help with cantering

ems

The horse-mad girl!
Sep 28, 2001
London
emilyhfshchorses.8k.com
Hi! When I canter, I tend to bounce a little in the saddle. I watch my friends canter and they can do it without moving their seat a single inch out of the saddle. How can I canter better?

Thanks, Ems ;)

I used to do the exact same thing, then my instructor told me to try to go ummm, back, down, forwardm i think! if you feel for the motion, and make your body try and go in that motion, it helps.
If youre not sure, watch someone canter, look what kind of movement their body does, like does it go down at some point, or push forward etc.

I dont know if that will help, but it helped me.

It takes a while to get the hang of the canter so keep on trying.
Check you're not stiff anywhere eg if your hips are tense that will cause you to bounce. Maybe you could have a lesson and see what the instructor thinks.
Also some horses have canters that are very hard to sit to.:)

Ya, some horses are VERY hard to sit too.

There is this kinda fat mare, that has an easy canter to sit to, but ehn, i went to an appy gelding, who is bouncy, and sometimes spazzy, and continued to learn to canter on him, eek!!!!
Now, i have no problem sitting to his canter, and even sitting trot, not everyone can sit to him!! its likr riding a 2X4 my instructor says, lol.

Dont worry, youll get it!!!! i did after at least a year of riding, and doing no stirrups work helps a lot (yuck, i know, i dont like rising trot with no stirrups!!)
BUT, since i did a lot of work at trot, and with no stirrups before i started cantering a lot, i think it took less time to get used to sitting to it, im actually better cantering without stirrups than with, because i dont depend on them.

Wel,, ive blabbered on AGAIN, so TTYL!

It does depend a lot on the horse, I thought I had it cracked on one horse only to find I was terrible and bounced on a couple of others. I do seem to be making some progress at last though:)

It's important to stay up straight, keep the shoulders still and back and move the hips with the motion of the horse, (as described in the kinder way to ride part of this site). My big problem is posture, collapsing in the back, so the motion isn't absorbed and up you go. Tension in the leg doesn't help either.

I've done loads and loads of work without stirrups, this seems the best way to improve, in fact I find it much easier without than with.

Be reassured though, I thought it was just me but I've seen lots of supposedly more experienced riders bouncing too - we are not alone:)

thanx

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips! Yesterday I went for another hour hack and it was so cool. I cantered again, but because I was on a different horse, it was so much easier. I actually have a natural talent for cantering, I was told my instructor ;) :D, it was just that the horse I rode that other time was so fresh and bumpy when cantering. Yeh I can canter! Well, almost... :rolleyes:

Ems xx

canter

hi. get your horse into a canter. rock back and forth in the saddle. Just go with the motion. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HWO MUCH YOU MOVE!!!!
Go with the motion of the canter, and this will make your horse feel more comfortable.
Try lenghtening your stirrups on hole.
tell us how it goes.
will try to be helpful

happy rocking

just relax!

heya! The important thing is not to get too worried about it all. Try to relax and enjoy the canter. If you're trying to think of too many things at once, chances are you'll end up getting flustered and muddled. Believe me i know the feeling. Um.. perhaps a lesson on the lunge without stirrups so you can concentrate on your position and don't have to worry about controlling the horse. Its sometimes easier to canter on a hack so don't be fooled. In the school you have (theretically)more corners so more bending and a lot less space- you might need to think ahead more if there's other horses in the school! Try this excercise when you canter- imagine your bum is superglued to the saddle or you are physically connected to the horse-like you're one being and attached together. Close your eyes for one milisecond (on a straight side of the school) and feel the rhythm of the horse. Rock with him and most of all RELAX !!! Try to feel supple(warm up well before)If you tense up and grip it'll make you bounce like hell! Good luck and keep us posted! xxx ;) :D

newrider.com