Horses loose in London

I am astonnished to see the keepers ride 6 hours a day.
We and our adult daughter and her family have walked the Common and Putney Heath for years and years and I have ridden there too. I dont remember ever meeting a mounted keeper.

As it's 1100 acres I am guessing that's why.
There are horses on the moors by me, but sometimes I go down and don't see any, but they are still there.

As it's 1100 acres I am guessing that's why.
Yes but there are designated riding tracks. And it isnt actually that big. Some of it is playing fields and a golf course. We have to pay a special Commons rate because we live near to it. And we elect the people who supervise it. I used to go with my friend and her dog to walk twice a week, We can walk up a gravel lane straight onto Wimbledon Common to walk.

Surely it would defeat the object of having rangers if hey had to stick to designated riding tracks? Anyone up to no good would just stay away from the tracks! They have to be able to patrol all of it, though carefully with the golf course - golfers have no sense of humour about the greens or things that put them off their shot, yes I'm married to a keen golfer 🤣

yes I'm married to a keen golfer
@carthorse My weak point. Fear of the golf course or courses. I once went to a riding school where one had to drive across a golf course to get there and ride across it to hack out. That school was the making of me as a rider but they employed just one teacher, and when the latest young man refused to teach me, I was happy to escape both him and the golf course.

@carthorse My weak point. Fear of the golf course or courses. I once went to a riding school where one had to drive across a golf course to get there and ride across it to hack out. That school was the making of me as a rider but they employed just one teacher, and when the latest young man refused to teach me, I was happy to escape both him and the golf course.
This might be the same place I used to work at, near the A3 and we did occasionally get hit by golf balls when taking the horses out!

Anyway, back on topic Vida the grey has a knee injury. The vet was concerned it could get infected. I guess it's really early days yet as that could still happen.
Setting the awful footage of him falling it's not surprising he hurt himself, poor thing.

• Sad
Reactions: carthorse
Anyway, back on topic Vida the grey has a knee injury. The vet was concerned it could get infected. I guess it's really early days yet as that could still happen.
Setting the awful footage of him falling it's not surprising he hurt himself, poor thing.
Oh that's not good. Fingers crossed they've cleaned it up successfully and it doesn't get infected, joints are such an infection risk with horses.

newrider.com