Horse breed/type for bad hips!

Candy12

Candy12
Feb 18, 2009
Wales
I've only ever been a happy hacker & a few years ago after retiring my cob mare, I bought a safe steady 14.1hh heavyweight cob plod. Perfect, as I can't risk any accidents - don't bounce like I used to!!
Anyway, being a 'happy' hacker & not doing much in the winter - when I started riding again last spring, I found I have hardly any 'leg' at all. (my left hip has been crumbling since my twenties but is now, in my fifties, considerably worse!) The fact I couldn't use my legs, shouldn't have made much difference to my cob, but he started napping - so much so, that I couldn't push him more than 200 yards away from the stables!
I sent him away to be reschooled, so he would work on voice commands, but when my RI saw me ride him, she said that he was far too wide for me & because of my left hip & his breadth, I was riding lop-sided, which was what he was objecting to!
I refuse to give up!!!!
So, my lovely plod is going to be sold - but what kind of horse should I be looking for (& where)?
I don't think I could mount or dismount anything over 15.2hh.
I weigh 12 1/2 stone (horrors!).
I want something calm & sensible.
I won't be galloping, jumping, hunting or anything silly - just nice countryside hacking.
I definately need something slimmer than a heavyweight cob!

After reading about all the people on this forum with bad hips still riding - maybe you could give me some tips on what sort/type of horses you ride & how you get on with them - I've only ever had cobs.
Sorry this is abit long & thanks for reading - but as I said - I am NOT going to give up riding yet!!!!

Could something like an Icelandic work for you?

They're strong, hardy, a reasonable width, suitable for shorties (ask *Icyrider*!) and the tolt is exceptionally smooth which may help your hips a lot. You'd have to be careful RE: temprement (why can't I remember how to spell this?!), some are fruit loops, but that's the same with any breed.
Downside is the price tag!

How wide are Criollos? I hear they have bombproof to a fine art ;)

Find an icelandic with good tolt, no suspension so no bounce, very easy to sit esp if you have bad hips.

i don't have anything specific (that i know of!) wrong with my hips but i can totally empathise as i tend to not be able to walk very well when i get off and my hip clicks and is v painful :eek: i have an ISH and although i tried lots of narrow TB's (a fit TB can hold 12.5 stone - just look at polo ponies! and contrary to popular belief you do get some really nice quite happy hacker tb's ;)) i just really wanted my chunky lady! :eek:
ditto above about a narrower twist saddle though - makes BIG difference to me

how about an older/retired (from polo) - polo pony. they tend to be very responsive to weight aids and don't need much leg to get them going?

hi, i have hip and knee and back trouble and iv found that since i went treeless i dont suffer so much, get shot of your irons and get plastic or irons with a sping in so it take off the pressure off your knees and hips.

hey.

i would recommend a welsh section d or a connemarra, primarily.

i have terrible hips and knees (my hips inwardly rotate to the point whenever i have kids hello c section and my knees correct the problem so they are twisted 2 ways so i can sympathise with problems in finding a mount thats right even though i used to suffer when working with all sorts)

i like sec d's because they are generally more slender then the gypsy cobs and are usually of the same even temperment and quite content to plod around and be a happy hacker.

connemarra's i like because the have a little more go generally then the sec d's but are also slightly more slender, but again have a nice even temperment and some are happy with a calm life.

i also like tb crosses with native ponies. you have the slender aspect of the horse generally from the tb but also the hardiness of the native. and generally you get a large ponie from this mix (i have worked with tb x dartmoor, tb x highland and a tb x new forest)

highlands are also nice but are a horse that you have to be careful with them putting on the pounds when happy hackers.

now if your sitting lop sided on your horse and are having no pain or problems other then your position you could look into the saddle being a reason you sit lop sided (i know that with large deep seated saddles i sit off to one side and have spent years correcting it and i know in dressage saddles i sit funny as well, again something that i had to learn to correct) so you can look at that if there are no other issues before selling. i mean it may just be you having to be yelled at to sit straight for a while untill you can be aware of when your lopsided. dressage lessons would help this, again if this is the only reason you RI suggested another horse.

also one quick thing, i know when i went from riding a bunch of different types and sizes of horses to just a couple of the same build, when i would go from a larger horse after this ie a large wide cob, to a more slender horse my hips would feel it for like the next week and i would be forced to ice my hips and take some good painkillers. so bear in mind it may cause pain first off if your going from just riding your boy, because your hips will be used to it

best of luck in your hunt!!

also ride with a schooling whip on your weak side, that way if they do start to nap or do anything where you need a stronger leg then yours is you have that back up straight away. (i have to do this when doing adavanced lat movements and jumping as my right leg is no where near strong enough for some of the horses i have to ride)

I was going suggest a welsh d cross. My girls is d x hackney and is slightly more slender than a full d but is still a good weight carrier. (she carries me so has to be! lol)

Or what about a full up new forest? A good stocky forester would carry you all day without batting an eyelid but they aren't as wide as the cobby types.

I agree on Icelandics. I don't know much about hip problems, but Icelandics are quite narrow, not very tall, very strong and very very comfy.

I agree on Icelandics. I don't know much about hip problems, but Icelandics are quite narrow, not very tall, very strong and very very comfy.

I will confess to not knowing a huge amount about icelandics,but from seeing frances pics other day of them on their icelandics (hers and Wally's beach ride I think it was??),they really didn't look that narrow,quite round in fact as I recall??
They are also really not very tall,so may not suit OP depending on her height?? (am just thinking that OP mentioned being able to go up to 15.2,icey's are not anywhere near this kind of height are they??).

