"open" your hips????

Silvia

Aug 2, 2000
Visit site
My riding instructor has told me repeatedly to "open my hips" so I could move better with the horse when I sit the trot. I had her explain a couple of times, but I'm still not quite sure what I am supposed to do. It might be a language problem, so if somebody could explain in simple words it wold be really helpful. ;)
Another idea is that maybe I am unable to do it because of my disability which affects muscle control in my right leg and some of my trunk muscles. I don't have full range of movement in my hip so could that be why my hips won't "open"???

Hi there,

I think it means sitting more into the saddle ie just relaxing more into it and absorbing the movement rather than fighting with it, thats how I understood it any ways, I could be wrong believe me!!! I have tried to feed my horse straw before thinking it was hay!!

I've looked it up for you and here is the definition "This term is of interest because unlike other body parts the hips can be described as 'open' in two different manners and this can cause some confusion. In most flat work the instruction to 'open your hips' refers to the loosening of your upper legs and widening of your hip joints in order to sit more deeply in the saddle. However, if you are jumping the term will refer to the angle between your upper body and your upper legs. When sitting up tall and upright your hip angle is 'open' and when leaning forward in the jumping 2-point position your hips are 'closed'. At various times an instructor may use this 'open your hips' instruction to mean either 'sit back' or 'relax your hips'."

This is quite a good site for terms and things, the link is below if you want to try.

Hope this helps :rolleyes: :D :D

http://www.worldzone.net/recreation/virtuallyhorses/terminology.html

Hey there, Brendabel gave a good explantion but here's something so you can feel the difference....Stand upright with your feet pointing straight ahead (parallel to each other) wiggle around and just feel how that feels. Now point your toes out some to the outside. You should feel much more free in your hips the latter way. Hope that can help clear it up a bit! :)

Brendabel found a good article.

Opening the hips will make the leg longer - cause you to grip less - and sit deeper in the saddle. It will give you that "classical seat"

I have a dominant right hip and scoliosis that makes it very hard for me to do this. Daily stretching exercises and plenty of time in the saddle is the only help and I still find it difficult.

Silvia, unfortunately you have fallen victim to an instructor who gives you all the usual 'riding' talk instead of clearly telling you what to move\when and how.

To see whether your disability is causing you a problem - try the following exercise at the halt (or walk if you prefer) - Sit normally - now try to push your legs outwards away from the horse horizontally - as if you have a REALLY fat horse to sit on ;) - not so much your lower legs but your knees, thighs and your hips - almost try to push your seatbones away from the saddle. Let your legs drop back in to the side of your horse again - this is opening your hips albeit in a rather forced manner.

If you find that you can't widen them very much or one side just won't move don't panic - all is not lost. The exercise is very useful as a stretch but it doesn't exactly replicate what you are trying to achieve. When you relax back into a 'normal' position your hips will be 'open' simply because you will have loosened the muscles, ligaments and tendons a little. Just try to remember this feeling of looseness when you are riding and try to allow yourself to do this rather than gripping with knees, thighs or hips.

:cool: I almost went to look at that link ;) then I realised that the URL looked rather familiar ...

Don't worry - I was told that by opening my hips I could prevent pain in my knee. I really couldn't figure out what was meant, until Hilary grabbed my leg and physically put it where she wanted it!!!!!!! Its hard trying to describe how something should feel until you've felt it.

It stopped me gripping up as Tootsie4u describes, and Horsegal014 describes it perfectly.

I was ecstatic when I found this out, because I had been on the verge of giving up riding altogether because of the pain in my knee. Even now, when I feel it come back, I have to remind myself.

Sit like a "cowboy" ( ) your hips/seat bones are closed and it will be very easy for you to slip side ways, sit properly for balance | | and your hips/seat bones are open and not only are you less likely to slip sideways, but with your knees and toes pointed forward they will prevent you from slipping sideways.

I agree with virtuallyhorses about your instructor using "riding jargon" without explaining what he/she means.

Ask aphagirlie05 about how I constantly fed into her brain about how to sit properly in the saddle. Recently found an article that explained it better than me. If I can find where I put it or bookmarked it, I'll be sure to post it here.

Good Luck with your riding AND your seat! :D

Have a GR8 Day and Happy Trails!

Blondy ;)

FOUND IT!!!

