Maybe lead rein swap for a piebald cob?

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Today I am going to look at a black and white cob 21/2 years old to make around 14.2hh. They lady who owns him wants a lead rein pony and I have darcy just sitting in the feild doing nothing due to no young riders this year.

I have spoke to Skye and my rider Sammy about this cob and both like the look of him as a project pony that is a more suitable height for us.... for backing next spring? He has a stable name but we are going to call him Check Mate for his show name :) I think he is kind of cute looking but I don't really know much about cobs as I have never owned one.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Nice, I have a love of coloured Cobs and 2 1/2 is a good age to bring on - our mare is 13.3hh and has been a good alrounder for all the family - looks to have reasonable bone and the requisite ammount of hairy - plenty to grow into - sounds as if you have already made your mind up - good luck

I love him! So cute. Piebald cob ponies always make me think of Black Boy in Ruby Ferguson's 'Jill' series of girls' pony books, which I adored as a kid.

He's lovely and he looks very kind. But I think more important than experience with cobs is experience with youngsters ... Cobs are just horses, and they can be bolshy, bargy, argumentative and excitable, or steady, reliable, willing and honest. I've had both kinds - in the same horse!

Yup he's definitely cute. Though I have to admit most coloured cobs look the same to me :redface: But do have a good look at his conformation and make sure you're not just being taken in by the hairiness and the handsome face. I think sometimes people tend to see coloured cobs and go "oh wow" and not necessarily look at them with judgemental eyes - which IMO is what you need to do if you're taking on a youngster, particularly if you have specific plans in mind.

Well I got back from seeing him and he is so sweet, not fantastically handled but he has time to learn that. He will be a little project for Skye and Sammy. He was friendly and inquisitive not at all bolshy. I did like him and took some more photos which I will add in a bit.

At the end of the day he is going to make more of a size we can do something with. So will be infinitely useful and fit in with my little herd. :) I just need her to come see my Darcy now. This afternoon if she likes him the swap can go ahead.

Last edited:
newrider.com