Laminitis, a modern problem???

Very interesting read, I was astonished that out of the 1000 specimens that were looked at 75% had shown signs of laminitis, although i note that only 6% was serious..
Doesn't seem it is that modern of a disease after all...

Thats really interesting, I saw a report on Australian brumies (feral horses) where 90% showed some degree of lami, hopefully these discoveries will spur new lines of reasearch.

That is interesting. Someone posted other research recently on here. Can;t remember who or the detials but iirc it also seemed to be questioning the modern view of laminitis as reasted to rich hrass. I think the conclusion was horses should not be restricted as it was more the stress of restriction that triggered it or something. I can't remember the detail now though.

Thanks Wally -
As to whether it is diet related the jury would have to be out? Lots of uncertainty about horse herds and their apparent extinction due to climate and terrain change. I heard at the British Museum for instance that horses could not survive in forests which spread up the West coast of Europe, but I read somewhere else later that there are horses in Russia adapted to forest life.

Another suggestion was they were hunted to extinction which might be explicable if laminitis make them less able to run from predators.

Another things that is unclear is whether an apparent genetic weakness may survive because it brought associated benefits to the population.

Wow! I confess to be one of the people who preach long and loud about lammi being a relatively new phenomena (well in the numbers we see now of course) as I rarely came across or heard of cases growing up or in my earlier life with horses. I thought we worked them more and fed them less back then in the dark ages and that is why it is more prevalent now as horses are generally worked less and fed more. This very interesting article does question my thoughts and I look forward to further research.

Wow! I confess to be one of the people who preach long and loud about lammi being a relatively new phenomena (well in the numbers we see now of course) as I rarely came across or heard of cases growing up or in my earlier life with horses. I thought we worked them more and fed them less back then in the dark ages and that is why it is more prevalent now as horses are generally worked less and fed more. This very interesting article does question my thoughts and I look forward to further research.

That's what my old vet said to me about lammi. The fact nobody worked them as much and also he reckoned feeding rich hayledge becoming more common added to the problem.

I have been taught like Cortrasna - and do believe it a bit. In our London yard the horses hack often for hours a day. They dont get turned out. At another yard where I had lessons turn out was scarce and the horses didnt get long. In my 15 years of London riding I havent known a horse get laminitis except it threatening Maisie when she was on box rest for long months. Yet plenty of people complain our horses are overworked.

Hi I'm a 3rd year BSc student at the Royal Veterinary College completing research in to 'Owners perceptions of laminitis: the role of diet in cause and management'. This will hopefully bridge the gap between what owners believe and what the current research says. This will help better direct future research and improve educational resources for owners to help our beloved horses and ponies. It would be greatly appreciated if you could take 10 minutes to complete this questionnaire.

Many thanks in advance!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...9rvcc2bjfLyoUgzJX4hMNggw/viewform?usp=sf_link

newrider.com