Rein width

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I like very narrow reins, I love the ones I have at the moment that are leather with a rubber grip on the inside only and are either 1/2" or 3/8" width. I find when they're narrow they sit in my hand better and so don't slip through my fingers if I do have a contact. However someone noticed them the other day and was horrified that I had them on a powerfully built hot cob, saying they were downright dangerous. I smiled and walked away, she's not to know how light he is in the mouth and how little I rely on his reins. It did get me thinking though - where's the logic in that argument? A horse can easily break 1" reins if it treads on them or gets them caught up, but no matter how hard I yanked or pulled I couldn't break my narrow reins, so realistically they're not going to break when I'm riding as a result of anything I do. Sure if they cracked or split they would weaken quicker, but then I wouldn't want to be using any reins that showed signs of cracking, splitting, or drying out. It just feels like an old wives tale to me, something that people are told but that really makes no sense if looked at logically. What do you think?

• Haha
Reactions: MrC
I like narrow reins too. My friend bought my bridle for Hogan, love the bridle, but the reins were 1" - too wide, so put Ramsey's reins on. They are about 20 years old, and 1/2" wide. No sign of them breaking! It's the quality, not the width, I'd say.

Reactions: carthorse
Traditionally we used a 5/8” rein for a snaffle and a 1/2” rein for the curb but 1/8” makes very little difference to the strength, it was just so they felt different in the hand.

My Jaguar bridle is a plain cavesson and came with half rubber 1/2” reins, so designed to be used on their own.

I don’t like bulky reins in my hand, so rubber reins are a big no from me, not keen on half rubber even, I tend to buy continental as there’s much less thickness to them even than plain leather. If they’re thin enough I don’t mind 5/8” width.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
My old share had a Sabre bridle with Sabre Plain Leather Reins
Width: 16mm (5/8") Our RI always uses those reins on the lesson horses.
I bought a pair for Ella.

It stopped her instantly from leaning on the reins. No other rider has complained.

Reactions: Huggy
I think reins are such a personal choice. I don't like thin plain reins. I like rubber reins with small pimples. I shelled out once and bought events reins as a treat. I actually had to retire while showjumping as I just couldn't hold them in the rein. Then a friend who has a tack shop persuaded me to get some sort of smooth easy grip reins which I sold again after 1 use as I couldn't grip them.

I have the mark todd rubber reins which suit perfectly. They are also slightly longer which I need.

They are personal aren't they? I absolutely adore and worship the gorgeous Continental reins which Kis Vihar made for me. They are made of woven fabric with two strips of rubber running through them and one strip with rubber dots on, and they have leather stoppers which I find SO USEFUL when trying to sort my rein length out. I wouldn't be without them. Though Cally had very fine, plaited leather reins on his bridle, and I thought those were super too.

Ive usely just bought the standard leather rein with rubber grip. Ive worn several pairs out at the point where i hold them. The rubber gives up. Once the rubber coating has gone there too small in rhe hand for me.
I do like something to get hold of. Especially when you are being pulled round funrides and your horse has a very sweaty neck.

The girl who was riding chunky till a few years ago used a bridle her mum went on a course to make. She had a set of fabric/nylon flat plaited/woven type reins. They were flat, thin but wide. I rode with them a few times but i really couldnt get on with them at all.
When i had the exy on loan he came with leather plaited reins. I soon changed them.

I like the larger pimple reins too as opposed to the small pimples.

@diplomaticandtactful the one time I rode in rope reins I hated them, it just goes to show how much is personal preference. And while it's slightly off topic I don't like the clip fastening to the bit, to me it gives too "busy" a feel if I have a contact, but I guess rope reins come more from Western and that has far less contact so it isn't an issue.

@Skib I like plain leather reins, but if a horse tends to sweat I do find they slip through the hand. The only time I didn't find this was some narrow Jefferies reins that had raw leather on the inside which gave more grip and roughed up slightly, but much as I liked them I still wouldn't want them as my only rein on a horse that got very sweaty on the neck - I had them on Jim and Little Un, but not Luka. I don't see how different width reins would stop a horse from leaning unless it meant the rider had a more sensitive contact?

