Loan advice

baybabe

Apr 4, 2007
Due to complete timewasters and the credit crunch, my mare is still for sale.
A lady who has lessons on my yard has approached me about having her on loan. l She has her own livery yard and is a very competent rider. she sees the potential in her and hopes to bring her on over the winter for me maybe get some interest in her from some of her clients for a sale.
The lady is a good friend of my instructors for years.
Its my first time loaning and would like some advice on what i should ask?
Insurance?
Who keeeps the passport?
Should she go with tack its a big yard?
Any otther things I should write in an agreement?
Help appreciated. Thanks:)

Definetly get a written contract, even have it signed at the solicitors, you keep the passport, this way she cant realy sell her.

Send her with the tack, this way you know shes wearing the correct tack that fits her well.

Can you not out her on loan for a year until you are a little bit more finacially stable, this way, your mare gets worked and brought on over the winter and you get to keep her.

Talk to the woman, see exactly what shes wants to do with the mare how long she wants her for, im sure you can come up with some agreement that suits you both.

And loaning her out means that you can keep some contact and see her doing well.

:D

I would definately have a loan contract, I recently loaned out my horse without one to a ' friend' unfortunately he came back needing vetinary attention, Lame ( not seen vet) and also all my tack was ' stolen '

I have not been reimbursed a penny, as they know without a contract they technically can get away with it, alougth I am using my own solicter now to take futher action :cool:

Try having a look on the BHS website - they have an example contract than my 'loan owners' used as the template for our contract. It lists all the stuff he came with, what we can/can't do and any terms of keeping eg. I pay for vet, insurance etc and they want him to be in over night during the winter.

It's a good one, very comprehensive and will give you a starting point

My husband loaned a pony a few year years before he met me to a local riding school, who sold him on without his knowledge. As far asi he was aware the woman had moved the pony to a different field as he was being bullied.
A month later my hubby saw a similar pony at a farm he was doing a job at. convinced it was his spoke to the owner. Shock it was his she had recently bought him. The pony was being well looked after by new owner so it wasnt pursed. But he was fuming. This was all before passports were brought out.:mad:run.
So you can see why im wary.
Although I do know the woman, she will bring my pony on well with her schooling and jumping which i think will help in the long run, as im too novice to do this. Just want to make sure I have everything covered.

sounds like it could be very benefical to your pony... Just tread carefully and trust no-one! Full contracts and regular checks is a must.. I learnt the hard way :cool: I have loaned myself in the past, and really enjoyed it.. and looked after the horses as if my own... so I can see both sides.

If someone is perfectly legit with nothing to hide, and can afford to care for the horse, they wont have a problem with signing contracts.

if you do decide to loan, I think the BHS website has a specimen contract

newrider.com