I'mmm back - Hip fixed : ) yay

Hiya

Thanks to Julz and chase for all the info and advice, (and barcie for the offer ;) ) coming upto my hip op.
It all went well on wed, got sent home thur, but only got back to the putter today (I needed to get the chair changed so I could sit here :rolleyes:)

Exercises are going well, and movement already improved (post op), but I didnt realise how soon I'd get fed up of the crutches OMG! Just another 5 weeks of partial weight bearing to go !! When I'm sitting and think oh i'll just pop and get...... then I move and realise it'll take 10 mins to do a 2 min job, on the crutches :mad: I cant wait to get going properly crutch free

Thanks to all again

Jill xxx

glad to hear your op has gone well.Fingers crossed you are up and about and weight bearing fully as soon as possible. Nice to see you are back on NR.:)

OH brilliant!!

just when you think you're sorted you suddenly realise you cant carry anything at all!! :(

I was back in A/E today, horse kicked me on my hand.. thankfully not broken, but bruised and swollen :(

Sorry to hi jack your thread but need an opinion,,,,
was at our local show today, and the local hosp was there ( private ) but you can go there with the new choose and book, so i asked which hip surgeon would they reccomend, as need one sympathetic to riding i think,,, they asked my age, and when i said, ( 53 ) they said that i might be better considering a resurfacing, the consultant would talk to me about it, ..... so did any of you get offered it,,,,, have heard it,s not so good,,,not sure where tho,,,
any advice, / info be grateful for,,,
thanks
MM
:)

OH brilliant!!
just when you think you're sorted you suddenly realise you cant carry anything at all!! :(
I was back in A/E today, horse kicked me on my hand.. thankfully not broken, but bruised and swollen :(

Thats the prob julz, I hadnt even thought about not being able to carry anything. but it does get the mind laterally thinking. Thankfully we have a large worktop, into a breakfast bar, so I can make something one end, and step by step usher it down the the bb, to sit and eat, but its getting things from the fridge in the first place:rolleyes: My current technique is with a food bag hanging off my crutch, so I can carry soy milk etc over for a cuppa:rolleyes:

Oh julz you do need to be more careful, I hope your hand heals quickly

Millies mum - Resurfacing wasnt an option for me (different issue) I had a worn area of cartilage, (not the whole surface affected) so was bone on bone, so now have a anchour (sp) holding it together, and they removed the outgrowth of bone causing the issue. I had a: Mini open labral repair decompression. Mini errmm well if 6'' is mini ???

wasnt an option for me either, MM...

I'd say to get your GP to refer you to a good surgeon and and him/her about different ops, and what might be best suited to you

Sheerbliss,
Glad to hear all went well and yes, those bloody crutches have a mind of their own don't they ! Managing at home is like some sort of initiative test and I'm sure you've already mastered the advanced grabber techniques aswell ! !

Week 9 and I'm on one stick and a little walking without stick, that hideous thing has come off the loo at last, I can sit on the sofa now and not just the high chair, and yesterday I did my first bit of driving. That's the up side, down side is, I'm back at work in the office full time !

Keep us posted with your progress.

Millies mum,
I talked my consultant through horse riding and he was then able to understand that flexibilty was important to swing leg up and over the saddle when mounting, so fitted a 'large ball' type. (mine was a full hip replacement)

Julz
You really must take better care of yourself ! Hope the bruises aren't too painful.

Sheerbliss,
Glad to hear all went well and yes, those bloody crutches have a mind of their own don't they ! Managing at home is like some sort of initiative test and I'm sure you've already mastered the advanced grabber techniques aswell ! !

Week 9 and I'm on one stick and a little walking without stick, that hideous thing has come off the loo at last, I can sit on the sofa now and not just the high chair, and yesterday I did my first bit of driving. That's the up side, down side is, I'm back at work in the office full time !

I was only given crutches by the hospital, so have to manage everything else alone, even though I have to go by the 90* rule etc
I could do with a grabber, but not got one yet. Dressing is an art form :D My bed was raised, as my mum changed hers, so I now have 2 matresses, to climb onto:rolleyes: and the sofa was raised, by putting the spare seat cushion where I sit, so I'm really high:D So I'm managing quite well

I envy you getting to drive, thats one of the things I miss most. Getting taxied around to appointments is a pain

did they not give you stuff before you went into hospital??

grabber etc... i've still got mine... I've just remembered..got the sexy socks to come again!!

did they not give you stuff before you went into hospital??
grabber etc... i've still got mine... I've just remembered..got the sexy socks to come again!!

Nope I was given nothing before the op day. And only crutches then.
I'm going sockless, thankfully its summer. As I cant reach that far, and cant bear to ask mum, or sis to put on or take off socks, everyday day:eek:

They dont seem that organised, I've had 2 wound checks, first was just to remove large plaster and check it looked ok, 2nd was to remove steri strips, covering whole wound. (I had to call surgeon before this appt as neither the nurse or myself knew when stitches / clips had to be removed, I was told at 14 days by surgeon! ) But to our suprise yesterday, there was no stitches / clips, it was all sealed with internal stitches ?? Shame they didnt tell me that :rolleyes:
So I came home from dr's with a 'naked' wound site :p It felt too free and unstable, so I've put a giant plaster I was given in hosp, on it. So if feels more comfey against clothes etc

that's weird that they didnt orgasnise your tools before going in.. usually they do it at your pre op appointment.. the socks dont need anyones help... LOL.. i worked out a way that i did it with my hands, and leaning as far forward as i could, then using the other foot to open it, then slid bad leg in.. took some practising but worked a treat, lol

newrider.com