Here goes:

Quick Fixes: Shifting Saddles and Loose Seats

About the author: Randi Thompson

In 1979 Randi created the Horse and Rider Awareness® program. The demand for her unique approach led to the development of the Horsemasters™ programs for professionals in the horse industry. Randi is a published author, horse show judge, speaker, expert witness and consultant, educator and trainer.

Her method -- the Horse and Rider Awareness® program -- has received national recognition including headlining with presentations at the U.S. Pony Club National Convention, and two Florida Pet and Horse Expos. Randi has introduced the Horse and Rider Awareness® teaching techniques to the Horsemanship Safety Association (who have been teaching and certifying instructors for over 30 years) and her successful techniques are now being taught to their clinicians and instructors throughout the United States and other countries.

Quick Fixes: Shifting saddles and loose seats

Many of us have felt the uncomfortable feeling of a saddle slowly slipping towards one side of the horse while we are riding. Numerous riders also know the frustration of feeling of their seats bouncing all over the saddle.

Are you tired of slip sliding away? Now you can quickly learn how to keep your saddle, and your seat, where they belong.

Let’s begin with the slipping saddle.

Try this the next time that you ride a horse.

Look down to see if the front of the saddle, (either the center of the pommel, or the saddle horn) is in line with the horse’s mane. That is an easy way to see when the saddle is on the center of the horses back, where it is supposed to be. As you are riding, pay attention to which side the saddle has a tendency to slip more towards, especially at the faster gaits, and on circles.

A saddle usually slips to one side when the rider is placing more weight in the stirrup on that side than the other. You will now learn how to keep the saddle from shifting by balancing your weight evenly in both stirrups.

If the saddle is shifting to the right, step softly into the left stirrup and carefully reposition the center of the saddle back in line with the horse’s mane.

Some riders find it easier to shift the saddle by holding one hand on the front of the saddle as they step into the stirrup.

If the saddle is sliding to the left, step into the right stirrup to bring the saddle back into line.

You may be surprised at how often your saddle will slip out of line with the horse’s mane.

Most riders discover that their saddles will slip more often to the outside of the horse’s withers on corners and circles. This can be corrected by placing more weight on the inside stirrup.

If the saddle is falling to the inside of the horses withers on a circle, try placing more weight onto the outside stirrup to bring the saddle back into line with the horse’s mane

You are than ready to learn how to balance your weight evenly in both of your stirrups. To do this, begin by choosing a safe, quiet horse and begin walking. Walk around for a few moments and notice which side the saddle has shifted towards. Than, carefully take your foot out of the stirrup on the side that the saddle keeps slipping towards and continue riding. At first, you will feel very unbalanced. This is because you have become comfortable being unbalanced.

Before long, you will feel comfortable as you trot or canter in correct balance without shifting the saddle to either side.

Than you are ready to practice keeping the saddle in line with the mane with both of your feet in the stirrups.

Sounds easy, right? With a little patience and practice, you will easily be able to keep the center of a saddle and the horse’s mane in line with each other.

A slipping saddle is not uncommon. In fact, now that you know what to look for you will see many other riders’ saddles slipping to the side.

How to stop those sliding seats

Have you been riding horses for years and still are not sure where your seat should rest in the saddle? How many frustrated riders do you know whose seats are still sliding and bouncing all over the saddle after they have spend hundreds of hours trying to get a secure seat on a lunge line?

First, let’s take a look at how the seat of you saddle is shaped. Saddles are built so that the rider’s “seatbones” are placed in the hollow, or the deepest point of the saddle. That means that the front of your pelvis, or the crotch area, will rest slightly higher, and up on the swell of the saddle or the “hill”.

If you are like the majority of riders, your seat will tend to slide back and rest on the back, or the cantle of the saddle. This seems like the right spot to rest your seat, but it is not.

Seatbone position

Your seat will move less when you can keep your seatbones in the deepest part of the saddle. Your job is to learn to stay in that position by becoming aware of how to feel and adjust your seatbones.

It is easiest to feel the position of your seatbones on a chair first. To do this, sit on a chair and place a hand, palm up, underneath one side of your seat. Rock back and forth until you can feel the bone that is located under your seat. This is called a seatbone.

To become aware of how much your seatbones can move, begin by pointing your seatbones towards the back of the chair. You will feel more pressure on the front of your crotch as the back of your seat lifts off the chair. Now, place your hand, palm facing towards your back, on your lower back. You will feel that your back is hollow.

Next, gently slide your seatbones forward. Notice when your weight falls behind the seatbones and unto the fatty part of your backside. Place your hand behind your lower back and feel how your lower back becomes round.

