Moody mare

charliejonny

Oct 8, 2006
mid wales
Hi just a quick question,should i use a moody mare supp or a calming supp?
i have a mare who comes into season every 3 weeks or so as shes kept on a yard with stallions,she can highly strung anyway and some people have said to try a calming supp and others have said try a moody mare supp,if so which suppliments would you sug as theres so many out there?:confused:
I feed her on a low energy feed and she gets worked 4-5 times a week,she just needs the edge taking off her.:D

I have tried the Mare Magic and although it did not work for my mare...I have heard it does ABSOLUTE WONDERS mares as you describe. It is basically only Raspeberry leaves and it just puts their hormones back in order.

You might want to try it or just feed Raspeberry leaves. That probably would help! :)

Good Luck

Hi thanks everyone the naf supp comes up a lot when i ask people so i might give that a go first and fingers crossed it calmes my gorgeous but very moody mare.:D

Do you have to keep her in such close proximity to the stallions ? I think if you took the stallions out of the equation your mare would settle more the stallions presents will encourage her to come into season regulary and her moodyness is her way of telling them she is or isn't or is very nearly in season . If you watch mares and stallions in a field as a herd this becomes apparent just because there in stables doesn't change there behaviour. I ran a showing stud for more years than I care to rememeber lol. I would never have the animals that where being trained and shown especially the mares anywhere near the stallions it kept them much calmer in there being.

Last edited:
Hi we have no option he livery yard is a mix of stallions geldings and mares,people are very particular about there stables and will not move for anybody so at the mo we are stuck,shes ok most of the time its just for a few days of the month shes a little on the moody side(bit like me really:D ).
You know what livery yards are like people get very funny about there space so we`ll see what happens.
Anyother sug would be great.:p

I use NAF Oestress for my mare who gets very grouchy during her seasons.

With your mare assess if her moods are just bad during her seasons if so then try a mare supplement, if she is just a bit hyped all the time then try a calmer :D

A couple of people on my yard use naf oestress every day and not just when there in season,most mares on the yard come into season every 3 weeks or so so they keep there horses on the supp everyday and it seems to work a treat,is it ok to do that or not?
due to all the stallions on the yard most of the mares are grouchy most of the time.
Ive read a lot of threads on the subject where people have said that they keep there mares on tht supp all year round.

I was wondering if its a good suppliment to use anyway. My mare isnt (so far) particulary difficult when in season. She wee's and squeeks a bit but thats it, but i wonder if this suppliment make them feel better anyway, plus, if i tried it, would i trigger something:confused:

newrider.com