Free fuel to heat your home - Burn Horse Manure!

Our area is lacking trees...When winter comes, the local peasants harness up a horse or donkey, take the cart out, pick a tree and chop it down! (Who it belongs to is irrelevant!!) We keep a close eye on our 'woody' part of our land to stop people nicking our trees! If they've already fallen or are dead, fair enough, but you see people sneaking around with HUGE trees on the carts which you know full well have been 'pinched'!

Still waiting on emails back from several briquette companies!

Maybe Hungarian horse-poo isn't suitable for burning, hence they won't post here! ;)

This is exact same product - no idea of exchange rate re price sorry
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAMBROOK-COMB...hash=item200277717600&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Is basically one of the ones for making paper bricks, I got mine of Amazon, do they not ship worldwide?

Our area is lacking trees...When winter comes, the local peasants harness up a horse or donkey, take the cart out, pick a tree and chop it down! (Who it belongs to is irrelevant!!) We keep a close eye on our 'woody' part of our land to stop people nicking our trees! If they've already fallen or are dead, fair enough, but you see people sneaking around with HUGE trees on the carts which you know full well have been 'pinched'!

;)

OMG:eek: Thats terrible!!! What a cheek! I would be no good at all - I would have to set tree thief traps:p Fancy pinching somebody elses stuff like that!!!!!

Never thought of the legal side - didn't know you couldn't burn it on the muck heap either! Going slightly o/t can you just spread your muck heap so long as its on your own land and its agricultural land? Just wondering......

Well if the local bobby wants to come and shove his head in my solid fuel burner that's up to him! :D :D

Peat comes in many forms, the top cut, just below the fail is generally hairy and birns quickly without a huge amount of heat. As you cut down, each layer gets more compact and of a higher calorific value.

On really good peat banks you get a lovely black solid peat which looks like coal and burns like coal, once it's been dried.

We are the only folk cutting peat, the bogs are growing much MUCH faster than we can cut them. Machines are banned, it all has to be cut by hand.

No issues at all with peeps in the local area using it as fuel sustainably esp with the hand cutting, blinkin hard work. Just dont like it being flogged at petrol stations or in growbags down south!:)

I like my trees growing too, but thankfully our firewood is forestry conifer offcuts, and these do get regrown, plus we are taking the waste brushwood (still leaving lots on the forest floor for the foresty creatures including our red squizzles!).

Ash is the best firewood but we dont have it up here. I used to harvest it at our old place as it grew everywhere like weeds. It burns green too. But where I am any normal tree is stunted and wizened by the snow and winds.......:eek:

A friend of mine used to burn her manure on her own land. The neighbours complained to the Environmental Agency. Cue visit from them and slapping of hands. :rolleyes:

Farmers spread manure on fields every year. This was what my friend resorted to when she was rollocked for burning it. :)

Ooooh!!!!!!!! I bought a paper brick maker 16 years ago when we moved into this house. I spent bl**dy hours shredding the paper (no such thing as household shredders then!) and soaking it. I put it in, tried to squeeze the handles, and made about 3. I left them to dry out (took longer than 3 weeks), put them on the fire and they were gone in minutes hahaha! So the brick maker is still in the shed.

Has anyone actually tried to burn manure on a fire? Just wondering how long a brick burns for. Will try it this winter I think, just laughed about it to husband and he told me exactly where the brick maker is! He's keen to try it!:eek: Or should I say, keen for ME to try it;)

It MAY even stop me whinging about poo-picking if I know it's a suitable free fuel. Good exercise too!

I'm down to one horse now, so may have to follow him around with a bucket to keep the production line moving....:eek: I shall call my home made fuel "shicks" - er, bricks made out of sh...ovel-loads-of-poo:D

If it does smell, I shall be divorced, the children won't visit and friends shall make excuses why they can't come round. The house will be permanently tidy, and I'll be as happy as a pig in shicks!!!!!!!:p:D

When my husband and I were living and working in various supposedly-undeveloped places overseas, dried dung was quite a common fuel source. It seems to be a hot, but short-lived, fuel source, and did not smell unpleasant when burning.

You could always try making it into 'pancakes' and slapping it onto the side of a south-facing wall (with overhang to protect from the rain) to dry off ...

Don't quote me but I seem to remember reading something that if the manure is within the boundaries of your own home then its classed as household waste not commercial waste and I think that therefore its not under the same regulations as commercial waste. Also I think that its illegal for the open burning of manure as a controlled waste but this only applies to commercial waste. You'd have to check it with a legal eagle.

I'd like to see the environment agency complaining about it at my house as we've been informed that we must use watered down cow pats to seal the inside of our chimneys. Oh the joys of living in a listed building.

Have we got the wrong end of the stick here? I don't think burning manure per se is illegal, just trying to set fire to muck heaps and causing a smoke nuisance. They tend not to burn very well :D

I'd like to see the environment agency complaining about it at my house as we've been informed that we must use watered down cow pats to seal the inside of our chimneys. Oh the joys of living in a listed building.

Oh my god :eek: that would pong :D Why do they want you to put cow pats in your chimney? Surely there is some other natural material that doesn't smell of cow **** :D

I'm looking into getting rid of our gas guzzling fire and have the chimney done out so that we can have a log burning stove. I've always wanted one so this is a great way to convince my bloke to spend the money on one :D

If anyone does try this please update post to let us know how it goes :)

Brilliant!

Right I'm off to the stables to bring some horse manure home, other half is in for a shock :) Once I tell him its free fuel he should get over it!

Why do you need to mould it into brick shapes - to make it more visually acceptable? Surely if it is dry it doesn't matter?

With regards to burning manure I'm sure this is not illegal (unless in a smokeless zone), but you are not allowed to be a nuisance to others (same with any bonfire).

I have a rayburn and open fires in my home....I've never been one to poo pick but I suppose it may be worth my while.....

I laughed when I read this, initially.

We have 4 Horses on the Farm I keep Sioned and an awfully big MUCK HEAP, lol as they are all stabled at night and the paddocks are poo picked regularly.

I am gonna try this over the next few weeks.....make some and try it out on my woodburner in the 'Dining Room' of all places, lol, gosh I
hope there really is no odour, they will think its my cooking!!!! I burn both logs and coal at the moment, maybe the odd 'brick' will help
it burn longer, its got to be worth a try.

I will let you all know HOW I GET ON:p

Last edited:
burning dried horse poo in a log burner does not smell. i will be makin my poo bricks in the summer, got a cement mixer will put wet poo and some shavings in it to mix it well(mixing shaving with the poo to help it burn)stick in bricket, will make lots ready for winter. i go to the woods every day and collect wood and twigs to burn every night.why pay for something thats free

newrider.com