To adjust your seatbones to the center position, bring your seatbones back underneath your seat. Check your position by placing your hand, palm towards your back, on your lower back. Your lower back should feel flat. This is the correct position that will allow your seat and back to follow the movements of the horse’s back.

Repeat the three seatbones positions until you know where they are and how to adjust them.

Now you are prepared to feel and adjust your seatbone position in a saddle on a horse.

Riding on the hill

Begin by feeling your seatbone positions in the saddle with the horse standing still. Sit in your saddle the way that you normally do, than slowly slide your seatbones to the back of the saddle. Feel how the front of your pelvis drops into the deepest part of the saddle or the “bottom of the hill”. Next, place your hand behind your lower back, palm towards you, and feel how your back is hollow.

Now, adjust your seat by gently sliding your seatbones forward until the front of your pelvis is resting slightly resting on the hill. Your seatbones will be pointed down in the center position and placed in the deepest part of the saddle, or the “bottom of the hill”. This is where your seatbones should remain. Once again, check to see if your seatbones are correct by placing your palm on the lower part of your back to check it is flat. This is the correct position.

At first, this position in the saddle my feel a little strange. This is because you have become comfortable with the wrong position. Before long, you will wonder how you ever stayed in a saddle with your old position

Start feeling if your seatbones are in the center position and if your are “on the hill” at the walk. You will probably find that your seatbones will slip back every three to five steps in the beginning. This is a normal.

When you can stay “on the hill” and keep your seatbones positioned in the center at the walk, you are ready to practice at a slow trot. Start slowly, as you will probably fall down the hill many times before you learn how to adjust your seat and use your lower back and thighs to keep your seatbones in the correct position in the saddle. You will soon be amazed at how much better you will be able to sit to and follow the movement of the horse’s back.

Than you are ready to “ride on the hill” at the canter.

You can now easily teach yourself or show anyone how to ride more safely and effectively by keeping their saddle from slipping and their seats “on the hill”

Horse and Rider Awareness c1998
Randi Thompson
573 Fortescue Rd.
Zirconia, NC 28790
828-243-1401
randithompson@juno.com

Last edited:
There's an excercise you can do to help. Get someone to hold your horse and quit the stirrups. Bring your knees up so they just touch in front of the saddle and hold for a few seconds - don't wriggle your seat! Bring your knees slowly out and then just allow your legs to relax and hang down. This deepens your seat and opens the hips.

The kind of "open your hips" that your instructor means is the kind of "open your hips" that you and I can't do. We both have contracted tendons in our groins that won't allow for that sort of movement, and there's nothing short of surgery that can be done about it. The most comfortable solution is to ride with shorter stirrup leathers, to relieve the pull....however: cosmetically speaking, riding instructors find this, shockingly unattractive..(So what???) but more importantly, there is a safety issue, in so much as it makes us more vulnerable to disappearing out of the side door, if the horse should do even a relatively small shy.

However, I have found one thing that helps. Lengthen you stirrup leathers about 1/2 a hole at a time (twisting them around the stirrup iron once is roughly equal to 1/2 hole, then use next hole etc...etc...) I've gone down by a massive 5 holes in four years.This has helped enormounsly to 'open up my hips'....but make it extremely gradual, like 1/2 hole every 3 months or something like that. But we'll'll probably never be able to open up like our able bodied counter-parts...so just smile sweetly at your instructor and say "yeah yeah!!!" ;)

Thanks for all you explanations. Now I can kind of imagine what my instructor means. And Monty is right - I know I am unable to do it. Which is a relief - my instructor nearly had me worried that I was just too stupid to learn :D

Having looked at this I think if my instructor ever asks me to do something along the lines of opening my hips I'll just turn round and ask what she means. I was to scared to do this with my last instructor. She asked me if I could 'feel' something once and I said I couldn't... she then turned it around to make me seem like I was personally insulting her instructing ability! Instructors can be a tough bunch to crack. I bet some of them son't even know themselves what their terminology means exactly.

Virtuallyhorses: You see, there are a few good points about having a disability. One is you have an excuse when you can't do something... :D:D

You are right about asking the instructor, Mazpup. I did and she tried her best to explain. I was the one who ended it because the discussions were taking up too much of my lesson time. My lessons are only 30 minutes long, so after 15 minutes I did what Monty suggested: smiled and said "yeah, sure" and thought I would ask the people on this board instead.:p :cool:

newrider.com