@Doodle92 like you I've ridden in and hated both those types of reins! They seem to be like marmite in that people love them or hate them, for me I don't think any width would make them acceptable.

@Jane&Ziggy I used to have continental reins on my first pony :) . I like them, but I never wear gloves so I do find that if a horse gets strong they can shred my hands, and I think that since I prefer narrower reins I do prefer some substance in the thickness.

@chunky monkey they sound like the nylon reins that used to be on the riding school ponies when I was a kid, they came in all different colours which was very useful when making sure the right bridle was picked up - I still remember Billy had blue reins, Foxy red, Gypsy brown, and Bob green.

@diplomaticandtactful the one time I rode in rope reins I hated them, it just goes to show how much is personal preference. And while it's slightly off topic I don't like the clip fastening to the bit, to me it gives too "busy" a feel if I have a contact, but I guess rope reins come more from Western and that has far less contact so it isn't an issue.

@Skib I like plain leather reins, but if a horse tends to sweat I do find they slip through the hand. The only time I didn't find this was some narrow Jefferies reins that had raw leather on the inside which gave more grip and roughed up slightly, but much as I liked them I still wouldn't want them as my only rein on a horse that got very sweaty on the neck - I had them on Jim and Little Un, but not Luka. I don't see how different width reins would stop a horse from leaning unless it meant the rider had a more sensitive contact?

@Doodle92 like you I've ridden in and hated both those types of reins! They seem to be like marmite in that people love them or hate them, for me I don't think any width would make them acceptable.

@Jane&Ziggy I used to have continental reins on my first pony :) . I like them, but I never wear gloves so I do find that if a horse gets strong they can shred my hands, and I think that since I prefer narrower reins I do prefer some substance in the thickness.

@chunky monkey they sound like the nylon reins that used to be on the riding school ponies when I was a kid, they came in all different colours which was very useful when making sure the right bridle was picked up - I still remember Billy had blue reins, Foxy red, Gypsy brown, and Bob green.
I don't ride in a strong contact so the suit me fine and also if i have a rope halter on as well and have to get off i can use them as a long rope to lead. I also have very thin leather reins with grip on one side and elastic inserts. Buddy rides western now, he neck reins, and to halt you lift left rein slightly and he halts. He has taken to it age 28 like a duck to water

I was sent a short sample of a rubber pimple rein used by Eventers. I just didnt like the feel of it. #
I don't see how different width reins would stop a horse from leaning unless it meant the rider had a more sensitive contact?
Narrow leather reins slp through ones fingers. That is what cured Ella of leaning. She had nothing to pull against.

I was sent a short sample of a rubber pimple rein used by Eventers. I just didnt like the feel of it. #

Narrow leather reins slp through ones fingers. That is what cured Ella of leaning. She had nothing to pull against.
When I got buddy he was ridden in a gag, flash and running martingale, and spurs at times. he was really fussy in his mouth, I found the elasticated reins cured him as he could pull and they gave but didn't move my hands. When he leaned or got excited, I just gave him more and more rein so he had to support and balance himself. Even when we were on a 200 horse sponsored ride in open country and he was utterly bonkers, I never took a pull on him, just let him have his nose on the floor until he regained his composure. He never leans/pulls now if he gets a bit too buoyant we use the turn around and go back trick till he clocks that he is wasting time getting home to his lunch...

You see I find the opposite, wide or bulky reins slip through my fingers while the narrow ones stay put!

I've found that it depends on the size of your hands. My husband has big chunky hands. He doesn't feel like he can hold onto thin reins. I'm the opposite, the big thick ones feel awkward and clumbsy to me.

That's how I feel with thick reins @LadyStetson , they're so much of a handful I lose sensitivity in the contact and if a horse does get strong I find it hard not to have them pulled through my hand because I can't close my hand around them properly.

newrider.com