Making your own jumps?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
I am looking at getting some jumps for piggy - but they are so expensive!

Has anyone made their own jump poles/wings? Particularily plastic ones - as he is tiny I think plastic may be better for his legs as he may not knock wooden ones off if he catches them?

I have always made my own jumps.

I prefer wooden wings and poles as teaches them to lift legs and even a Shetland can knock down a wooden pole :)

If you really want plastic the heavy duty guttering pipes will suit. Some people have used the light ones but they break easily and sharp of they are stomped on.

I used tyres and barrels, we got some plastic pipes and they worked well but they blew over really easily in the wind. When I get poles again I will def be getting wooden ones.

Yes my best investment was wooden poles. I saved by buying 6ft ones. No one really uses those as "too short" but I just call them skinnys.

Cones are good, you can now buy cone tops from jwjumps?
Straw bales with or without bale covers.

Another jump idea - I turn over a water trough to jump too (unused obviously!) - could put a pole over if you wanted it bigger.

I buy 10 ft jump poles for my bigger ponies cost approx. £10 each but for the the two littles I use tree stakes they are about 8 ft long cut of the spiked end and they cost approx. £2.50 to £3.00 per stakes..... they make fabulous jump poles for little ponies.... just use tyres they are free. or make wings they are not hard or expensive to make :D

I've used a canoe before :') Wings are fun we found some vintage wooden post boxes that made awesome wings. You can fill milk container for raised poles but we often use those big blue barrels!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I have some 8ft wooden strainer posts for my poles. I found when my horse was green that if he knocked the woodens it did knock his confidenc e and I would then have to lower them for a few times to build his confidence again. So in the end I paid out and brought 2 plastic jump poles. I use those for the high jumps and the woodens for all the small jumps. I paid out for the plastic jump wings though. I have a load of road cones but Ive yet to try them. I noticed that some people use them under the pole to act as a scary filler.

We have a straight pole down our yard which is fixed at both ends with wooden crosses. The pole is ofset with the cross so by turning the x over the pole is at different heights.

Some people use tyres stacked up and put a pole across the top. I find that they roll off to easy if the horse knocks it.

I remember someone saying that if you make up your own wings try to use nuts and bolts instead of nails. Just incase your horse has a refusal and goes crashing into the wing. If the wing comes to bits, nails can cause nasty injurys to you or your horse.

newrider.com