Horse Hoof Boots vs Shoes.

Juliaa

Julia
Aug 20, 2017
London
Truthfully, I still lack the knowledge so I’ve come here to ask for others opinion since no matter how much I look on the internet nothing will beat other horse owners opinions!

My mare is currently shod on front feet, but I’ve seen there’s been a huge debate on horse boots and how they might be as good as having a shod horse. Of course money does come into this, shoeing a horse Is quiet pricey coming up to £60 every 6-8 weeks and my mare works around 5 hours a week maximum.

However I’m moving to college (living on campus) and will be bringing my horse with me to their equine centre and I will plan to work her for more than 5 hours including schooling, jumping XC, and was wondering if boots would be suitable for this type of work and if it would cause issues instead. Removing them after riding isn’t an issue as I’m content with that, but wanted to hear opinions from people who’ve had hoof boots or know more about them.

Recommendations of good horse boots are also welcome!

Thanks!

I have boots for my mare, we have renegade vipers now but have used cavallo simples, treks and easyboot gloves and epics, and boas in the past. I'm not anti shoes, I think there's a place for both And shoe as nec too.

I like boots but they aren't for everyone or every situation, my short version is though;

On the plus side they seem pricey to buy they last for 6-800 miles on normal going (stoney tracks, roadwork etc) so I get years of use out of them as most of my riding is on sand or grass, so I find them cost effective. Most are very sturdy and slippage isn't too much of an issue but you can add studs if it is. The feet aren't constantly constrained by a shoe.

On the down side, they can rub, they can be difficult to find the right style of boot to suit your horses, your horses may need time off work to transition to being barefoot (may not, too), you must maintain a regular trim schedule for you boots to fit and the more performance boots may require you to have a trim at a much shorter interval than a normal shoeing interval. Boots are more prone to breaking than shoes (though I have never had a failure personally and have been using boots on and off for 10 years)

Boots is not an easy, cheap option, they generally require less work from a farrier but more from the owner and if you're just off to college it probably isn't the best time to consider making the transition as that generally takes quite a bit of work too.

100% agree with what @Jessey said.
It’s not something you do for cost savings, it’s because you feel it’s more natural for your horse or better for his feet. I don’t think I’ve saved a lot of money over the years by having mine in boots rather than shoes, but I prefer the more natural approach.
It can be horrible too, putting boots on a horse with very muddy feet!!

I do think it costs me less now, but the initial boot buying, and selling again because they weren't right x5 was costly and slow, it helps that i trim my own horses so can keep the feet tweeted just right for the boots. The work that goes into it is def a labour of love, not an easy option.

Yes, I was surprised at how difficult it was to get set up with boots when I tried it many years ago now. The first obstacle was finding out what size I needed - the measurements are so precise and have to be taken in the exact right spot. I think Easyboots did something where you could order test boot sizers, so not a boot but something that fitted over the horse's hoof to try it for size. Luckily a very kind NR member who used boots came over and helped me measure up and try some of his boots on for size. The next thing that surprised me was how tightly fitting the boots have to be and how difficult and frustrating it was to get them on and off, especially off. My horse has very dainty legs and I was worried about twisting a fetlock or something as I tried to writhe the boots off. Once on I found them great on the road but one in particular used to pull off in heavy mud, plus I was worried about mud and silt working it's way into the boot and causing rubs. In the end I gave up and had him shod, which is so much easier.

I know my problems were partly caused by the fact that my horse has a slightly odd conformation and his forefeet are different shapes - one grows out to the side a little. It's not noticeable when he's just been to the farrier, but I'm guessing it makes fitting boots difficult.

In answer to your question about show jumping, XC etc - in an arena I wouldn't have thought that you'd need boots at all (once your horse has transitioned to barefoot). On grass I'm not so sure. I don't know if boots would give you the same grip as shoes with studs.

Wow thanks everyone!

Yeah transitioning to boots might be a bit too much for me and my horse at the current stage where everything is so tight on time, I did plan for her to transition onto barefoot though before we get to college, but I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to feet so worried riding a lot would wear them down, but i guess it depends on terrain once again.

My mare currently has only front feet done, her back feet don’t usually require trimming as she chips them herself and the farrier sometimes just comes along to “neaten” them to up.

Would you all say that transitioning to barefoot is the better option for horse, bearing in mind she’ll be working more but it is on soft terrain?
And what supplements or oils would be needed to keep the foot healthy?

