Paddock Paradise

Sorry Birish but I couldn't presume to answer your criticisms on this. I am just not expert enough and haven't managed to do enough research yet on this system of management.

However briefly to touch on what I have gleaned so far the author of this idea was Jaime Jackson who is a very well respected figure in her field of interest which I think broadly speaking is the study of the wild horse and how we can best reproduce a natural environment for our own domesticated horse. She/he? has written a book on this particular method of managing horses "Paradise Paddocks" which would probably provide interesting reading for both of us:).

Sadly there is no way my pony is getting lush pasture this winter unless I want her dead (although on reflection she normally does have what we now know as foggage (not manky, weedy, uncut grass::confused::). As a laminitic she is now restricted to standing a small bare patch of paddock. As an owner who is desperately trying to find ways of enhancing her life the tracking system seems to offer a more interesting alternative that will also increase the amount of exercise she takes to help with her weight.

What would you rather do - sit in a small backyard for hours on end or go out for a couple of walks round the block when you felt like it?

Hmmmm. I guess on first sight the whole idea can seem a bit odd but just wanted to clarify why we have chosen to embrace some of the principles. Just so you know there is Rosie and 1 other in 2 1/2 acres of very lush grass/clover but very weedy with loads of thistles and nettles.

• From what i have observed they DO NOT walk very much when left in the big field on their own. The grass is so lush they can spend hours not moving much more that 10 ft. Wild horses can walk around 18/20 miles a day whilst foraging
  • We dont have an alternate field for the winter so we need to keep areas sectioned off to give some grass a rest
  • Rosie is barefoot and happily so but does have fast growing feet - if I can do something to naturally keep her feet nicer between trims, then why wouldnt I?
  • I think having different areas and being encouraged to wander in places they would necassarily chose to go i.e. up to the edges and into the corners, makes things more interesting for them and makes them use their brains a bit more than standing in the middle stuffing their faces.
  • My fatso needs all the exercise she can get to help her lose weight - if I can incorporate that into her day this has to be better for her than a half hour exercise session when I work with her.
  • In the wild horses would naturally follow 'tracks' to get to different grazing areas, access water etc. The aim is to mimic natural (wild) behaviour with the dominant horse 'pushing' the others round the track to different bits.
I guess if you have the facilites, time, energy and inclination, why would you NOT put this in place? Its all for the benefit of the horse :D

There there now - pick your chin back up off the floor and broaden your mind.

The hampsters are all safe:p

:D:D .. Fair play.

I am completely :eek: at all this though.. Did do some research too... Followed links, read all about Mustang Mountain, read blogs etc. I had never heard of this and wanted to know why.

Sorry Birish but I couldn't presume to answer your criticisms on this.

I asked why in my post... it was all questions - maybe the tone is what threw everyone - sorry about that if it did but I'm quite sure I never said anyone was a numpty for doing it.. Never criticised it. I asked why do it, and why foggage etc etc.

I do have a fatty. A Shetland who was morbidly obese when I bought him, he just goes out with a muzzle on 24/7. And isn't allowed on the "fat" grass! He's half the size he was when he came now as he gets a ridiculous amount of exercise as he's continually kept on the move by the Boss horse!

From what i have observed they DO NOT walk very much when left in the big field on their own. The grass is so lush they can spend hours not moving much more that 10 ft. Wild horses can walk around 18/20 miles a day whilst foraging

I watch my horses constantly.. (cos am a wierdo) they definitely walk miles.. I would reckon about what wild horses do.

In the wild horses would naturally follow 'tracks' to get to different grazing areas, access water etc. The aim is to mimic natural (wild) behaviour with the dominant horse 'pushing' the others round the track to different bits.

There are tracks all over the field (they are in our big "summer" field) .. that they follow.. the tracks are very very well worn too..Will take some pics later for you guys.. I suppose we are lucky as we have natural "obstacles".. a flat part, a VERY steep sloping part, a river crossing etc. Stan is the boss and he decides where they others are going to go/should be. He will herd / drive them.

They have a tight schedule too (which makes me laugh) .. you could set your watch by them!) ..

being encouraged to wander in places they would necassarily chose to go i.e. up to the edges and into the corners, makes things more interesting for them and makes them use their brains a bit more than standing in the middle stuffing their faces.

Our horses must be the only ones then - that don't stand in the middle stuffing their faces.. (see their schedule!) but I understand what you mean and agree with the idea here.. Ours spend ages playing, ferreting for tasty morsels in the hedgelines and on the riverbank, throwing stuff at each other:rolleyes:, rolling, digging holes, playing in the river etc.. We're obviously really lucky with the horses we have and the herd they've formed!

I can see that wandering about a chute for a laminitic would be better physically or mentally for them than being stuck in a starvation paddock (Trigger is muzzled and turned out with the others as he looses more weight walking about with them).

I guess if you have the facilites, time, energy and inclination, why would you NOT put this in place? Its all for the benefit of the horse

True. :) .. Whatever anyone says (me included!) it seems no bad thing for the horses. And that's what matters.

Me personally, I have the facilities and probably the time.. but I would rather use my energy for riding and I'm definitely lacking inclination.. :):p

I suppose I just like to keep things as simple as poss. I turn them out in as big a space as I can and let them get on with it, they live out in all but the worst weather, summer/winter/clipped/whatever. Left to their own thing they seem to exibit exactly the herd behaviour that everyone tries to emulate.. I am indeed lucky! :)

Apologies to everyone as I have not read all the posts (I was following this thread at the start), but isn't the point of this to improve their hooves as well as their overall well being (different surfaces, movement, dry standing etc.), if BIrish has hers shod (I'm not saying you do or that that is in any way a problem) then her field herd is wonderful too but not trying to impact on their hooves. I would like mine to travel across different surfaces to encourage conditioning of their hooves, but I haven't the time and energy to organise it (maybe one day), I do hope I haven't confused things....trots off to read things more carefully.....

Last edited:
That is right Clava - the different surfaces are to help the barefoot horses but not everyone has the money to put that into practice.

No probs BIrish - your tone was more :eek: than the topic:p

I suppose we are lucky as we have natural "obstacles".. a flat part, a VERY steep sloping part, a river crossing etc. Stan is the boss and he decides where they others are going to go/should be. He will herd / drive them.

I think this sums it up - you obviously have a few horses, a varied landscape and lots of natural behaviour :D The reason you are :eek: about it is because it just doesnt apply to you! Perhaps you could incorporate a stony area if you dont have one to help trim their feet, but you may well be shod or do lots of road miles?

In contrast I have 2 horses in a flat rectangular field with barbed wire on 3 side and a crazy hedge on the other - I have to make it intersting instead of a just a boring grassy block.

The idea did originate around hoof care but has been adapted and used for more general welfare as people can manage. I have put in a small area of paving slabs (all broken now as they've been stomped on) and will add some sand to fill the gaps and help their hooves along the way.

P.S. BIrish can we come live with you - its sounds fab!:)

newrider.com