Is jogging bad.........? Eml or someone?

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Had a little trot on Penny today. She has three gears to her trot. The slowest being an extremely comfortable smooth jog. It's lovely. But I've always been under the impression that letting a horse jog is bad. Can anyone tell me why?? Is there any good reason why I shouldn't let her jog??

when a horse jogs it isnt working proberly, so isnt using its muscles proberly. a horse will try a jog to make things easier for itself

if you *want* and *ask* for a jog, then that's fine. it's frowned upon for a horse to jog when you've asked it to pick the walk up a gear, which is when it normally happens, because normally you want a proper walk, not just to go faster. as long as she'll walk out when you want and jog when you want, and not just jog as soon as you put leg on, then it's fine. it's a hard habit to break if they jog instead of walking out, so that's why it's frowned upon.

....unless of course you are talking about a western jog, in which case its not bad, its just a different gear !

When most british folk talk jog, it is effectively an evasion - a way of not doing what the rider asked. e.g. if the horse is excited and won't walk, or doesn' t really want to trot. Such a jog is normally horrid - either a lazy shuffle, or a bouncy tigger thing :eek: Often not a clear 2 beat and the hind feet drag.

If however, what you are getting is a smooth, engaged version of trot (but slow), then I propose you find a western saddle and start competing !:D

A proper western jog is heaven. Its smooth, comfortable, clear 2 beat, and the horse is still on the aids, receptive, attentive, accepting etc. This is not bad.

yes it is stressful on the horses joints and on their vital organs as its not something a horse can do AND stay relaxed. As such they are more likely to get overheated and sweat etc.

I think I have met that slow cob jog that you are refering to Monty. It is lovely and comfy. If it is like the pace I am thinking of then I wouldn't say it will stress the joints as it is a nice relaxed just very slow trot. The cobs pulling milk floats and bakery vans etc used to do their whole rounds like that (well the faster ones did anyway!)

Originally posted by DITZ
yes it is stressful on the horses joints and on their vital organs as its not something a horse can do AND stay relaxed. As such they are more likely to get overheated and sweat etc.

you haven't seen my horse jog :D she's so laid back she's practically horizontal :cool:

Once I was having a (non-western) lesson and the instructor said "right now slow the trot right down" and was extremely impressed when we just went into our western jog for her :p ie still retained all the energy and balance but just slowed down and smoothed out.

(Do remember that "jog" doesn't universely mean frenetic bouncing Tigger jog)

Do remember that "jog" doesn't universely mean frenetic bouncing Tigger jog

Aah thats the image I have yes. I used to ride a rather nutty tb racehorse who would jog everywhere. I'd return her white with sweat!

Sorry all I think the jog is a useful pace. Used to be described as a hound trot as it wa the speed used when exercising hounds and is great for building muscle without too much concussive force.

What alot of people have interpreted it as is the horse 'jogging' which is a totally differnt thing done by atense horse when evading walk.

I actually still teach 'hound jog' as part of learning to control speed and rythm......so carry on Monty and I agree its so comfortable you can do it for hours (good for rider fitness too:D )

A proper western jog is heaven. Its smooth, comfortable, clear 2 beat, and the horse is still on the aids, receptive, attentive, accepting etc. This is not bad.

Wow that's what Dolly was doing this morning! :D

That's what Penny does... almost like a collected trot, in slow motion - and it is very comfortable. She's not evading (she came down to this jog after I asked her to from a proper cob trot that was thinking about being a canter) and she's not over excited - I think she is just a lot better schooled and a lot more responsive than a 20 year old plod is supposed to be!! If she was muscled up and fit you'd probably find she'd be collecting beautifully.

Not a bad thing at all - only when horses jog when they're asked to do something else (like walk when they want to go faster or lengthen at walk when they'd rather not put the effort in) is it undesirable.

Oh dear, this was Fattyhorsepig's Fave gait....irritating jog as I used to call it.

The thing is it is SO COMFY and I know he could come up with the goods when asked, so, as it was him I let him get away with it. He used to put a heck of an amount of elevation into it though. Being a stallion he used to work at it.

In addition to the nice working Western jog, there's another kind of Western jog--sort of the analog to a horse being pulled "onto the bit" by cranking his head in, in dressage. It's a horrid gait, dragging with the forehand and creating lots of impact concussion. But it *looks* pretty, at least if what you're looking for is slow, with head tucked down and in. And it's unfortunately noticeably common.

It is *not* a proper Western jog, not any more than the trot in dressage with the head cranked in. It's achieved by trying to get a horse to do a Western jog when he's not up for it; either he's not being asked properly or he doesn't have the strength for the collection required. It is pretty bad for the horse, because he ends up pounding his legs on the ground from a bad angle; impact concussion directly for the bones & tendons/ligaments, plus the angles of impact are stressful on the joints.

It's a stretch, but if you're thinking that you've heard that jog is bad for a horse, that might be what they were talking about.

By your description, I assume that, by jog, you mean a very slow trot without impulsion (a la Western jog). It certainly is comfortable and it's efficient for the horse. The reason that some people would discourage it is that a jog lacks impulsion. The steps are flatter and shorter, with no period of suspension between the strides, so the horse isn't engaging her hind end the way that, say, you would want her to for dressage.

The other use of "jog" that people are referring to, I've always heard called "jig," (i.e., when a horse bounces around when being asked to walk).

Wow, thanks everyone. I never expected such a varied response. This is exactly how I like it. The funny thing about this jog of Penny's is that there actually seems to be a very long period os suspension.Don't you just wish you could SEE what's going on when you're riding?? I never WAS very good at working out what was going on underneath the horse when I'm riding. This seems to be a definite trot. A really slow controlled and purposeful one, and at present is more comfortable for me that her working trot.I can only do a few paces, anyway, and then have to go back to walk. Well, I think from what I THINK she's doing, and what you all say, that we're not comitting one of the seven deadly sins! Thank you. Hopefully I can get her better muscled once I can stay longer in the saddle. I did a whole mile yesterday!! Wehey!!

newrider.com