Just bought a sidesaddle!!-tips?

Be careful wearing an ordinary skirt, you could get hung up on the pommels if you fell, A proper modern apron should have a velcro or similar fastening so if you do fall and your apron hangs on the pommels it will rip free allowing you to fall and not get dragged.

Wally said:
Be careful wearing an ordinary skirt, you could get hung up on the pommels if you fell, A proper modern apron should have a velcro or similar fastening so if you do fall and your apron hangs on the pommels it will rip free allowing you to fall and not get dragged.

I understand that the "Ride2theSide" ss demo team who make their own costumes, make their historical costume skirts with a split in them which doesn't show but is somewhat safer than an ordinary skirt. Worth going to see them if you are in the neighbourhood of one of their demos and they will enjoy talking SS to you. Have a look at their site for next summer's programme (Google)

Hey everyone! I actually got to try riding in my sidesaddle today!:D The absolute last thing I look is elegant! Boy, is it fun, though! The only problem is that I can't keep my hips straight. I tried, but it is like I just don't bend that way or something! How do you do it!? Oh well this was my first time so it can only get better! My horse didn't really seem to mind it. I couldn't ride my tame as a kitten stallion (hives-so weird), so I rode a police horse instead. He didn't care, I may as well have been doing cartwheels!

So if it doesn't rain I'm going to ride again tomorrow!

If the saddle does not fit the horse it will make things really hard to sit straight, Is the saddle level from back to front and side to side?

Imagine a tin tack under your left seat bone, right shoulder back. sit tall, really tall.

Remember the muscles you use for astride are not the same for aside.

Wally said:
Remember the muscles you use for astride are not the same for aside.

I'm reminded of that every time I ride side saddle (and usually for a day or so afterwards too)!!

Glad you're having fun! Have you managed to find an instructor yet? Riding on a poorly fitting saddle could do so much harm. Could you maybe post a picture of the saddle on the horse with and without you on board?

Yes I'll try to get pics. (as soon as it stops raining!). My instructor is quite knowledgable in sidesaddle (trained in England).

I don't know if it quite fits the horse. It looks big and awkward (I'm used to thin stubben types) but it seems to fit, and this horse has a very sensitive back, so we would be able to sense and see stiffness or pain. The seat sits flat, and it feels balanced, but what do I know!:p

There is a show coming up whare the judge knows sidesaddle (showed very, very formally a few years back). So, even if she kills me in the class :rolleyes: , maybe she could give me some first hand tips, seeing as she would be watching me.

Originally Posted by sidesaddlelady1
Get in touch with Linda Cadman of the Northern Side Saddle Group - the number is on this thread somewhere - one of my contributions, I think.

Incidentally, I am pretty certain that the gloves under the saddle is an American convention. I haven't seen it in competition in the UK and it doesn't figure in the SSA handbook on turn out. Confirmation Wally and Rusty?

You're right sidesaddlelady1, at least as far as I know. The gloves-under-offside-flap doesn't feature in UK requirements and would probably be frowned upon. The USEF (United States Equestrian Federation) requirement is clear in at least one class though. It is required for USEF Hunter classes riden side saddle, rule HU121 point 13 (rain gloves: white or colored rain gloves) states that they 'should be carried on the off (right) side under the billets and just showing under the saddle flap - fingers forward'. You can't get much more specific than that! This is based on the required hunting attire (see link below)

There was a school of thought that (quite rightly) said that ladies should have sensitive hands so riding with thick gloves was unacceptable but neither silk or gloves would cope with hunting in the rain. According to Alice Hayes (The Horsewomman, 1893) kid gloves become 'stiff as a board when wet' and silk ones are 'quickly cut by the reins'. As a consequence, carrying spare gloves (and/or trying to keep them dry) would have been important.

