Help! My horse doesnt like hacking

snowball

Jan 31, 2009
West Wales
Feeling a bit sorry for myself today!:( Just come to the conclusion that i shouldnt keep trying to get my mare to like hacking.

I ve had her since she was 18 months, taken her for walks, trained her in hand and under saddle (must have done 500 hours) using NH principles and shes great in the fields at home too. Now shes grown up at 5 years, shes the gentlest horse you could meet, safe with anyone, rides in a headcollar, perfect.

Take her out for a hack and she gets very tense, even though i ve tried everything to get her to chill out, let her eat grass, follow my other horse, you name it. Shes not naughty, just scared, and although she will try for me it puts a strain on our relationship.

There thats better, out in the open. Trouble is i LOVE hacking, its the best, and now ive got a great horse who doesnt. Horses eh:)

What's she like hacking on her own?. We've found that one of ours in so much better on his own - get very tense and silly if out with another horse which is fine by me as am happy to go off on our own;)

I ve tried both and she prefers company, but is still very tense either way. The only thing that seems to relax her is seeing the gate at the end of the drive!

At one time she wouldnt leave the yard, and she does hack out now on her own - last week we went to the beach, and i tried to get her to see it could be fun, and to tell the truth i thought she was enjoying it for a bit, and then as we made our way home, she just got more and more stressed and tense.

My newer horse who is 14 had (I suspect) never hacked out and found it very stressful. I find that if he starts getting uptight, I get off & walk with him until he relaxes, then remount - repeat until you get a result. It seems to give my chap confidence if I walk with him rather than riding. He has got a lot more confident over a year and I seldom have to dismount now.

Sue (BTW - boots in the post to you on Monday :)), I had the same problem with Frayne. As Yokel, I found that dismounting whenever needed, which could be for most of the hack :rolleyes:, was the best way of giving her confidence. She is now generally very good and really enjoys a ride out. You do get people stopping and asking if you are all right?/why you aren't riding? - but it is worth it in the long run.

Ali xx

Yes, I used to get off and walk a lot, and it did help, and i have done more walking with her than any other horse, ever (in the last 25 years i might add!!!)

Just for now i have decided to school her about the fields, which she loves, so that both of us enjoy our time together, and, i suppose, try again!!

newrider.com