How to slow a rushed trot?

Sonia

Apr 29, 2000
Halifax,West Yorkshire, UK
Visit site
Cassie (my new horse) and I are getting along really well. So far she has been such a sweetie and seems to be bomb-proof. She loves going out on her own and we've had close encounters with Tractors and jugganauts and she never bats an eye at them.

She is quite forward going and has quite a fast walk (a "power walk" you could say) - when I ask for trot however she really rushes and it is quite uncomfortable. If you squeeze on the reins she thinks this is to go faster, talking helps a bit and we eventually come back to walk. How can I help her to understand that everytime I ask for trot it doesn't mean going flat out?

I haven't tried any schooling yet as I was told she doesn't really enjoy it and tends to rush it - which is just what I want to try and sort out. I have her in a jointed snaffle, flash and running martingale (this is what she was used to being ridden in when I got her)

Thanks
Sonia

Have you tried using your seat to slow her stride down? As she's walking along, relax and let her move your upper leg and seat so you fall in with her stride, have an elastic contact on the reins, allowing her forward but in contact with the bit, and keep your lower leg with a conact. When you've got used to her movement moving you, slowly start to move your seat slower than her stride, so she has to catch you down if you know what I mean. At the same time every so slightly close your hands, then quickly open them, so you hands are suggesting that you would like a slower stride and your seat is encouraging/dictating the speed. Do exactly the same in trot, if she's rushing post slower. It takes alot of concentration to do this, and the effects aren't overnight, but if you're patient and persevere it will work.

When you say her prevoius owners say she doesn't like schooling and is wearing a flash and a martingale, its sounds as if she's a sensitive sort and her evasions have been opening her mouth and head in the air, in other words dragging her back end along. Quite often its because the horse hasn't accepted the riders leg aids and rushes forward off them.

I had a horse very similar, one thing that my instructor picked me up on, was leaning forward (not that I'm implying you do), for a horse already on the forehand having the riders weight leaning forwards makes it nigh on impossible for them to step under from behind and lengthen the stride.

Good luck she sounds a lovely horse, some folk have plod alongs that take a lot of encouragement to go from walk to trot but freak at a wagon, you on the other hand have a speedy gonalaze who's bomb proof!

Lesley

Last edited:
Dizzy's already explained how to use your seat to slow your mare. If you haven't already read Heather's Enlightened Equitation or explored the "Kinder Way" section on this site, I think you'll find them extremely helpful. I'd just like to add a couple of things.

Most horses, however bombproof, will be apprehensive to a degree when faced with a new rider. It's only natural - your mare hasn't yet got to know you, but she will, and I'm sure that's at least part of the problem. Merlin was just the same when I first got him.

If she "doesn't like schooling" the chances are someone hasn't made a very good job of it in the past. That's no reason why you can't teach her that schooling CAN be fun. Just think of it as communication practice - that way there's no pressure.

If you're out hacking you don't have to trot. If you do, try not to pick long straight roads to do it on! You might find it easier to practice your seat aids as Dizzy describes in a slightly more confined area, so that when you try them out on a hack you've learned how to do it and your mare has got into the habit of responding.

By coincidence Michael Peace has an article about riding young horses in this month's Your Horse. He mentions a couple of things that might be useful. First, he suggests using frequent changes of direction to slow a rushing horse; the horse has to slow down to balance, and it also means that the horse makes the decision to slow down rather than being forced to by you! I definitely find that works. Also, he tells us NOT to use both reins at once, which can have the opposite effect to the one we want in that the horse will fight and rush even more; use each rein in turn, a couple of squeezes on one side, then the other. Heather also tells us to do this.

I'm sure things will get better quite quickly when you get to know each other, and your mare certainly sounds very sweet. Patience should get you everywhere.

the seat thing works hand in hand with breathing... with my horse rocky, to get him to speed up and lengthen a little, i just need to breathe a little faster and in turn, that makes me post a little faster and apply leg aids a little faster, and he keeps up with my exercises quite well. try breathing a little slower, calm down, relax a little and try the half-halt at the same time. when you breathe in, gently take the reins, and when you breathe out, give cassie her head. don't pull and give in a rushed manner, because it'll only get her distraught and excited. as long as your actions are light, she'll listen to your body language and follow. :)

Lots of transitions. Bring her back to walk every time she tanks off, get a good walk and then ask her to trot again. As soon as she starts to pick up speed in the trot bring her back to walk and start again. This has worked wonders with my mare.

Maria

This is a very interesting post since I too am having problems with the rushed trot. My gelding is 8 yrs old but acts younger/greener.I'm a beginner at posting and I'm sure he's trying to catch up with me since I am forward while posting. I cannot practice in the arena because he trots fast to the gate and stops. But..I'm nervous to trot him in the open for fear he will take off and then I'll be OFF. So for now we're doing lots of walking. Sonia, your horse sounds like mine at the walk. He has a wonderful powerful walk and I just love it. I'm always ahead of everyone else but I don't want to discourage this wonderful gift he has. As I get to know him more and learn more about riding I will try to slow him down some but for now I'll let it go. The information in this post has me thinking I should ask for a relaxed trot at times on the trail to see if I can post on him without him tossing his head and going sideways. Thanks for the info. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

My mom is a riding instructor and judge. My Quarter Horse has a very fast trot when we start out. My mom always yells at me to post slower, but really, it doesn't work. If I take any contact on the reins she puts her head up. It really isn't that high, but if anyone has ever seen a QH show, you know they are supposed to have their heads low. After the horse warms up for about half an hour, she settles down and is ready to get to business.

Hope no-one minds me posting again on this, but I mentioned the fact that Merlin sometimes gets a bit onward bound to Heather in our lesson the other day, and she said that while we should be saying "No you don't, NOT that fast!", nevertheless we shouldn't worry too much about it as it's a "young horse thing".

(I suppose that also includes green older horses!)

my way- i say 'langsam' which means slolwly in german and my horse actually listens to it! it has taken alot of practice though :)

you can do all your schooling out on hacks..it is more fun...
do you have any hills? hills will help in slowign down your horse..it'll also work her muscles but will help you find a level of control.
if i canter my horse uphill then out on a flat peice of land she geos so slowly and wonderful but if i let her canter on just the flat she does it like a bulldozer.
we are at the controllng the tempo stage in canter :)

newrider.com