not Disabled, but can you help?

dont know what HMS is, but have you tried just a tubi-grip?

or there are the supports you can buy in Boots or chemists...

I need something that supports my knee cap (patella) and my RI said that tubigrips bunch up under jods and are uncomfortable.

HMS= Hyper-mobility Syndrome. it is like being too loosely fastened together so joints are not supported properly

Well I have tried several knee supports - variety of flexi tube thingies and one which was the same but with a hole at the front over the kneecap and neither helped at all, in fact I would say made it more painful.
Have also tried "taping" as done by physio - just micropore stuff but stronger, stuck around whole knee in stategic places supposed to pull the knee into position and steady it and that was useless too.
Only thing that has helped me a little is actually the shoe inserts I have from podiatry dept as it seems the Hypermobility has led to me having one leg shorter than the other as has affected my hip position. Also the dodgy knee makes me roll my foot in and I have ankles that tilt inwards.

Would it be worth requesting a podiatry assessment? I have seem all sorts of docs about my knee and these were the first people who have made any difference at all.

Other than that I would reccomend regular use of painkillers as prescibed by GP. I used to struggle on and only take them when pain was keeping me awake but after a chat with my GP now take them before it gets to that stage and it is a lot better.

Its a right old pain isn't it? Blimmin HMS.
Spent 3 days in bed last week as my neck had spasmed and locked and I couldn't move my head at all without shrieking. Still, the diazepam was nice :D

What about endurance stirrups with super wide cushioned treads?

I need something that supports my knee cap (patella) and my RI said that tubigrips bunch up under jods and are uncomfortable.

HMS= Hyper-mobility Syndrome. it is like being too loosely fastened together so joints are not supported properly

Ahh.. gotcha now.. I have an ex bf with EDS (ehlers danlos syndrome), and an ex friend with HMS.. she had to tape her knee caps before riding. got strong tape, and literally applied tape to one side, and stretched and pulled over knee cap before securing on other side.

Tubi-grips only bunch up if you have the wrong size, and if you can, stretch the jods over them, they arent that uncomfortable under if you're careful putting jods on. the pull on supports are better though.

I believe it is indeed a disabilty, and you can apply for DLA.

I need to see my doc for s medication review soon so will ask for something stronger than ibruprofen.

I believe it is indeed a disabilty, and you can apply for DLA.

so far I am not that bad, but i think i will qualify for a blue badge before mum gets round to applying for hers (stubborn) as she has needed a new knee for 20+ years.

Last edited:
I rode in tubigrips under jodhs for ages after I did my knees, and they weren't really uncomfortable, I got the REALLY long ones so that even when doubled up they went from just above my ankles to mid-thigh. Seemed to stop them bunching.

newrider.com