headcollar didn't) and I didn't replace it - bought a fly-free link instead (which is a velcro link that fits on the throat). Better for me since it'll go on any headcollar and doesn't need replacing when it gives.

Yes they are a flexible, light rubber. I feel certain they would break quickly and easily if caught on something and a horse pulled. I use one on Flora as she is not the easiest to catch. Walking into a field with rope and headcoller would just invite trouble from her!, but I always keep a conventional headcoller by the gate so we have something a bit more substantial on when we leave the field. I'm pretty sure the fieldsafe wouldn't hold on a horse that pulled back with any conviction.

I have seen one in action that looked pretty good, however the rings aren't replaceable (are they?!) so once they have snapped the whole headcollar is useless and you would have to buy another one.

no, a couple of spare rings came with mine, though on reflection I'm not sure how they fit on - I must dig them out and have a look. Even if its no good after breaking, better that than a broken horse!

To fit the new rings you have to cut them, then superglue them back together. They definitely work - Yog completely trashed his, but finding all the bits in the field and fitting it all back together without twisting them was a bit of a Mensa test :D

newrider.com