Have a look at the USEF site:
http://www.usef.org/
and
http://www.sidesaddleinfo.com/hunt.html

While we're on gloves, in reality you want warm, dry hands for day-to-day riding. I have lousy circulation and have acquired a pair of truly waterproof SealSkinz - they are the best thing ever! If you're cold consider getting a pair!
Rusty

sidesaddlelady1 said:
I understand that the "Ride2theSide" ss demo team who make their own costumes, make their historical costume skirts with a split in them which doesn't show but is somewhat safer than an ordinary skirt. Worth going to see them if you are in the neighbourhood of one of their demos and they will enjoy talking SS to you. Have a look at their site for next summer's programme (Google)

I've actually seen one of there demonstrations at one of the game fayres up here in Cheshire last summer.

The trouble is that we work mostly for English Heritage and they won't stand for anything that isn't as it would have been in the period you are depicting if you can possibly help it. I don't think I would get away with a split skirt.

Re: Gloves. It is weird because this is what the gentleman told me was correct. Another case of judges preference I guess. I also hadn't seen it in the SSA handbook but I don't think he is affiliated to the SSA.

Don't know a single thing about sidesaddles except for it looks good.

But on the gloves issue, I've been taught to keep a pair under my girth straps (but only for tack and turnout - too much hassle elsewhere) purely because out hunting it was essential to have a spare pair, just like the hanky, hoofpick, string and 10p in your pocket. As far as I know none of those are rules, they're just little things that will earn you brownie points in T&T, but probably aren't important in any other class that I am aware of. :)

sidesaddlelady1 said:

Hi everyone,

Julia and Diane here from Ride2theSide.

We have just visited the site and can see that period costumes including ours have been under discussion. We would like to tell you ourselves about our costumes.

First of all we would like to thank Sidesaddlelady for saying that we are worth a watch if in your area. It’s very nice to know that people enjoy what we are doing. For those of you who don’t know, the displays that we do take the form of a musical ride and are fun and entertaining, and the music used is upbeat and funky. We do not do BORING!! And yes we are always happy to talk to anyone who wants to ask or listen about riding aside.

Now, regarding the costumes. All the costumes we use in our displays are made by Julia and I personally, and we never ever use splits in any of the skirts. We try to make all the costumes as authentic as possible and believe you me when you are trying to copy something from a photo or a figurine there can be lots of frustration involved.

I would like to say that although it is possible for the skirt to get hooked up onto the pommels we personally do not consider it dangerous to ride in a full skirt. For anyone who is worried about this, costumes can be made with a split or Velcro or indeed just like a traditional habit skirt would be made. If you do wish to ride with full skirts, and are worried about the possibility, there is a way of fastening a tail bandage around the pommels which prevents the skirt being able to get caught in any way. You have to remember that women have ridden this way for centuries with full skirts including 2 or 3 days hunting a week.

We would like to say to you all that if you are in any of the areas we will be visiting this year please come and say hello to us. You can find out the venues by visiting our website www.ride2theside.co.uk and whilst there you can check out our forum as well. www.ride2theside.co.uk/forum It would be great if some of you joined, but also we have a section for visitor photos and it is always nice to get contributions for this page and you and lots of other people get to see yourselves on the web!

Ciao for now
Julia and Diane

I am chicken and have velcro with a row of false buttons so it looks real.

Mind you, I'd like to meet the dress fabric that coulod hang me up....sail cloth maybe......:D :D

I have an american civil war habbit and we have handstiched the right hand seem so that it would tear easily , but i have jumped the feild fence in it and not had any troubles , i love to ride aside, just learning though! i hired one about 18months ago and rode it for about six months , then couldn't aford to re-hire and saved up to buy, and now have my very own!!

i even took my horse onto an ACW battle feild and stood next to the fiering diplay with him aside, very satisfying as the devils horsemen were also on site and wouldn't go near the guns:rolleyes: wish i could do some of the stuff they can though!

Any info out there on correct ACW aside underwere?

i got on great, went xc in it, i did get some funny looks!!, generaly realy enjoyed myself, i'll try to dig out some pics, but i dont think i have any good jumping ones. My partner ( yes Male) also had a go after telling me it looked easy. Ha Ha, i do have a picture of that somewhere!!

newrider.com