Giving my foal back her confidence.

ponynut

CORSEWALL LASS
Oct 14, 2001
Yorkshire
Visit site
I am at a loss what to do about my three month old cob filly (to make 15.2 H/W).
We were doing fine (according to "from birth to backing") she loves being handled and always comes to call ( usually before her mum) and is a real people foal.
Everything has been great and she used to lead out with interest without a fuss until a car freaked her out on the narrow lane her field is on rushing at her even though he could not get past. She bolted for home pulling me along the ground before I could let go. She was physically unhurt unlike my battered ribs but now hates the leading process.
She now lashes out with her foreleg or tries to pull away and buck violently when leading. If I walk by her shoulder she walks with me fine but with the rope not a chance.
What am I doing wrong? What do I do next?

You need to go right back to basics with her. By the sounds of it she's frightened of being restrained. Teach her that the leadrope doesn't mean harm. Start by rubbing it over her body, then by her head. Each time make sure she's happy and praise her.
Then take hold of the clip end as if you're going to clip the leadrope onto her halter. However just slip your fingers under one of the straps and let her lead you, then lead her, but gently.
Now change to a lunge line, this allows you to step back if she kicks up a fuss. Clip it on, if she doesn't react, walk on gently, but don't tug.
If she has a paddy, step back and allow her to meet the end of the line, once she steps forward praise her with your voice, if you can't reach her without stepping forward gently tighten the line until she either steps forward or kicks up a fuss. The aim is to teach her to step RIGHT up to you so you can rub her and give her a kind word. Remember to keep the session short and end on a good note.
She will realise that it's not good to throw a paddy, as what she tries to avoid more or less happens; she meets the pressure of the halter (remember when you held on when she dragged you?!)
Take your time! Good luck and well done with all the hard work. Keep me updated!:D

If she's only three months old I really wouldn't be taking her out on the roads. She's still a tiny baby, and although lots of handling is fine, I think there's plenty of time for more grown-up stuff when she's older. I'd just leave her to play with Mum in the field for now.

As far as leading goes, I'd just stick to leading her beside her mum. If you can do as Katie suggests and get her used to the rope itself, maybe you could just trail it over her back very gently and encourage her to walk alongside the mare. Whatever you do, it must be very, very gentle, and you mustn't force her in any way.

leading foal

Yes I agree with you not doing road work but the problem is that we have no choice but to get her used to some road work as the fields she lives in need to be rotated and she needs to get used to going between them. Also she has come on so fast that she will have to be weaned early so she is not such a tiny baby!

Sorry got cut off!

Thanks the lunge line idea did help. On this she was alert and unthreatened more interested in playing with my fleece zip than worrying about retraint!

When you say she's come on very fast I assume you mean physically? Why do you say she'll have to be weaned early? Foals are emotionally as well as physically dependant on their dams, and for myself I think even the norm of 6 months is a bit too early.

Weaning foal

Yes she is pretty well developed physically. She is becoming increasingly independent and disappears out of mum's sight at the other end of the field quite happily (it has a thick hedge that goes round a corner). She is eating hay and foal mix plus the odd carrot or three.
Once she is weaned she will be turned out with a small group to learn about herd behaviour. At the moment she is just with mum and can only see others over a fence. Mum is also getting a little sick of maternity.
However if things don't feel right I will keep them together as long as I see fit.
Common sense and gut reaction will prevail over a projected timetable.

newrider.com