RDA Championships

thaxted

Jul 1, 2003
Co Down, N. Ireland
Visit site
How did everyone get on?

I'm delighted to say that I won my Championship class, came 5th in the freestyle and won the 'best turned out'! Now there is a surprise!!

It was a great weekend and everyone was so helpful. My horse was a complete star, not a foot out of place and this was the biggest occasionshe has ever seen. I was so proud of her. The bad news is that she has returned howe lame behind so fingers crossed that all goes well.

Some photos below.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 15 18.35b.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 15 18.35b.gif
    49.1 KB · Views: 38
  • ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 15 18.36b.gif
    ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 15 18.36b.gif
    44.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ScreenHunter_10 Jul. 15 18.44b.gif
    ScreenHunter_10 Jul. 15 18.44b.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 36
  • ScreenHunter_13 Jul. 15 18.45b.gif
    ScreenHunter_13 Jul. 15 18.45b.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 40
WOW thats fantastic news well done :D gorgeous hoss too, hope she becomes sound soon

Well done!

Maz79 was 2nd in the Grade IV championship and 3rd in the Grade IV freestyle.

After all of her trials and tribulations qualifying (she did it with broken ribs! :eek:) poor Monty didn't even get to go as Rubi was kicked badly and required stitches in her leg.

We had a mini NR meet then without knowing :D

The grey straight across second stable on the left side was Charm - the skinny blonde rider :p is Maz79, the not so skinny :rolleyes: blonde is me, and the teenager who was with us is LaurenEff

Ah ha!! was that the horse that had a little 'moment' when you left it for the first time after you arrived? Apparently there was some disturbance at the bottom of the stable block and your mare got a bit agitated.

We talked to her for a bit and she settled down but I was glad that you came back soon.

Do visit my website at www.romaoakes.co.uk for more photos from the show.

Yep - apparently some kids were playing football behind the stable block and she didn't like the noise. She's usually so calm about everything it was a surprise that she got upset.

I have her mini-me at home - Tavia, my grey, is her half sister :D and apart from T being slightly smaller and a bit heavier in build they are like two peas in a pod. :D

I saw you competing :D My horse competed in the same classes as you and came 5th in the champs class and 3rd in the freestyle and second in BTO Lol!

You both rode a very lovely test, well done on the win:D My ned was the hogged piebald cob he was in just before you in the champs class :)

sorry to gate grash your thread?

Really well done to everyone who went sounds like a fun and sucessfull trip
Can I ask where you competing on your own horses or your RDA's horses?
How do you qualify for the RDA classes and can you take your own horse to the qualifiers?
Do you need to be having regular lessons at an RDA centre?
I am FEI grade IV rider. I did attend Conquest Taunton last year. They where great at letting me try stuff out. But I felt like a fraud using up their precious facilities (I did pay for the lesson the same amount as an able bodies rider). But I have 2 1/2 horses at home and ride in regular BD competition. I want to try some of the para classes but my boy is not at Prix St George or even established medium level. The RDA classes have open and more entrey level classes.
Any advice, info please. Can I affiliate to a centre with out stealing their facilities? Coould I volunteer as a helper and then ride under the Centre?
Ta

I saw you competing :D My horse competed in the same classes as you and came 5th in the champs class and 3rd in the freestyle and second in BTO Lol!

You both rode a very lovely test, well done on the win:D My ned was the hogged piebald cob he was in just before you in the champs class :)

Hi Noggin667

Yes - I remember seeing you and thinking - 'that's a good test - blimy' Is the cob your own horse?

Really well done to everyone who went sounds like a fun and sucessfull trip
Can I ask where you competing on your own horses or your RDA's horses?

This year I rode my own horse

How do you qualify for the RDA classes and can you take your own horse to the qualifiers?
You need to be a member of an RDA group and you then ride at the Regional Qualifier - you can ride your own horse. YOu need to achieve a qualifying %, I think it is 65%?

Do you need to be having regular lessons at an RDA centre?
I don't

I am FEI grade IV rider.
Me too
I did attend Conquest Taunton last year. They where great at letting me try stuff out. But I felt like a fraud using up their precious facilities (I did pay for the lesson the same amount as an able bodies rider). But I have 2 1/2 horses at home and ride in regular BD competition. I want to try some of the para classes but my boy is not at Prix St George or even established medium level.
Same thing for me and my horse.

The RDA classes have open and more entrey level classes.
Any advice, info please. Can I affiliate to a centre with out stealing their facilities? Coould I volunteer as a helper and then ride under the Centre?
Ta

At our regional Qualifier there was no Grade IV test so I had to go in the Grade I - V test. If your region has a grade IV qualifier then you could go in that. You need to find a group that will accept you as a 'non-riding (at lessons)' member. This can sometimes be a big problem. Does this help?

Best thing to do is to contact Doug Smith at RDA HQ - he will do his best to help you.

Contact your local RDA centre, both of ours (Unicorn in Teeside and Tyne & Wear) have several members with their own horses - there were at least three from the Unicorn group that had their own there. If the regionals organisers know they have grade IV riders they will usually put the tests on but you do need to shout.

Also worth getting involved in the local BD Para group. The Northern one is really active, not sure what yours is like.

Thanks for the info

Thaxted and LGD ta for that. I am linked to the BD para regional group. Not overly active yet. Will speak to the Taunton group again. They are some distance away but the only one I know working with adults.

newrider.com