Mountain Horse Sportive High Rider

Anna**

May 25, 2000
Shropshire
Visit site
Anyone got a pair and what are your views? I want to get some long boots and have been thinking about these for a while. They seem good for general use but also say smart enough for competition.

Wifey has Mountain Horse High Rider II boots and absolutely loves them :) . They are the only riding boots/shoes she owns and wears them all the time. They are not as smart as the sportive high rider (much more chunky) but still look good enough for competition once they've been all polished up (my job :rolleyes: ).

Only comment to make is that on the advice of the shop she bought a size smaller than she normally would, as her usual size had a tiny bit of movement in the heel when she walked. She then spent 3 weeks struggling to get her foot into the smaller pair and thinking she'd made a big (and expensive) mistake :eek:. However, the shop was spot on with their advice and she has been wearing them for the last year (around the yard, riding and for prelim dressage) and says they are a perfect and oh so comfy fit :)

I've got the sportive high riders and they are ace. I put heel risers in mine until the anke dropped and now they are really comfy.

have them too, the sportives are for best and the high riders for day to day use. The sportives tend to fit properly whilst the HRs are a little bigger (the posrtives are sleeker, more fitted round the toe and ankle).

The down side of any of the MH it seems is the zip has a tendency to bust and can be costly to repair but I found a way of reparing them myself. The thread on how to do it is on here somewhere if you ever need to search for it.

Thanks everyone, been wanting a pair for ages and now I've heard good reports looks like i'll be getting a pair, wanted to make sure before I went to the expense of them. So if I get the sportive do I still need to get a size smaller or is that just with the normal high rider?

Thanks for the advice on the zip Ditz I might print that thread off just in case ;)

Thanks again everyone:)

I've got really skinny feet and legs and found that the Sportive high riders fit really well - I tried for ages to get long boots.

I found them a bit uncomfortable to start with until they dropped but now I wear them every day (at least I would if my ankle wasn't broken!) - they're fantastic.

I prefer the Dublin Distinction long boots. They have less of a reputation for breaking, think they still cost the same (or less) and because I can't stand the way MH (and other brands for that matter) stick the big logo on the outside of the boots, I think they look a lot better for competition.

From what I've heard of them, I'd never buy a pair of MH boots, although there seem to be a lot of people on here who like them.

Ah well I've bought the MH sportive ones now Daffy Dilly although now the Dublin Distinction ones may be worth considering.

Need some help again from all you MH boot owners, had my brand new pair delivered today :) down side though is i've tried them on and much to my embarrasment as not owning a pair of long boots, im not sure how they are supposed to look :eek: To me the ankle area seems quite big, if that makes sense, so i'm worried that will crease up alot and also i'm a size 5, never fit in a 4 but these seem maybe a little big, my foot moves about in them ever so slightly at the heel, I know in the winter I will be wearing thicker socks but then they will give more anyway won't they. Is this normal or do I need a size 4 :eek: Thinking of what you said Harvey99 about the normal high rider, i might be better sending these back and getting the smaller size but then I'm scared they will be too small - How silly I can't make up my mind what to do coz i've never got long boots before :p

Before you make your mind up Anna, go to a shop and try on the boots. Try both sizes, and make sure they give you brand new pairs to try on. You can always order them from a catalogue or on-line once you've made your mind up if you think that's cheaper.

As for the socks thing. I don't understand why people wear different thickness socks in their boots depending on the season. If they fit properly with thick socks on, they won't fit well with thin ones and vice versa. I always wear thick walking boot socks in my long boots whatever the weather. They are designed to keep the foot cool and moisture free in summer, and warm in winter. And it means my boots fit well all year round :)

If there is some movement in the heel of your new boots I would say they are too big and will end up rubbing. But go and try the next size down first. And try the pair you bought with some decent socks!!:rolleyes:

Thanks, its just I don't have any shops near me that stock Mountain Horse or that will get me some in so I have to order on-line or from a catalogue, therefore it means sending the one pair back and getting the others sent then deciding thats why I was just getting a bit of advice before I did it :rolleyes:

Hmm difficult if you can't try both pairs at the same time. In that case I would try the pair you have got with a proper pair of socks (get some thick walking boot socks). If you still feel some movement in the heel area then get the smaller pair. Although I warn you they may well feel too small to start with. My wife was convinced they were and really struggled to get her foot in them, but as I say she says they are now absolutely perfect.

Anna** said:
but then I'm scared they will be too small - How silly I can't make up my mind what to do coz i've never got long boots before :p

It's not silly. My wife had never had long boots before and the MH ones are expensive to make a mistake with and she really didn't know whether they were right or not either. Nearly had tears and tantrums in our house over it :) :rolleyes:

That makes me feel loads better, I haven't resorted to the tears and tantrums quite yet but if I get near to them I'll know im not the only one :D I'll try them with some thick walking socks later. Thanks for all your advice and if I do end up getting a smaller size I won't panic too soon if they're too tight and I struggle for a while. They are lovely boots tho :) Thanks again!!

You're welcome :)

Anna** said:
and if I do end up getting a smaller size I won't panic too soon if they're too tight and I struggle for a while.

Every day for three weeks : "They're too small!! It hurts to get my foot in! They'll never be right! Knew I shouldn't have bought these! I can't take them back now I've worn them! We can't afford another pair! How did I get myself talked into buying the smaller pair!"

Now: "I LOVE my MH boots. Will definately buy another pair. They were so right in the shop about the size. If I'd bought the bigger pair, they'd be too big now. I knew they'd be oK in the end...."

B****y women :rolleyes: :p

what happened anna, did you get the smaller size?
do you like them?
please answer, i'm dying to know, as i want a pair myself and have feet that are 4/5 depending on the make

thanks
xx

newrider.com