My confidence tips

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
Only progress at a pace you feel happy with.

Don't be afraid to ride, if you can get on you can always get off again if needs be, I know some folkes say you should'nt but really the horse won't care.

Don't get on any nutters unless you like that sort of thing. There is a horse for everyone.

Don't worry about progression, only do what you are happy with and enjoy. You don't have to canter, jump or whatever.

If you do something you feel is to much, take a step back and keep practicing till you get bored un want to move on.

If you are not young un fit, take some other exercise (along side your lessons) that will help you build up riding fitness, pilates is great, it helps with balance and core strenght.

Don't get confused with nervousness and excitment. One can easily boil over into the other.

Imagine doing what you want to achieve in relaxed surrondings. Then keep playing the record.

If you are really nervous about riding walk with you horse until you get tired un decide it would be easier to get on un have a rest!

Last edited:
I like your list.

Except for the bit about if you are not young and fit -
Unless one is very obese which OH and I never were - there is no physical fitness requirement for learning to ride. Far more should be known and understood about the benefits of riding for the elderly.
Everything that applies to riding for the disabled applies to older people like us.

The riding brings mental and physical benefits very suitable for people not capable of yoga, pilates etc. Riding will increase fitness through the many small muscle adjustments required to balance on a horse. But do not encourage older people to feel that taking exercise or doing pilates etc is a pre-condition to riding a horse.

I like your list.

Unless one is very obese which OH and I never were - there is no physical fitness requirement for learning to ride. Far more should be known and understood about the benefits of riding for the elderly.
Everything that applies to riding for the disabled applies to older people like us.

The riding brings mental and physical benefits very suitable for people not capable of yoga, pilates etc. Riding will increase fitness through the many small muscle adjustments required to balance on a horse. But do not encourage older people to feel that taking exercise or doing pilates etc is a pre-condition to riding a horse.

I like your list.

Yes I agree. I did'nt mean or say pre- condition I meant it can help (for those who can) along side riding lessons etc especially if you are one off those who only have access to a horse once a week or fortnight etc. I could not agree more to your comment about the benefits of riding, young or old, big or small, disabled or whatever. I have worked with disabled/mentally ill and seen there faces light up when they see and ride horses. I have been riding all my life, I am 53. This thread was posted for those with confidence issues and is just a generalised thing based on my own experiences to try un help others. There are always exceptions to everything. Enjoy your riding!:smile:

Agree with all you have said - especially the bit about being too tired to walk anymore and then getting on!

I did this with Tobes after he frightened me a lot. I was exhausted after about three miles, he had a bridle on, but no saddle and was so good walking in hand I just hopped on for the last mile home bareback!

My pearls are all stolen from other people so apologies, and thankyou!!

1. I walk my horse along to the school to ride and that quarter mile or so helps to calm horse and me before mounting up. (opposite of getting off if not happy, but thats me, weird!)

2. Deep breathes near my horse. Apparently (and it could be a placebo, but I'm all for them!) it helps soothe the horse. So as well as calming you down, not breathing so fast, it might have some miraculous horse whispering capabilities!

3. Do a bit of groundwork before mounting up. Just to check out how your horse is feeling today, are they listening, do they need reminding of who the leader is. Just wandering aimlessly changing direction, backing up. Helps in the same kind of way as walking along to the school before mounting up.

4. If in doubt, forward. I'm only now, after almost three years, been happy to stand still while on my horse. I find if something is likely to cause issues, then better moving at a walk or trot. Push him on.

5. Sing as loud as possible to cover any spookiness. (but remember and sing when unspooky stuff is going on as well so they don't automatically think bad singing equals scarey stuff)

6. Don't push yourself too much, and for godsake don't let anyone else push you either. Remain in control. Sometimes its better to have someone there who isn't as experienced, as then you can't help but take the lead - and that is what your horse needs alot of the time.

7. Depending on who you are, have someone talk to you about absolute drivel, to help calm you down in scary situations.

8. Think about what you like to do in certain situations and make sure your helper is fully briefed as to how you like stuff done before they help for the first time. (I can't speak, or listen to anyone while mounting. Once in the saddle you can say whatever you want, but if you told me you were getting married to a rabbit I wouldn't hear you when I'm in that zone).

9.Confidence isn't linear, it will go up and down depending on the day, your mood, the weather, what underwear you've got on. Accept that and don't beat yourself up. Just focus on the fact that you built up a bit of confidence before now, and it will return, probably quicker than the first time.

10. Push yourself at a healthy pace. It gets easier, but only if you keep a sustained effort. I know thats contradicting an earlier point that you shouldn't do anything you're not comfortable with, but you have to get the balance of making progress, but at a speed that isn't going to overface you.

Mine would be -

1. Keep riding as much as possible. If you keep riding nerves get much much better.

2. Riding early in the morning (summer time) is fab, you are too tired at 5am to stress too much and you don't have the whole day at work stressing that you might fall off if you ride in the evening.

2. Get a good instructor and be the best rider you can be - most especially if your horse tends to be excitable/over reactive - mentally, the thought that you have the ability to control your horse is the most important.

3. There are times you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and when you have done it, the next time is a whole lot easier.

Hi - Like this :smile:
My main rules are usually
Do not ever get on a horse with a hangover
I agree time in the saddle is the Key
Do not expect a miracle if you do not ride at least a few times a week with your horse
Do lots of ground work - manners on the ground are also the key
Have a plan - know where you are going and what you plan to do - they need that leadership
Do not ride out with boy racers / or girl ones come to that if you dont want to
yes being out of your comfort zone is a must from time to time
learn how to say no .

newrider.com