All the horses at my yard are now barefoot. We use Scoot Boots on the front if hacking, but nothing in the school or the stony track down to it. I find it an easy system to cope with.
The Farrier fits them for size for us , but there is also a tool on their website for measuring.
A foot trim is £20 and Scoots are £140, so fairly cost-effective. They are very hard-wearing and replacement straps are easy to get - in bright colours in case you do lose one.
My previous horse had big, solid feet and was neither shod nor booted with no problems for many years. I could do a 15 mile hack without her even batting an eyelid! She also “self-trimmed” and the Farrier just kept an eye on her really.
Current mare had shoes on when we bought her last Nov, but it turns out they were the first shoes she had ever had so she has been fine barefoot so far. Her Scoots are very easy to put on and off and don’t seem to bother her at all. I think cobby types do take to being barefoot much more easily than the finer breeds as they tend to have such sturdy feet for their size.
I also noticed that her feet are rarely holding any mud or stones now as they seem to become very self-cleaning when barefoot. That is a real bonus! Good luck with your decision :)

Last edited:
When are you off to college?
Will you realistically have more time than now?

We are unshod. I don't boot anymore but they are there in case. I don't do the this or that verses anymore, what I think or feel isn't relevant, it's the horse's needs that come over my views.
We are feathered and boots were fine and simple even if she was filthy.
What supplements do you feed now for your shod hooves? You might find they are multi purpose and you can just carry on with them.

I have hoof boots for Zi. He's doing really well with them and has made the transition from shod to barefoot very successfully. I have a super farrier who has done a great job and has helped us with this. Both OH and myself had no real knowledge on hoof boots and she's helped us loads with the fitting and choosing. They aren't a cheap option - ours cost in and around £400 with the fitting etc. We hired them first from the Hoof Boutique and then bought a set. We have Easyboots and so far have been very pleased with them. However, his feet are continually changing atm so at some point we will have to sell in these boots on maybe and invest in a bigger size - but we won't know exactly.

Yes, I was surprised at how difficult it was to get set up with boots when I tried it many years ago now. The first obstacle was finding out what size I needed - the measurements are so precise and have to be taken in the exact right spot. I think Easyboots did something where you could order test boot sizers, so not a boot but something that fitted over the horse's hoof to try it for size. Luckily a very kind NR member who used boots came over and helped me measure up and try some of his boots on for size. The next thing that surprised me was how tightly fitting the boots have to be and how difficult and frustrating it was to get them on and off, especially off. My horse has very dainty legs and I was worried about twisting a fetlock or something as I tried to writhe the boots off. Once on I found them great on the road but one in particular used to pull off in heavy mud, plus I was worried about mud and silt working it's way into the boot and causing rubs. In the end I gave up and had him shod, which is so much easier.

I know my problems were partly caused by the fact that my horse has a slightly odd conformation and his forefeet are different shapes - one grows out to the side a little. It's not noticeable when he's just been to the farrier, but I'm guessing it makes fitting boots difficult.

In answer to your question about show jumping, XC etc - in an arena I wouldn't have thought that you'd need boots at all (once your horse has transitioned to barefoot). On grass I'm not so sure. I don't know if boots would give you the same grip as shoes with studs.

Yes it isn't that straight forward - not like I used to think. But luckily our farrier is very barefoot minded and has helped us a lot with the fitting and purchase. I don't think I'd have been comfortable doing it on my own. Specially not at the price they were, wouldn't like to get it wrong.

All the horses at my yard are now barefoot. We use Scoot Boots on the front if hacking, but nothing in the school or the stony track down to it. I find it an easy system to cope with.
The Farrier fits them for size for us , but there is also a tool on their website for measuring.
A foot trim is £20 and Scoots are £140, so fairly cost-effective. They are very hard-wearing and replacement straps are easy to get - in bright colours in case you do lose one.
My previous horse had big, solid feet and was neither shod nor booted with no problems for many years. I could do a 15 mile hack without her even batting an eyelid! She also “self-trimmed” and the Farrier just kept an eye on her really.
Current mare had shoes on when we bought her last Nov, but it turns out they were the first shoes she had ever had so she has been fine barefoot so far. Her Scoots are very easy to put on and off and don’t seem to bother her at all. I think cobby types do take to being barefoot much more easily than the finer breeds as they tend to have such sturdy feet for their size.
I also noticed that her feet are rarely holding any mud or stones now as they seem to become very self-cleaning when barefoot. That is a real bonus! Good luck with your decision :)

My mare usually ‘self-trims’ her back feet as she don’t have shoes on the back ones, apart from when they get badly chipped, my farrier will just neaten it up. But I am considering transitioning my mare to barefoot, and invest in boots even though it might be expensive but when hacking on roads I’d like to prevent her feet from getting worn down, but other than that, it’s just soft terrain and XC.

