Local events

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I started a local horsey facebook group about a year ago, as many of you know I organized a Halloween ride which everyone said they really enjoyed and decided to organize more stuff.

So we have a show and tell series for the winter;
First aid for lami, colic and lacerations being given by a member who is a 5th year vet student
An equisage demo from a member who does it as a business
A nutrition talk from our local feed manufacturer
A rope halter and paracord braiding session that I am doing
Keeping safe in the forest from our friendly forest ranger
A human first aid talk from a member who works in care
A talk on heavy horse turnout from a couple of members who have and show heavies

And all being held at the local pub/social club that we use when we do rides too, they have even offered to open up for us on nights they don't normally open. I'm really chuffed that people are giving up their time and we are able to do these for free :D (I bet you could do them as fund raisers though if you wanted an idea)

We also have a boxing day ride planned :D and I plan to do another for Easter (maybe an egg hunt :p)

I started a local horsey facebook group about a year ago, as many of you know I organized a Halloween ride which everyone said they really enjoyed and decided to organize more stuff.

First aid for lami, colic and lacerations being given by a member who is a 5th year vet student
A talk on heavy horse turnout from a couple of members who have and show heavies

And all being held at the local pub/social club that we use when we do rides too, they have even offered to open up for us on nights they don't normally open. I'm really chuffed that people are giving up their time and we are able to do these for free :D (I bet you could do them as fund raisers though if you wanted an idea)

We also have a boxing day ride planned :D and I plan to do another for Easter (maybe an egg hunt :p)

I so want to come and live near you Jessey what a great horsey social calendar you've created. :)

Sounds ace!

Reactions: Jessey
I think I may have taken on more than I have patience for, the first aid talk was last Sunday and of the 13 people who said they were coming only 6 arrived :mad: it was blooming good too, they really missed out.

I'm now trying to get numbers for the boxing day ride/drinks and its like pulling teeth, its on Facebook so has its own event page, all I have asked is for everyone to simply click going/maybe/no and if going let me know if they plan to be riding or just meeting for a drink and of the 12 who said yes only 2 have managed that in its entirety, the rest are just posting 'going' after my instruction and I have no idea if they plan to ride or not :mad: I had planned to make it so you each had to collect things on the way round, but looks like I will have to come up with something else that doesn't require me to know how many people are going :rolleyes:

Wish we had something similar, there are alot of horses near where I keep mine, two livery yards then livery yards in the next 3 villages but nothing social wise as far as i am aware. Hoping to get the balls to go to the livery in springa nd ask if i can join some of them for hack occasionally so i can be shown some new routes and hopefully make new horsey friends in the area

I live in a small village with no shops, one pub, 5 livery yards, 6 private yards (facilities and multiple horses) and several private owners who keep their horses on their own land. We don't have a social group either ... not sure it would work actually, given the level of rivalry and bitchiness in the horsey community!

Sounds a nightmare for you @Jessey. People just don't like to commit do they? I think Christmas is especially difficult because however much you'd like to do something, like go for a lovely boxing day hack, other family members have other ideas and you end up getting pulled into visiting aunty so-and-so etc.

Wish we had something similar, there are alot of horses near where I keep mine, two livery yards then livery yards in the next 3 villages but nothing social wise as far as i am aware. Hoping to get the balls to go to the livery in springa nd ask if i can join some of them for hack occasionally so i can be shown some new routes and hopefully make new horsey friends in the area
We had nothing here until I started organizing :)

I live in a small village with no shops, one pub, 5 livery yards, 6 private yards (facilities and multiple horses) and several private owners who keep their horses on their own land. We don't have a social group either ... not sure it would work actually, given the level of rivalry and bitchiness in the horsey community!

Sounds a nightmare for you @Jessey. People just don't like to commit do they? I think Christmas is especially difficult because however much you'd like to do something, like go for a lovely boxing day hack, other family members have other ideas and you end up getting pulled into visiting aunty so-and-so etc.
Our community is really friendly, we don't seemt o suffer the bitchyness but most are on private or small yards, I think not being in such close proximity all the time helps :D
I get people don't want to commit around Xmas, and I don't mind if they don't come, would just appreciate being told that. The issue with the boxing day ride isn't that people don't want to go, it's just that they all expect me to know their plans because they told me a month ago, or because I know them personally they seem to think that I ought to automatically know their plans, which possibly I can guess but when I am going out on Xmas day to put out markers I don't want to have to be trying to figure out/guess who's doing what, I just wanted it all in one place so I could have a quick reference.

Reactions: Bodshi
We had nothing here until I started organizing :).

im not quite that confident with people to be organising things lol all year i planned to go to the livery yard uo the road and ask if i could join them on a hack one day, still haven't actually got to courage to do so lol

im not quite that confident with people to be organising things lol all year i planned to go to the livery yard uo the road and ask if i could join them on a hack one day, still haven't actually got to courage to do so lol
I don't lack confidence but I'm not a people person as I enjoy my own company but I set up a facebook group (mostly because I got fed up going on bay/sell pages and people/things were always miles away) and invited local people to join (I am admin and won't let anyone from out of area join) and I try to make sure I put something on there daily, share events that are on locally, news, weather...anything that is useful to horse folk, had that running about 6 months before I organized a ride/meet up and it spiraled from there :) I think its about 190 people strong now :)
I also have a smaller group which is just for the horsey people on the lane where mine are, we use it mostly as a horsewatch type tool, anything odd we post about and everyone keeps an eye out for each other, if we have things to get rid of we try there first and if we want to co-buy things (shared load hey etc) and organize the odd ride :)

Im not on facebook, so i dont even have that as a communication thing lol! Only horses friends i have is my instructor (also a family friend) my mum, although we arent friends haha and aln is a close friend but her livery is wellllll far away

newrider.com