Returning to riding following stroke

Jakandy

Jul 16, 2003
Wiltshire
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience of this?

Sadly my OH had a stroke in january:eek: He is recovering slowly and is now missing riding. Although we have a horse who would be quiet enough we have no lifting equipment to get him on.

Our nearest RDA is kids only. I was going to arrange to go to one in a village a few miles away but then i thought maybe I am setting him up for failure.

He desperately needs something positive in his life that he can enjoy but I'm not sure how he will cope.

Hi Jakandy
so sorry to hear your news,
I have no personal experience of somebody with a stroke starting riding again, altho i have experience of strokes and also the RDA
I don,t think you would be setting him up for failure, as with every thing, he needs to take very small steps,,,when i fell off and really hurt myself, it took a long time to get really confident again, so just don,t expect to do it all at once,
good luck and best wishes
MM

Jakandy,
find out if the village stables has a hoist suitable for his weight bearing ability, if he cannot manage the steps to get on the horse whilst supported.

it also would depend on the saddle as well,if he cannot ride without a lot of physical support,then he would need a adapted saddle,but not all RDA groups and schools have these as the last one am was in didn't.

And if there's no way,he can get to ride right now,has he thought about trap/carriage driving,as this is also an alternative a lot of RDA groups and schools run,here's a link about it:
http://www.rda.org.uk/carriage.aspx

Also,it doesnt seem fair that the local RDA only runs it for children,unless its
because of funding, riding is a great therapy-in many ways and for any age.

--
MM,
am wondering, if are the same MM from ouch?

I'm very sorry to hear about your OH's stroke *hugs*

I'm inclined to agree with above poster. What about carriage driving? You won't have the worry of getting him safely on and off and if he tires the instructor could take over the driving and get him back safely.

I'm not sure where about's you are in Wiltshire but a quick google search turned this up:

http://www.learntocarriagedrive.co.uk/5201.html

From their home page: 'We are raising funds for Riding (and carriage driving) for the Disabled'

So they might be able to point you in he direction of carriage driving or riding for your OH even if they can't help you directly?

Might be an option whilst he builds himself up?

newrider.com