Mares vs geldings

Geldings!!!!

Mares, like most females, are too temperamental (well I know I am lol).

Geldings, like most males, respond to basic things, food and a commanding female voice lol

I don't have a preference tbh.

When I was little I had a black shetland mare who was the sweetest thing on four legs, a little Welsh sec. A mare who was a complete witch, a loan mare who was a little cow and threw me off resulting in a broken wrist, another loan mare who again was so so sweet (chestnut too!), and Cherry now who I love so much and doesnt have a bad bone in her body. Geldings I've had a 13hh welshX who I'll never ever forget because he was so trusting, a 13.2hh BRP who was an angel and taught me so much.

My sister has had a gelding who was an absolute NIGHTMARE very nasty boy, another gelding who was such a character and he would do anything for you, ANOTHER gelding who had the cheekiest and sweetest personality ever.

My mum atm has a chestnut mare 19yrs old and still an absolute b*gger who convinces herself that we all hate her :rolleyes:

Haha so there you go, thats the lot I've had :D

mares every time, every gelding I have known has been slightly woosy and to pardon the pun lacking in balls, a mare I have found rises to the challenge and is a lot more competitive which suits me no end :)

Mares everytime:)

I find it is *usually* possible to have much more of a bond with a mare.I have always found them much more emotional (which isn't always a good thing I know!!),loyal,loving and giving than geldings.

Geldings!!!!

Mares, like most females, are too temperamental (well I know I am lol).

Geldings, like most males, respond to basic things, food and a commanding female voice lol

:D I don't think I could have said it any better ...
But I must add that with my geldings, I am the only "temperamental mare" in the stables, don't need competition ;)

mares definetly mares :D im always worried that if i had a gelding that if something went wrong you couldnt do much with him whereas with mares you can always breed..may sound a bi harsh but to me makes sense :p;)

I had a gelding first, and always thought, geldings more reliable less moody etc etc and the mares I knew were moody too!

But then I bought a filly and totally changed my mind. She and I have so much closer a relationship after 2 years than my gelding and I have after 9. And she doesnt get moody moments either. AND she loves having her lady bits cleaned which is totally unlike Lethal Weapon cleaning attempts on his majesty - nightmare!

So mares for me every time now...

I had a gelding first, and always thought, geldings more reliable less moody etc etc and the mares I knew were moody too!

But then I bought a filly and totally changed my mind. She and I have so much closer a relationship after 2 years than my gelding and I have after 9. And she doesnt get moody moments either. AND she loves having her lady bits cleaned which is totally unlike Lethal Weapon cleaning attempts on his majesty - nightmare!

So mares for me every time now...

That's definitely another plus with having mares,no sheath cleaning:D

I wouldn't *not* buy a horse based on whether it's a mare or a gelding...Exmoor owners are encouraged to have ridden geldings as the brred is endangered and the mares should be used for breeding during the useful breeding years!

I also think if I had a mare I'd be tempted to breed a foal!

My previous pony was a boy, as is my current.

Personally, geldings always.

However, my geldings ironically have all been *def not riggs but* very stallion like in their behaviour and most certainly weren't push overs or the like...
Owning a stud we have mares, geldings and stallions. I love the geldings and stallions, can tolerate the mares but just can't get on with them as well as the guys I'm afraid!

Mares or stallions for me.

I have three girls none of whom are mareish when in season. In fact, I used to pray for Peri (my old advanced mare) to be IN season for a competition as she always performed better for being a bit sharper.

Most geldings I just don't get the best from - only two I really 'get' are my friend's old chap and he was a stallion until he was 5yo, and the Fell Pony gelding I compete who just thinks he's a stallion :rolleyes:

I don't have a preference really. Even though i have a gelding. I've only ever ridden one very tempremental mare. But i might have to side with mares, they are so cute and generally loveable :) I used to ride an 18 yr old mare and she was the best horse i've ever ridden, she was amazing and she still love to jump 3ft 6 with me and enjoyed it so much, squealing cos she loved it so much :D

Erm...I used to think i'd always stick to geldings - more even tempered, not really too interested in the opposite sex (or too angry with them) etc....but I recently bought a little filly.....shes fantastic - wouldnt swap her for anything :D

One thing I have noticed though, is that I only need to "suggest" something to my filly, and she jumps straight into it - no questions, no oppinions, just does it almost before I ask...but I have had to , and still have to TELL the geldings to do something - sometimes more than 1x....its not just mine Ive noticed this with either...maybe that is just coincidence though? (dont get me wrong btw, I do ask them first - they always have the choice, lol).

I have found one or two who dont fall into these "generalisations", but for the most part, thats been my experience...I guess for that reason, Id always thought mares were a bit too "sharp" for me.... Now that I know what to expect, Im more open to them.....My little filly is fab - not nasty or "mareish" (yet), but she loves to please, and is quick to do so too!

:D

I never had a preference before as Id never had a mare....Since getting Sofi and Bubbles I have ot say boys all the way...Ok Joey is a complete nightmare at times but that isn't really his fault but walking through the mares field at feed time is like having a death wish, whereas the boys are quiet polite and wait patiently (yes even Joey) the mares kick, squeal, bite chase etc...That is 4 different mares and all the same. bubbles is better now as she doesn'tcome into season often anymore and has lost the mareishness. But I don't think I would actively look for another mare ever

I prefer mares. Geldings always seem to try to be boss as if they have to make a point. I can communicate much more easily with mares. My gelding also seems to be jealous of my mare getting my attention, so he is always having a go at her when I am about, although I've watched from a distance and if I'm not there they get on fine.

I prefer mares. Geldings always seem to try to be boss as if they have to make a point. I can communicate much more easily with mares. My gelding also seems to be jealous of my mare getting my attention, so he is always having a go at her when I am about, although I've watched from a distance and if I'm not there they get on fine.

My horses are the same :D - my gelding HAS to question everything I say, and has to have the attention BEFORE my filly - he'll happily boot her out of the way.....Im just waiting for my filly to grow up and realise that SHES the boss - cant wait for her to put the gelding in his place! (it is more usual for the MARE to be IN CHARGE of the gelding/herd, rather than the other way round).... I dont know how that relates back to their handlers though....are there many people who find that mares try and take the lead with their owners more than the geldings do??? Or do they just take charge in the field and are more willing to work with their handlers than geldings are?

I think we agree over all though Island_Girl - Ive found that geldings question you back, whereas mares are sharp to get the job done....but then again, I think it also boils down to the individual horse too.:p

ETA - has anyone found that mares tend to be "braver" than geldings?....ok, so they might spook, but they are also willing to take the lead and just head on out with gusto (even though they may be snorting)....I find that geldings might try and take more of a "backseat" approach and let someone else check the road ahead for danger....

Last edited:
Geldings all the way.

I've loaned mares before but I just find I bond more with geldings. I can't help it, I get on better with men then women aswell! :p I find women to b!tchy! ;)

I don't like mares in season, it smells and they are more tempermental then most geldings (excluding Forest whos such a wuss!! :cool:;))

Nothing against mares, some people like them some people don't. Equally some people like Forest, some people don't.

Don't get me wrong, I get on really well with some mares and hate some geldings but as a hole I like geldings more! :D

newrider.com