In a bit of a blunder about bits

Katie92

Aug 4, 2017
Hi new member! Not on FB etc. So I'm hoping to get a bit of friendly advice here!
My horse is currently in a single jointed snaffle. He's a "chomper" always has been. The bit is the correct size etc. However, I suffer with my hands & in some cases I cannot stop as I have no strength at all. This has of course knocked my confidence when out riding a young 7 year old who is still learning.
My question is, is there any bit I can change too which won't be to harsh on him as he has a very good mouth, but will give me a little more control with him? As he's a chomper should I be changing it anyways? Would going down the grackle line be better? ‍♀️ please help!

When I changed the bit for mine I hired it from the bit bank.
I was able to give them all info such as what we do, what she does etc, mouth size etc.

To me a horse that chomps isn't happy. It might be a case of a different mouthpiece or rings.
If you haven't taught the one rein stop I would be. When mine runs which she can do I only need the one rein and leg to communicate.

Reactions: Katie92
We have just had to change a youngsters bit. He was backed and ridden away in a gentle loosering sweet iron lozenge snaffle.

Few months ago he started refusing to work into the bridle, he was rushing, sticking his head up our noses, head shaking and tossing and jogging. It was horrible. We had him checked, had his saddle checked and then looked at different mouth pieces.

We have settled on a loose ring Happy tongue bomber bit. He went the best in that however he was going good in a ported magic snaffle as well, he just goes sweeter in the bomber.

He has better breaks and doesn't open his mouth, toss his head or go round like a demented camel anymore. The magic bits are quite cheap the bombers not so lol.

Borrow some bits with different mouth pieces and see how you go :)

After doing the normal checks I'd definitely consider trying others, a horse chomping isn't a happy horse and strapping his mouth shut with a noseband is likely to exacerbate the chomping reaction if it is due to his teeth or bit.
Really what bits are suitable depends on how good your hands are, if your lack of strength in them means you can sometimes be less able to give refined aids then putting a more severe bit in probably isn't a good idea.

Thanks everyone. Teeth are fine, saddle was made for him & recently he's just had an all round check (previous back problems its best to be safe)!!
The chomping has never caused us an issue as such before, we still felt happy doing what we do. It of course doesn't help that I'm probably pushing my bad vibes right through him worrying about my hands!
I will try the bit bank & test a few different ones to see what we can do!

newrider.com