Frustrating horses!!!

It has upset me more because my 8 year old is developing an interest in horses and I really don’t want him to get bitten. I have lost times of the amount of times Ben has asked for treats (which I never give him), and I have told my kids not to worry because he would never bite. I can’t say that anymore.

I know other people so treat him so I have put a sign on his door asking them not to. I can’t really do anything else.
Other people drive me bloody insane!!! Why do they treat other peoples horses, even when asked not to! Theres a woman at our fields and she feeds hers and treats even though we have a never ending supply of grass! And ive said a million times never ever give my horse carrots, he puts on enough weight and he bites and the other day she went "im giving P a carrot" i said no, dont! And i snapped it at her tos hwo my annoyance and she went "ok iv given him half" looked up and there he eas munching half a carrot! God i was raging

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Other people drive me bloody insane!!! Why do they treat other peoples horses, even when asked not to! Theres a woman at our fields and she feeds hers and treats even though we have a never ending supply of grass! And ive said a million times never ever give my horse carrots, he puts on enough weight and he bites and the other day she went "im giving P a carrot" i said no, dont! And i snapped it at her tos hwo my annoyance and she went "ok iv given him half" looked up and there he eas munching half a carrot! God i was raging

No business treating other people's horses without being told they can, but at the same time you have no business criticizing her for treating her own.

@Mary Poppins hopefully the people on your yard will respect your sign.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
MP in my view your son needs to learn that all horses can bite and all horses can kick and all horses can tread on you or gte startled and knock you over! I would not stop him spending time round Ben but it is probably not useful to say he would never do x, y, z anyway as we can never say that about any horse and learning how to be safe around horses is a crucial part of gaining skills and confidence.

No business treating other people's horses without being told they can, but at the same time you have no business criticizing her for treating her own.

The vet told her that the horse is over weight and thats why the horse is now more lame than eber with her arthritis and she might want to look at putting the horse to sleep if she cant get the weight off

I personally would get the weight off the horse, as she was only slightly stiff beofre the massive weight gain

Its not my buisness.... i do however have an opinion which i am entitled too and i wouldnt feed her horse anything unles she said so

Agree with kpnut. But my share mare was a biter and you need to take care. It was some years before I was allowed even to groom her and that then took 3 months of careful Rashid style training,starting with leading her and untacking. Ben is not in full work and convalescent horses in my experience need constant revision of ground manners.
Take care of yourself and your kids.Bites and kicks can seriously injure even experienced yard staff. Until my fall this year my own worst injury was a bite to my thumb. In my first year of riding and not from a horse I knew.

Reactions: Prjsmk
I had someone who used to winged at me and say oh look at that face, after she had rattled the packet and treated her own. Then she'd tip bit mine. My horse started getting bolshy with me pushing me with his head. In the end they left the yard, never been so glad.

Reactions: Prjsmk
newrider.com