horse leaning on hands

CHRISTINE

May 26, 2000
manchester
Visit site
Hi i have a young pony who i am schooling she is prety forward going , but she puts her head down when i am riding her and leans on my hands . If i give with my hands she puts her head to the floor, i don't know how to correct his any sugestions anyone???

I had this problem for a long time with my pony and he was a real pain to ride, sometimes even pulling me out of the saddle.
I used side reins for a while to help him know where his head is supposed to be.
I used them for about 2 - 3 weeks and he is great now, rarely puts his head down and my arms feel alot better.
If he does go back to putting his head down i will remind him with the side reins.

Always make sure that if your horse is leaning on you, you use lots of leg, don't be afraid to be quite strong with them - short, sharp, strong nudges, while raising your hands slightly to help him come up. If the horse is using you to balance himself, he is probably not going forwards properly from behind and finds it quite hard to balance. Remeber he's only young and will probably improve with age. Go slow with him and keep him on larger circles and don't expect too much of him. Does he lean right from the very beginning of the ride or just towards the end? If the latter, he's probably tired.

Keep trying, he'll get it eventually, and when he does, it'll be amazing!

Fiona.

P.S I wouldn't recommend putting side reins on something so young, you would be better encouraging him to go forwards correctly instead of using artificial aids to correct a problem so early in his training. He could learn to rely on them and could be even worse when he finds himself without them.

thanks for the replys

Thank you for your replys to my question. I am sure it is a balance thing she does it all he time , from the beggining of the ride to the end. She also won't go foward in the school she backs up , but that is not a new thing she will back up to get out of coming in from the feild.So as you can see I am having a few problems , I don't expect her to be doing everthing but she will buck if i use my whip when she ignores my leg and backs up untill she is into he fence.
I haven't tried long reining her i don't think she would co-operate.BY the way she is four and i have only had her 5 months, I think I will have to invest in some expert help
Thankyou again

newrider.com