Girth help please!!

Drummers mum

I love my pony!
Feb 1, 2004
Stratford-on-Avon
Visit site
I had Drummer in a nice shaped aeroform (sp) girth with elastic at one end, I loved it because it was easy to do up round his large belly and he seemed comfy but I thought it was contributing to saddle movement because of the elastic, then I read a post about not using the elastic side to do it up which is what I do as I can't do the other side.

So...

I bought a cottage craft cotton one to try. Its made a slight difference with saddle movement but I have real problems doing it up tight and today Drummer put his ears back and tried to nip me which he has NEVER done before.

So my question is what shall I do?

If you and your horse were happy with the elastic girth then don't change it because someone told you that it's not okay. I've always done elastic girths up on the elastic side and it's not a problem at all so long as you are aware that they can be over tightened and be careful.

If you do want to change girth then I would recommend the wintec shaped girth. I switched to one from an elastic end girth and my saddle moves around a lot less. It has elastic all the way through rather than at the end, and it seems much more difficult to over-tighten than elastic end girths.

Although I absolutely love my double-elastic girth and wouldn't trade it for the world, I hope I can offer one piece of advice here:

Check your saddle fit.

Especially if Drummer is as round as you say he is, he might be a little fleshy around the withers? If so, that can keep the saddle from staying in the proper place, especially if it's too narrow or wide to begin with. :) Also, might need a chiro adjustment, too.

As far as getting advice on here, I suggest you PM galadriel -- she is an expert saddle-fitter and works with massage and such so she'd be a great person to talk to!

TBEventer2002: Thanks, Galadriel has already been loads of help with my saddle and I've recently had it adjusted. But what do you mean by fleshy round the withers and how can this effect us?

Melanie D: How tight do you do your elastic girth, I don't over do it and make sure I can get my hand in when I'm on, does this sound right? I might look into a Wintec but not sure how short they go, I only need a 34" or 36".

one thing, which im sure u wil all know ne way, but when u have done the girth up check it, but right at the bottom....as far as u can lean down -if ** already mounted...or if not, then between the legs...as ive seens many ppl checking the girth just under the saddle flaps which seems pointless to me!

sorry if that sounded patronising as it wasnt meant to

kate
xxx

thanks and no you don't sound patronising, many people don't know how to check a girth. I always lean right down and check it by his legs (and still worry its not right!!)

Just wanted to say that I feel that the elastic one is kinder to Drummer cos with the cottage craft I really have to tug and pull to get it up a hole!

Anyone else have similar problems or any sugestions?

I find it best to tighten up the girth altenately a hole at a time on each side and I walk him round a bit between tightenings. The WH puffs out quite a lot so I have to distract him with a bit of a wander round or by leaving him for a couple of minutes. I always do the last hole when I'm mounted.

Personally, I would stick with what suits your pony best. She'll be a much nicer ride if she's comfy. Cotton girths are lovely when the weather is hot because they absorb sweat which synthetic girths don't but if they don't suit they don't suit.

I've always been chary of "advice" since I was told the WH was evading the bit by wagging his head up and down and I was advised variously to use a flash nose band, a tight standing martingale and/or a harsher bit, to stop him. I called the dentist instead who spotted that the WH had a sharp tooth which had cut into the inside of his cheek! Result - tooth rasped, no more head tossing.

Just a quick bit of info re. girths.

Elastic at one end means there is give at only one end of the girth. The result is that the saddle will tip away from the elasticated side. Somestimes quite a lot... sometimes only a little. Either way - not a pleasent feeling for your horse, I'm sure. Elastic at both ends would in theory be much better as both sides can stretch at the same rate and allow the saddle to stay in the centre of the back.

There has been some really interesting research on the use of single sided elastic girths published - I will have a look and see if I can find it again.

One of the better options for girthing are the cord girths. The modern ones are very broad and soft. Because they are made from strands each one will cater for the shape of the horses belly individually. Any of the Wintec style girths with the elastic 'hidden' in the centre, inside the girths are good too.

As you may have gathered, I am not really a fan of elastic girths per se.

As for checking your girth while mounted. Think about this - as you lean forward to check the girth, all your weight goes into the front of the saddle where the girth is webbed from. It will always seem looser when you check it and K888tie is quite right. The loosest point will be just below the saddle flaps as the girth leaves the horses side to go onto the sweat flap there. And finally, when you sit upright in the saddle again having just tightened the girth jus that bit more, the horse may be just a tad uncomfortable as the girth will self tighten when you sit back on the seat of the saddle.

Hope that helps!

Usually with an elastic girth I would do it up as tight as a normal girth so the elastic is giving some extra breathing room for the horse rather than helping you get the girth tighter. The one exception to that is that I did used to use the elastic to get the girth tighter for mounting as I have a very round horse! I use the wintec one now and usually jump on from the mounting block or gate or something so I don't have to use the stirrup so girth stays quite loose all the time, but I do have a horse who seems to hate any form of belly squeezing. I prefer girths with no elastic or ones with the elastic not just at one end, and hippo agrees with me! Rideaway do the Wintec chafeless girth in really small sizes if you want to try one.

Thanks everyone you have given me alot to think about.

Remmy, I tried a cord girth but it ended all bunched up!

Sidesaddlelady, I agree about the advice thing, its my decision in the end, I just wanted to get other peoples opinions as I was a little stumped!

MelanieD, its not that I was trying to get it tighter, I just found I could do it up smoothly where as the cotton one I feel like I'm yanking it up each hole and as he blows himself out and we go up 5 holes thats alot of yanking! I felt cruel and he obviously decided he'd had enough last time!

A question about the wintec, how stretchy is it?

newrider.com