How do I stop my horse from refusing in the arena?

Ellie :)

Aug 6, 2017
How do I stop my horse from refusing? He's fine in warm up and at home is just when we go in the arena! He's not scared of anything in there, I use my whip spurs and my voice...NOTHING! Considering sending him to get re-schooled?

Is he napping back to the collecting ring? Do you ride differently once you get in the arena? Are you overfacing him with the classes you choose? You've given us so little information it's hard to advise.

I'd try taking him in some small clear round classes where the fences are so low he can step over them if he stops. And at home try working him in the arena with another horse & then carry on when that horse leaves, or go for a hack with another & then split up - it's not an exact replica of the collecting ring to arena scenario but it may get him in the habit of working with others & then away from them. Do you have an RI or experienced friend who could take him to a show & see if the same happens with them?

Reactions: Ellie :)
Oh I totally under stand this. My boys jumps a 1M at home with me and goes like a dream in the warm up than stops at the first fence and nothing will make him go over it no matter how small it is. When he says no he means no.

I have tried to go back to basics but it does not work as he is fine at home and at hired venues just literally in the arena. For me I know its because I back off I need to literally gallop to that first fence so he gets his blood up and wants to jump the rest. If you find the answer let me know!!

I think there is a world of difference between jumping at home, warming up, lessons away from home etc.. and conpetitions. Lessons dont generally involve 12-16 jumping efforts at height straight off the bat. You normally warm up over simple combinations and gradually build up to a course in a lesson. Warm ups tend to be single fences and other horses are in there jumping too. Competition courses tend to be more dressed. There's the commentary and the bell. There are oftem horses in the collecting ring the horse jumping has to leave behind. Its a big ask imo. I don't think it's particularly a height issue but just an overall sense of being intimidated. We have not yet sorted this with Max who goes like a dream in clinics but under performs when competing but our next plan is to compete HC at a local show that allows it and to go in at the same height a few times to see if we can build his confidence in the arena.

Friends horse used to do this. So after ruling out absolutely everything and some, she entered the pairs class.
Totally different horse who excels with a buddy. Might be from the racing days where horses were trained in pairs and jumped in pairs.
But now she just pairs up.

newrider.com