Horses loose in London

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like a chaotic morning in London if you haven't seen the news, hope everyone and the horses are not too badly injured. The grey in particular is a worry

I just hope man and beast are ok in the end. The black one who ran into the bus looked a bit of a mess too (unsprisingly) and from the sounds of it some memvers of the public got run over by them too.

Just goes to show even exceptional training doesnt overcome the fact they are at the end of the day, horses.

The update is three soldiers injured and a cyclist are in hospital.
The horses are receiving vet treatment.

Five horses bolted, one ended up five miles away.
That is the true definition of bolted.

The two that were seen running have been named as Vida (grey) and Trojan (black)
Two have undergone operations, Vida and Quaker, both are in a serious condition.

There is a post on who. One of the attending vets mother has given an update direct from the vet. They are ok but obviously injured and being closely monitored. The couple of things they were worried might happen, haven't happened so fingers crossed for more positive updates.

Reactions: MrA and Jessey
I wouldn't expect the two receiving treatment to return to duty.

Why not? Horses get treated for injuries and return to work all the time, unless the injuries cause permanent unsoundness I see no reason why they shouldn't.

In the army, from my experience, they don't tend to invest in horses. If it can't do the job, it is out or it finds a new job. King's Troop horses in London that didn't settle were transported quickly to Larkhill to see if they would be good hunt horses. If not, then that was that and I don't mean re-homing. They were pts at a ridiculous early age (something like 18yo).

Things may have changed now. That was over 25 years ago. But the army is more of a business than a sentimental owner who will do their utmost for their animals. War Horse, it ain't.

Why not? Horses get treated for injuries and return to work all the time, unless the injuries cause permanent unsoundness I see no reason why they shouldn't.
They do yes, but those horses might now be deemed as untrustworthy by the Army to take back out on the roads again
The horses themselves might be traffic shy as a result.

I suspect that if the army thought that they would have been pts rather than operated on, these horses aren't pets and given some of the photos few would have questioned it if it was announced the injuries were untreatable.

They may or may not be wary of traffic to begin with but unless extremely bad that's a training issue. As a teenager I had a pony who as a result of two bad driving accidents involving traffic became unsafe to drive, and who later on was hit by a car when I was riding him - not his fault. Understandably he became traffic shy for a while but patience and taking things in small manageable stages had him back to a pony I could safely ride in traffic. If a teenager on her own could do that then I would expect the resources of the Household Cavalry could do a lot better!

In the army, from my experience, they don't tend to invest in horses. If it can't do the job, it is out or it finds a new job. King's Troop horses in London that didn't settle were transported quickly to Larkhill to see if they would be good hunt horses. If not, then that was that and I don't mean re-homing. They were pts at a ridiculous early age (something like 18yo).

Things may have changed now. That was over 25 years ago. But the army is more of a business than a sentimental owner who will do their utmost for their animals. War Horse, it ain't.
I have on several occasions attempted to adopt an ex army horse and never got a reply which is a shame. Ditto police horses which all go to Horses Trust which is nice for them but they could have a more active retirement for many years first

My mum used to ride an ex police horse that was privately owned and the local riding for the disabled had another one

My mum used to ride an ex police horse that was privately owned and the local riding for the disabled had another one
I have contacted the forces which have horses but never get a reply, They have them in Glasgow so would be easy to rehome here open to inspection vets reports etc.

I guess it largely depends on why they retire as to whether they can be rehomed as riding horses.
I do see the odd advert come up for homes.

Reactions: carthorse
The Rangers on our Common ride retired police horses, I was told. There are Open Days every year when the public can visit the stables at Wimbledon windmill.

newrider.com