Thank you so much for your input!

When are you off to college?
Will you realistically have more time than now?

We are unshod. I don't boot anymore but they are there in case. I don't do the this or that verses anymore, what I think or feel isn't relevant, it's the horse's needs that come over my views.
We are feathered and boots were fine and simple even if she was filthy.
What supplements do you feed now for your shod hooves? You might find they are multi purpose and you can just carry on with them.

Surprisingly I’ll hopefully have more time during college, as I’ll be living on campus, and I’ll be at college 3x a week and my mare will only be up the road, whereas now she’s on a yard 30 mins away (live in London so it’s hard to find a yard near me).

She keeps her back feet well kept, as they aren’t shod, so was wondering if it would be more beneficial for a horse to go barefooted. So far I don’t use much for her hooves, as they’re really healthy, just natural hoof oil home made, She’s never had thrush or any incidents with her feet, just the occasional chips. But feel free to recommend any other supplements that would help with the transition to barefoot. :)
Many thanks!

Yes it isn't that straight forward - not like I used to think. But luckily our farrier is very barefoot minded and has helped us a lot with the fitting and purchase. I don't think I'd have been comfortable doing it on my own. Specially not at the price they were, wouldn't like to get it wrong.

Yeah I’ve looked at prices and wow. It’s pricey. But hopefully worth it in the long term cost!

I have hoof boots for Zi. He's doing really well with them and has made the transition from shod to barefoot very successfully. I have a super farrier who has done a great job and has helped us with this. Both OH and myself had no real knowledge on hoof boots and she's helped us loads with the fitting and choosing. They aren't a cheap option - ours cost in and around £400 with the fitting etc. We hired them first from the Hoof Boutique and then bought a set. We have Easyboots and so far have been very pleased with them. However, his feet are continually changing atm so at some point we will have to sell in these boots on maybe and invest in a bigger size - but we won't know exactly.

Wow that’s great! Have been thinking along the lines of going barefoot now and just keeping boots for hacking on roads and such, I mean it’ll be pricey but hopefully cost less in the long term effect!

Many thanks :D

Reactions: Trewsers
I don't find barefoot cheaper as my trimmer costs more than my farrier did! But I am much happier with Ziggy's feet and I'll never miss the warning signs of laminitis again.

I don't find barefoot cheaper as my trimmer costs more than my farrier did! But I am much happier with Ziggy's feet and I'll never miss the warning signs of laminitis again.

I guess it’s different for everyone. But I mean it all comes down to what is better for the horse, despite the costs, if shoes where a better option, I’d stick to that. But it seems everyone is pleased with their transition to barefeet!

I’m now more towards having my hose barefoot, but I’ll always talk to my farrier and see what he says.

I guess after the farrier as the horse unshod, I’m guessing I’ll be having to work her less to get her adjusted to unshod front feet? Or will it not make much of a difference for her, so carry on working her as normal?

It depends on lots of things - the sort of work she does, how hard her feet are, and how she reacts to new sensations.

Ziggy was cautious on his bare feet when he first had his shoes off and tends to be careful for a couple of days after a trim, but now he's accustomed to it he can go anywhere. In the school or on soft surfaces he could always go all day, and roads tend to be fine too, he is only sensitive to stones of a certain size.

You'll need to try your lass out on all the different surfaces and see how she goes.

Reactions: Juliaa
It depends on lots of things - the sort of work she does, how hard her feet are, and how she reacts to new sensations.

Ziggy was cautious on his bare feet when he first had his shoes off and tends to be careful for a couple of days after a trim, but now he's accustomed to it he can go anywhere. In the school or on soft surfaces he could always go all day, and roads tend to be fine too, he is only sensitive to stones of a certain size.

You'll need to try your lass out on all the different surfaces and see how she goes.

Thank you for the info! Will just go for it and see how she goes, she’s quite the tough horsey so I’m not doubting her! :D

In college we’ll primarily be working in sand schools and grassy areas, so that shouldn’t be an issue!

Thanks everyone for the input! Have decided to go for the barefoot experience with my mare and will see how it goes after I talk to my Farrier about it!

All you can do is give it a try, it might be the best thing you do or equally it might not work for your horse, but I will second everyone else, it's not always the cheapest option and it certainly requires more time from an owner.

Reactions: Juliaa
newrider.com