Nails for shoeing and should I change farrier?

I don't find it as easy to discuss matters with this one, as the old one. I do think however that there is something to be said for the extortionate prices the farriers seem to be charging though. It is too over the top. If we could all go barefoot and not have them out as regular then maybe the prices would come down.

Anyway the bad news is that the loose shoe which he has managed to keep on for 2 & 1/2 weeks was off tonight when I went to see him, so I shall be hunting round the field on Saturday morning before the farrier comes out. I was hoping to take some before and after shots. I guess I could still do that maybe it would give you an idea of how much is being taken off and the way it is fitted.

Here is a picture that I took about 5 weeks ago. It was the afternoon the farrier had been out. Don't know how much you can make out of it. The one on the left as you look at it is the bar shoe, the right with the clip is the normal shoe.

xloopylozzax will read your info and have a look at the sites. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 24
from what i can see if your horse is losing the bar show more often it is because of the lack of a clip- it is easy to make out of a shoe when it is hot (dont need a new one)
the clenches also look quite low on the foot (depends on farrier but ours are alot higher than that and we never lose shoes)

on the worn shoes is the toe and inside edge more worn than the heel?

just out of interest how much does the farrier charge? (pm me if you want)

£30 for the new. The previous one was £50. That was for the two shoes on the front and barefoot on the back. Prior to that when he was barefoot on all for it was £20 for a trim. The bar shoes the early farrier got did have a clip on the front. The new farrier said he had never seen a bar shoe with a clip on the front.

Interesting I went to a show back last September and I was asking about shoeing then. The people I spoke to about bar shoes told me that clips on bar shoes had only just been brought out by them a few months ago. They thought I was a complete idiot when I told them that the bar shoes which my horse was currently wearing had a clip on the front and the ones with clips on the front my horse had been wearing since Febuary. They looked a bit annoyed with me and couldn't wait to get rid of me. Hence I couldn't get any more advice from them and very quickly got palmed off. The only thing they did say was that a bar shoe was available with 2 clips as well as 1.

The nails are snapping, not pulling out of the foot completely, only pulling out enough to make the shoe loose.

I will take some pics at the weekend. I need to resolve this matter and decide how I will proceed in the future.

all shoes can have clips on them (even if they arent bought like that it is simple to do and not really time consuming)
i wouldn't call that price extortionate considering price of fuel and steel at the moment. ;)
as for the nails snapping i have no idea- have you worked out which brand they are? (see earlier posts for websites)
where abouts are you from?

Hmmm, I think your dad ought to get you drawing out a few toe and quarter clips! :D :D It is a very skilled job and it makes you sweat! It's simple watching the farrier do it!

I think he could nail a bit higher though, generally 1/3 up the hoof is accepted as correct and a good job.

all you do is heat the shoe then hold on corner of anvil and hit edge of shoe until the metal begins to extend into a triangle shape and file to remove sharp edges
it only takes a couple of minutes each shoe
(and i wouldnt notice the sweat he sweats all the time anyway!)
but he is very fast i have seen him shoe 30 horses in 1 day (different yards, no lunch, started at 8.30 finish at 6ish)
werent all good nags either alot of youngsters
he just gets on with it
alot of young farriers suffice on doing a few horses a day- that is why there is a shortage and a tendancy for them to charge what they want

all you do is heat the shoe then hold on corner of anvil and hit edge of shoe until the metal begins to extend into a triangle shape and file to remove sharp edges
yeah right, and all you do to play the flute is blow in one end and move your fingers up and down the buttons! :D :D

Does he not use a bob punch to draw out a "bubble" first?

actually flute is that simple ( i play clarinet and basic flute, sax and piano)

lol yeah he does- its over a year since i have seen him do it (having treatment for cancer at the mo, just come out of hospital again yesterday but its terminal so they aren't treating him if you get what i mean)
^Its ok though i suppose its just the way it goes sometimes.

Sorry to hear that xloopylozzax. I will send my regards and best wishes your way. Its a pity your not in the bus yourselfs and in my neck of the woods. I don't want to start any wars now between you and Wally. It sounds like I need both of your assistant. I couldn't care if you are not fully qualified sounds like you could give good advice on the side.

Way, way past my bedtime. I haven't been on for a days. I have been trying to get some other stuff done on the computer so I absolutely had to commit to not viewing NR. Thought I would have a quick catch up tonight on the threads I posted on recently. So I an not hitting the new posts button tonight.

I did take some pictures but I haven't taken them off the camera yet. I didn't manage to get a shot of his foot before the farrier came out as I was too busy hunting for his bar shoe in the field. Which I didn't manage to find. So we have gone for two new ones on the front which have clips, no bar shoe. I'll try and post the pics in the next couple of days. I still haven't had a chance to view those links you posted but I will most definately.

I am having exactly the same problem with my horse - he snapped one off last week and another at the weekend. Its baffling to think how it could have happened! He has been turned out in wet mud which I know could pull them off but to snap the nails seems crazy!

I am interested what area you are in incase we are having nails out of the same dodgey batch??? :D

The nails snap when they are not the right size for the shoe! Simple as that!

Has your new farrier got an american sounding name?

A couple of years ago, my old yo fell out with our farrier and resulted in us changing - now the new farrier, looked like he was making decent job to start with, then b started losing shoes. I think in the 7 times he was shod by this guy, he threw shoes 5 times. I was told that it was my horses fault, and the amount of mud at the field gate. Rubbish!!! In the 9 years i have had him, before and since, he has lost 2 shoes!

So any, way. before the total of 5 came about, I moved yards. continued to use this farrier, who also trimmed new yo's youngster. we both noted that things were starting to go down hill. my horse was getting down in his heel, long in the toe and losing shoes left & right, and youngster was long in toe & was lame intermittently.

yo gently questioned farrier on his techniques, and he launched into very defensive "shoe your own bloody horse if your not happy mode". We had him once more after that, like you say, didn't want to question the "expert", but we started looking into getting my old farrier back on side.

Happily, we got back the old farrier and lo and behold the rumours started coming through about the amount of feet in the area this other guy has butchered!!. why do you only hear these afterwards!!

End of, turns out youngster had quite advanced white line separation, due to poor trimming & my lad almost had concave feet (laminitic looking) and bruised heals. poor youngster ended up having to get supportive shoes on at 3yo:mad: and it took months and months of careful shoeing and trimming, but thank god, my wee man is just about back to normal!!.

Now, about a week after we switched, we heard that new farrier had up and left the area. no warning and certainly no word to the majority of his clients, probably the ones he had upset.

Watch out - he might be in your area. pm me if you are suspicious.

Fi x

Finally managed to work out how to get full images rather than thumbnails. (I hope!!)

img0540aa5.jpg

img0535uf0.jpg

img0536ct2.jpg

img0537kx5.jpg

img0538xz6.jpg

img0539fg9.jpg

newrider.com