Please explain the different boots!

DaisyA

Jun 2, 2017
Hello! So I'm very confused because I thought if you had jodhpur boots you could wear them alone, but now I'm reading that you wear half chaps with them and I'm just wondering, do you have to wear chaps with them or is that optional? Also, what's the difference between wearing short boots and half chaps and wearing long boots? Please could you explain what each type of boot is used for/best for and what you recommend from your own experience - thanks!
PS. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm a new rider and not familiar with everything yet!

You don't have to wear half chaps but you may find that the stirrup leathers pinch your calves when you are in the saddle. They do for me. Half chaps and short boots are just a variation of long boots, it's whatever you are comfortable wearing really.

I think it is a matter of personal choice really, I never got on with short boots and always wear long boots, but then there is such a huge choice deciding which ones can be tricky, I'd get yourself to a store where you can try loads of different makes and styles and see which feel most comfortable :)

PS. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm a new rider and not familiar with everything yet!
No need to apologise, you don't sound stupid and that is what we are here for at the end of the day, to help out with questions if we can :)

Reactions: Jessey
Wear chaps. I was an absolute div the other day and didn't... and I got myself a 50p-piece-sized blister on my calf!!

You never stop learning with horses. So don't feel silly about asking questions. Things change etc.

I have just bought riding socks. :) So will see what they are like as oppose to chaps or gaiters.
Chaps tend to be suede and sometimes a bit bulky. They come in variety of colours and can be a breathable mesh for summer.
Gaiters can be leather to match the make of boot you are using. Softer. More used for showing but it's personal choice.

Long boots are rubber- please avoid as this will restrict you. Leather or equi leather. Lace up or zip back.

I wear long boots all year round, but have short for yard duties, lunging, bareback, picnics- assuming we get the weather!!

Generally joddy (short) boots are worn alone by kids when showing, its 'proper' for adults to wear long boots and chaps/gaiters look like long boots but give more mobility in the ankle I find. Probably the reason long boots are worn as you get bigger is the weight in the stirrup causing those awful calf pinches :D

I def prefer short boots and chaps for a few reasons, I've never found any really comfortable as I have short legs (they dig in behind my knee once in the saddle), good long boots tend to be more expensive and I really hate getting hay down my boot tops and chaps are snug enough to prevent it :p

I also prefer short boots and breeches or riding tights. I have a pair of Mark Todd ones which my RI recommended as I prefer a chunkier sole and they have squishy memory foam footbed inside which is so comfy. I only wear chaps when it's cold or wet, because I get so blooming warm when riding! The chaps do help keep your legs dry.
Any sturdy boot will be fine as long as there is a stepped heel to stop it slipping through the stirrup and good ankle support. I rode for ages in an old pair of walking boots. Some of the Ariat boots look just like walking boots now. I think you are supposed to wear long boots for dressage competitions, but I'm no expert!

Any sturdy boot will be fine as long as there is a stepped heel to stop it slipping through the stirrup and good ankle support
I would say its also important that there is not much/no tread. My wellies are sturdy and have a stepped heel, but you won't catch me riding in them....

newrider.com