Forage analysis

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Who's done forage analysis? Did you find it beneficial? Do you do it regularly? Do you test both grass and hay? Do you test every batch of hay?

I'm wondering if mineral imbalance is playing into jess' thrush, every time I ease up on treating it, it flares up again in just a few days :( its not like she's stabled and stood in muck, she's out 24/7 on sand and I'm poo picking twice daily.
Treatment wise I've tried silvetrasol, cleantrax, Milton soaks and daily sprays, iodene (spray and ointment), ACV, hibiscrub scrubs & petes goo. All while picking feet twice daily. Its getting a bit ridiculous now.

Blimey! I'm surprised Cleantrax and Silvetrasol didn't shift it!

Not had forage analysed (have considered it but never actually done it) but it may be worth a try. At least you world know she is on the correct feeding regime.

Reactions: Jessey
I've just ordered pro hoof again, she hates it and its a job to get down her but she'll have to suck it up because I did notice her feet were tighter last time we tried it. Analysis seems like the way to go but I get new hay monthly (thats as much as I can store), though it can be off the same farm each time.

How frustrating that she has thrush, specially as you say when she's out and about, not like being stood in a wet bed. I remember J got it loads one winter on the yard where there was no turnout, even tho I mucked him out twice a day at least. I guess forage analysis is worth a try if it's not too costly? Has your vet any idea on the recurring thrush?

I've not really discussed it with the vet, farrier says its not bad enough to panic about but I want it gone as can only be adding to her discomfort.

It can take a while to shift as really the frogs need to develop into healthier frogs without the crevices for it to get in to, I would probably look at a slightly less aggressive routine - the risk you run with aggressive treatment is that healthy tissue will also be broken down but some of the stud you are using :)

I'm not using it all at once obviously :p thats just what I've tried over the last 6 months, I'm generally pretty lax on treating consistently so its only done every 2 or 3 weeks after the initial few days but this past month or so I've been treating them daily until it looked clear, thats when I'd stop for a few days (still picking but not applying anything) and it flares again. They are all meant to be non-necrotising treatments.

I used Dodson & Horrel. I'm glad I had mine done, as I think it's generally helped clear up Pete's niggly problems.

Have you tried treating every day for thrush? I spray every day with a maintenance type spray and have found it helps too. Don't forget, it's been so wet likely even though she's out in a field, she's out on wet, mild footing which if she's prone to infection anyway, it won't help.

From memory, I think the basic mineral analysis was £40-50 or so.

Jessey do you think she may be getting recurring bouts of thrush due to her cushings?
Possibly, what made me lean to diet is that hank has it too, it doesn't appear to effect him, as in he hasn't been ouchy with it, so I've been less concerned about him and have therefore just periodically treated his and not worried to much about it. I was going to have her ACTH levels retested when her jabs were done in March but the vet wasn't in a hurry too given she was moulting out well already and she hadn't retained any fat pads, but its lurking in the back of my mind.

Do you spray on or do you put the foot in a bucket to soak. If you spray on what happens when you put the foot down does it just drain off. I was thinking about this today after I tried spraying my lads feet as his frogs are soft and dying back. Hes out 24/7 and has always had an issue with the frogs being soft.

Have you tried treating every day for thrush? I spray every day with a maintenance type spray and have found it helps too. Don't forget, it's been so wet likely even though she's out in a field, she's out on wet
The last month I've treated virtually every day, other than the odd few days break when I thought we were getting somewhere. Being on sand here we are very dry already, I've mostly had her on the driest bit of the field and although we have had some rain even after a deluge its bone dry again in 24 hours, most people locally are struggling with very dry feet already.

Do you spray on or do you put the foot in a bucket to soak. If you spray on what happens when you put the foot down does it just drain off. I was thinking about this today after I tried spraying my lads feet as his frogs are soft and dying back. Hes out 24/7 and has always had an issue with the frogs being soft.
Ive been doing soaks every other week and spraying/painting on daily in between. Petes goo is good because its a cream so stays on longer, same with the betadine ointment I got in an attempt to give longer treatments.

I swear by Red Horse field paste - it doesn't budge for days, even in the winter! I'm not sure it will be enough to actively treat existing thrush though as I use it as maintenence through winter - might be worth a look?

Yes field paste is great, but my trimmer recommends Silvestrasol (or whatever it is called) to get rid of the thrush and Field Paste to keep it away.

The only thing not on the list is salt. It's all I use. Though I guess this could be too drying for yours.
I agree with Pfb you run the risk of killing good bacteria along with the bad using chemical products, especially with Milton and Hibiscrub. I don't touch Milton anymore.

If I'm lazy I buy salt, other than that I go and get a few bottles.
What does your local tack store stock? If it's independent I would think they stock things that are likely to work in your area on your ground?
Ours stocks some kind of paste.

Yes field paste is great, but my trimmer recommends Silvestrasol (or whatever it is called) to get rid of the thrush and Field Paste to keep it away.
Silvetrasol worked a couple of years ago when she has a little bit but doesnt seem to touch this recent bout :(
What does your local tack store stock? If it's independent I would think they stock things that are likely to work in your area on your ground?
Ours stocks some kind of paste.
Our nearest big tack shop is an hour away and being nearer the coast its very different soil in their area, our local place is our feed merchant but they just have a few bits and bobs, nothing really specific for thrush.
My farrier just messaged to say he can pop by this week and have another look and I'll talk to the vet too and see if she has any ideas and about retesting ACTH and insulin levels, pro hoof should be here weds too. I did some reading up and copper deficiency (and excess iron) can def effect feet and skin so hopefully she'll eat the bloody prohoof better this time.

Just been reading up on the PPID/EMS page, comments on there from the experts about PPID/EMS horses being more sensitive to low levels of copper and zinc and actually needing slightly more than others and they said that most pasture and hay in the UK is deficient for PPID/EMS horses. I've checked the Pro Hoof against their recommended levels and it exceeds them :D the blue chip lami light she is currently getting only provides half the recommended amounts of copper and has iron which will slow absorption so switching is def the right choice. Still not sure if I should have forage analysis done, she's on very limited grass and the bulk of her diet is hay but given I buy new batches so regularly I'm not sure it gives a reasonable idea of what's going on.

Dumb thought, is it Canker? Unlikely just a random thought.
Other thought, your terrain. How much access do you have to hills, unlevel ground, stony etc. Stimulate the frog.

I have never felt the need to analyse grass or hay. Purely because each batch is different because it's cut from a different part of the field.
Soaking the hay takes out nutrition, so how would an analysis help? Assuming you soak it to reduce sugar as grazing is limited?

I do recall a member doing this and paying hundreds of ££££ for the recommended supplements. I believe they stopped as didn't notice a change. I can't recall who it was, there could be a few members thinking back.

The retesting sounds sensible and feeding something to assist with that.
Mine ticked all but one box for ems. Had she not lost weight vet would have tested her. She lost it.

newrider.com