How to stop a horse putting its head down!!!!!!!

friesianmad

Feb 12, 2006
West Midlands
How to stop a horse putting its head down while in canter!!!!!!!

The horse i ride keeps putting his head down when we are cantering. How do i stop this? Is there any kind of tack which could help?

I didnt really mind at first but when i rode him last i nearly went over his head while cantering. I lost my stirrups and nearly fell off. He puts his head really low to the ground.

Can someone please please help me!

Last edited:
Is this at a RS? Because at ours, we have a bombproof 20-odd year old cob whos safe as house for the more novicy people. But if he thinks he can get away with yanking his head down to the back, he will. So it may just be that (assuming you're at a Rs on a group lesson) he wants to get back to his mates, and this is the simplist way for him to do it.

I am assuming rather a lot there though, im probably way off track :eek:

lift your hands especially the inside hand. as the head goes down use a lot of leg. if this fails then it might be worth you trying to turn a circle. as the horse will have to lift its head

You can also try squeezing the reins to ask him to lift his head.

Close first one hand and then the other in turn so that you squeeze each rein alternately in time with his strides. Lift your hands as you do; if he's determined you might have to make it more obvious. If he's in a snaffle this effectively puts pressure on the tongue and tells him to raise his head.

And lots of leg to get his bum under him and get his weight off his forehand. :)

A daisy rein would help to an extent but only really stops them putting their heads right down.

Also ask your instructor what she recommends for him; the school will know him and his habits better than anyone and should be able to give you an idea of what he responds to best.

My old riding school used to make daisy reins with baler twine! Also I've seen an anti bucking thing maybe in robinsons but not sure, that may help.

Maybe you are using too much rein with him and he is trying to evade the bit. I would bump the inside rein until he raises his head and then canter him with a loose rein to let him know he did the right thing.

unless you are doing a specific exercise with a loose rein it is better to keep a rein contact - otherwise you can be effectively dropping the horse.

I ride my horse western so I use a loose rein most of the time. A canter with a loose rein is a great way to help a young horse learn how to balance at the canter with a rider because you are staying out of his way.

I still think that it would be a good way to teach any horse to not lower their head by applying pressure with the rein and releasing it completely at least at first, when they get the right answer which is to raise their head.

I try to be very black and white about the right answer when a horse is first learning what you want them to do.

Eh, FWIW, I'd be careful giving advice like "bump" and "close..your hands in turn" to someone that you dont know their riding ability. Both can be easily interpreted wrongly. Poor OR might go riding her horse smacking it in the mouth every stride and get told off my her RI next lesson...

Im with Coss on this one. Raise your hands (while still keeping the correct position and contact) and push with your legs. The horse should follow. If he doesnt and trys to pull the reins out of your hands; ask louder (ie, more obviously) until he lifts his head and then thank him by stopping the cue.

newrider.com