Guess the colour!

ponynut

CORSEWALL LASS
Oct 14, 2001
Yorkshire
Visit site
As I said I was blessed with accidental issue- I bought a mare that was THREE WEEKS PREGNANT! She is dapple grey and sire is chestnut. My filly was born dark brown with a black mane and tail and two hind socks and a large star and snip. (May sound muddled but she is gorgeous.) Kismet is now going black as her Winter coat comes through. Has any one any suggestions to her final colour as I can't make up my mind but favour grey.

Any Ideas?

Hmm...I reckon grey in the end. Though I always thought that chestnut was the dominant colour gene!?

My filly is by a very dark bay stallion, out of a grey mare. She's bay roan now but will be all grey, possibly rose grey by the time she's six (2 now). She had black legs, mane and tail when I got her a year ago, and they're already going white.

Larri

Let's see, I hope I'm remembering horse color genetics correctly:

If your mare is homozygous for gray (that is, she has two copies of the gray gene), then the foal will be gray since your mare will always pass on the gray gene and gray is dominant. If she's heterozygous (has only one gray gene), then there's a 50% chance of a gray foal (assuming that the sire doesn't have a gray gene). Do you know the colors of your mare's sire and dam?

Graying usually shows up around the eyes and muzzle first.

Last edited:
colour

Thanks for the inputs.
So grey seems possible. I ish I knew Mom's lineage.
I think Kizzy will be grey or bay.
She is sound and affectionate and as the saying goes "there is no such thing as a bad colour".
Time will tell.......

newrider.com