How often do you wear body protector?

Probably recommended but I don't know.
If looked after properly I think they last. I always hang mine on a coat hanger. The foam inside does breakdown but it does depend on how much use it gets. Mine has had lots of use and I've had it about 4 years now. The fabric on mine at the back on the base has worn and you can get replacement fabric covers but it's nearly as much as buying a complete new BP. Such a rip off.
The original BP that had foam strips in them, I have seen a BP where it all dislodged. But the newer ones that are complete foam sections seem much better.

It was necessary for insurance purposes when I learnt to ride, so now, much like those who learnt to ride without one, I feel weird without it in, and so don't ride so well.

I have quite a basic one as I don't compete or jump but I always try to wear it. Have had the odd exception recently when I was wearing so many layers that I couldn't do it up so I went without... Oddly when I was learning I never wore one, it's only since I started sharing, I suppose psychologically I had a lot more "what ifs" in my head knowing I'd be out there in the big wide world! But it's weird as my share is very riding school-esque in terms of being incredibly placid.

Sometimes I feel like a bit of a wuss compared to the majority of other riders I see who aren't wearing one but I know it serves a very important purpose and it's ridiculous to think like that I know!

Does anyone know if you need to replace them every couple of years like you do with hats? It's not something I've thought about, although mine is less than a year old.
Pretty sure they are meant to be replaced every few years as the foam deteriorates, regardless of the amount of use.

I think the recommended time to replace a BP is every 5 years. This is what I stick to anyway, plus my current one has had so much use it is practically falling apart.

@Mary Poppins have you gone for the Racesafe Provent? I've got that one and it's really good!

Yes that is the one. I am currently waiting for it to arrive in my size. I am a medium body but need an extra short back apparently! I can't wait till it arrives. I currently ride in an airowear and while I don't have any problems with it (other than it being completely worn out), the racesafe is so much lighter and less bulky.

yes i think BETA recommend to replace them every 3-5 years. if i won the lottery id got for a danaise balios, so comfy.

I wear my BP every time I ride my boy not that he is nasty or anything but more for my safety as my balance can be rubbish at times lol

Reactions: Prjsmk
I didnt use to wear mine at all, but since the snowy day ride and my horses stunts friends a
Have all said wear your body protector from now on! So i have been doing! Its been that long since i wore it that its now almost too small, luckily my mum who no longer rides is giving mE her brand new one yayyy! But i am saving up for one of the newer type ones too, forgot what they are called but they are as a bulky as the ones me and my mum have at the moment

When jumping or when I can read him as being unsettled - eg. hacking out alone on a particularly windy day.

Dont own one, cannot stand them i like Jessey just feel clumsy and like i cant ride. Though im like that even with bulky coats i hate anything that restricts me in the slightest.

I wear one like I wear my hat.

Having had so much spinal surgery, I promised my surgeon that I would wear it every time I rode a horse. I would feel nekkid without it now when I ride any horse.

It is one of those blow-up ones (a gilet) that is attached to the saddle.

newrider.com