I would recommend something a bit more 'V' shaped,maybe a TB or TB x,or maybe a warmblood?? They are good for carrying weight,and can get sane ones!!
Another type I would highly recommend if you don't want to be relying on leg aids too much would be something like an ex polo pony,they are VERY responsive,and don't require a lot of 'nagging',are usually pretty bombproof and calm as well (apart from if you get them on a polo field of course lol;)).

I will confess to not knowing a huge amount about icelandics,but from seeing frances pics other day of them on their icelandics (hers and Wally's beach ride I think it was??),they really didn't look that narrow,quite round in fact as I recall??
They are also really not very tall,so may not suit OP depending on her height?? (am just thinking that OP mentioned being able to go up to 15.2,icey's are not anywhere near this kind of height are they??).

No, they're not usually that kind of height, though I have seen some around 15hh advertised. In any case, even the smaller ones can carry grown men. 12 1/2 stone would be no problem for an Icelandic. And of course, the shorter the horse, the easier it is to get on and off!

I consider them narrow, but then it depends what you compare them to, e.g. the barrel-shaped Highland that I'm riding at the moment...

I have an elderly friend who managed to continue riding for another 5 years after having a lot of probs with her hips - she changed from english riding to western and she found the longer leg position a lot less stressful on hips and knees. IMO the perfect horse would be a really well trained Arabian in a western saddle (not too wide) or a not too chunky QH. Both have smooth paces, the Arabian floaty and the QH close to the ground with very little knee action.

Icelandics

Just to join in, I have joint/spine arthritis, and saw a programme on Rural TV the other day about Icelandics, saying they were great for older people or those of us that have no bounce!! Did a bit of research and there are quite a few breeders.

Then having just moved yard bumped into a lady (in Devon) who has 3 or 4, she said that they don't all tolt (the comfy pace) and to buy from a really good breeder, she suggested a man in wales who was from Iceland, but I cant remember the name. Anyway that is a little useless but might just stop you buying any Icelandic.

Secondly I have now bought a treeless saddle (which I personally find V comfy) and Soft Tread stirrups after getting help here on NR. The soft tread stirrups have helped a lot (Performance Equestrian I think). You can get treeless with a twist, there are lots of knowledgeable people in this forum who can advise you.

I know what you mean about NOT giving up! I went "down in the world" and bought a young, well mannered 4 yo New Forest only 14hh, the smallest horse I have ridden for years, I like big horses, but havent looked back. Being a pony he is quite sharp so dont need lots of leg, being small I can get on if I have to get off out on the common, and when I get off I dont cry as I meet the ground!!!

Good luck.

Just to join in, I have joint/spine arthritis, and saw a programme on Rural TV the other day about Icelandics, saying they were great for older people or those of us that have no bounce!! Did a bit of research and there are quite a few breeders.

Then having just moved yard bumped into a lady (in Devon) who has 3 or 4, she said that they don't all tolt (the comfy pace) and to buy from a really good breeder, she suggested a man in wales who was from Iceland, but I cant remember the name. Anyway that is a little useless but might just stop you buying any Icelandic.

Secondly I have now bought a treeless saddle (which I personally find V comfy) and Soft Tread stirrups after getting help here on NR. The soft tread stirrups have helped a lot (Performance Equestrian I think). You can get treeless with a twist, there are lots of knowledgeable people in this forum who can advise you.

I know what you mean about NOT giving up! I went "down in the world" and bought a young, well mannered 4 yo New Forest only 14hh, the smallest horse I have ridden for years, I like big horses, but havent looked back. Being a pony he is quite sharp so dont need lots of leg, being small I can get on if I have to get off out on the common, and when I get off I dont cry as I meet the ground!!!

Good luck.

totally agree about the treeless saddle and the stirrups, it changes the way u sit to almost a more nateral possition and the softer stirrups takes the pressure off your knees which will help your hips or back.

Icelandics

The lady in Devon would have been talking about Smari Slater he has a website - http://www.eddahestar.com/
Also if you are interested in an Icelandic you could check out the IHSGB website.

I thought most Icelandics tolted (the comfy gait) it was pace that was rarer...

I've got a bad left hip - and a very very wide cob. Its not easy but a combination of sprenger bow balance stirrups (easier on the knees), a treeless saddle (but it took a bit of tweaking - think about hip savers) and spurs (to save your leg having to work so hard) I get there.

Maybe worth a try before you sell your boy?:)

12 and a half stone is nothing really, im 11 and a half stone, im only 22 and im 5ft 7 and i wouldnt call myself overweight, (little give out over)
how about a connemara pony, they are really sturdy and generally calm and really easily trained to voice commands (obviously depending on the horse)

I can only ride bareback comfortably now (for short periods!)

My Highland x traditional cob is VERY VERY wide, I'm fine on her bareback (nice chair seat required! ;)) but can't sit astride her on a saddle.

I find narrow horses comfy, but I'm heading for 6' tall, and weight nearly what you do, Candy12, so I feel terribly 'under horsed' on TB types.

The saddle DOES make a difference. IF I can face riding in a saddle, it is either a western saddle with lots of support, or a dressage saddle with a narrow twist.

Don't give up hope - I find ways and means of riding all mine (even if I can't walk for days afterwards!).

(P.S. Mine are also taught 'helpful things' to enable me to cope better - I can only dismount by passing my right leg forwards over the pommel / neck of the horse, so 'Head Down' means that my horse lowers their head and waits for me to struggle down. Often, dismounting is a 3-man operation! ;) I sometimes ride with 2 whips if I am feeling really weak, never need to 'use' them, but tapping my boot either side is generally enough for my horse to take notice. :))

newrider.com