Polo boots or sport boots?

Unless they have poor conformation and interfere No boots as a rule, I want training to strengthen the leg, I want nature to do its thing. If I’m doing something once in a blue moon where I know the horse will get tired or is more likely to knock itself then I’ll boot generally with well fitting sports boots. I use polo wraps for travelling long distances, but don’t use anything for short distances.

I just use plain brushing boots if I need to boot for anything. Faran hates having anything on his legs, although he did kick himself a belter in May in the field so there was nothing I could have done about that 🤷🏼‍♀️ you can’t leave something on them 24/7

Reactions: KaileeTheKool
What is your purpose? If you don't know how to properly wrap you could cause significant damage with polo wraps. Boots are designed with specific disciplines in mind. What you're doing and whether your horse needs them depends on your horse.

Reactions: KaileeTheKool
What is your purpose? If you don't know how to properly wrap you could cause significant damage with polo wraps. Boots are designed with specific disciplines in mind. What you're doing and whether your horse needs them depends on your horse.
Mostly to keep my mare from scratching her legs. When I ride her frequently she ends up with small sores on her legs from hitting them together, and I don't have an arena, so there's lots of sticks and rocks and brush that she scrapes herself up on.

If she's hitting her legs you have issues boots won't solve though protection until you figure it out is likely needed the type of protection depends on where and how. You need to figure out why she's hitting herself. Which legs and how is it happening?

If she's hitting her legs you have issues boots won't solve though protection until you figure it out is likely needed the type of protection depends on where and how. You need to figure out why she's hitting herself. Which legs and how is it happening?
It's on her hind legs on her fetlocks. They're just tiny sores and they only come after she decides to be a runaway train at full speed when I'm riding her.

So are the sores on fronts or insides? Photos? Brushing (sore on insides from hind to hind contact) on the hinds isn't common but can happen. Interference from a front coming in contact is more common and can be from conformation, incorrect shoeing or trimming if barefoot. It could be a sign of lameness or a sore back. There are some neuromuscular diseases that can cause it or it could be weakness or muscle imbalance.

Last edited:
newrider.com