Riding in this heat and Micklem bridles

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Actually two separate threads rolled into one!

Who is riding in this heat? I bailed out of a pub ride yesterday as me and Angel got bitten all over by horse flies on Saturday and now I am all lumpy and swollen. I actually feel a bit mean riding her in this weather. Our school is like an oven (can't hack out as have the kids with me in the evenings.) Am I being ridiculously soft?

And I'm thinking of getting her a Micklem bridle. I wanted to buy her a nice bridle as hers are both a bit crappy and ill-fitting and I like the sound of the Micklem one which has been designed for sensitive horses. Bit worried I won't be able to work out how to put it on her! Any thoughts on these?

I love mine and Kia does as well. He was getting fussy around the poll and jaw (vet thinks arthritis or similar in the joints) so I got one after trying various different bridle styles including bitless head collars.

He's never refused to put his head in it and I've had no more head tossing or fighting when I take a contact. Back to his usual chilled self :)

Highly recommend and well worth the money.

Reactions: squidsin
Thanks! I've not yet heard anyone say a bad thing about them so I think it's worth investing. She obviously isn't too keen on either of her two bridles - inconsistent in the contact, a little bit of head tossing - so want to spend a bit of money on something decent, that she likes. Do you have the competition or the multiway as that's my next question! I take it both are competition legal?

Reactions: MrC
Both are competition legal as far as I know. I have the multibridle. I bought it thinking ahead as well as I think the multi will be good for bringing on any youngster I get once Kia canters over rainbow bridge and I don't compete anymore so hit both targets to get the multi :)

I rode Jess on Friday evening but Saturday and Sunday it just didn't cool down early enough, I'm happy to leave Jess as its not like she's getting ready to compete any time soon, but I'm also meant to be riding a friends horse, if it were my own I would have ridden at 9pm but the mare isn't used to being pulled out that time of night and the YO probably wouldn't have been overly impressed at me showing up that late. Its hot again today but meant to cool down from tomorrow so I will just wait now.
I saw a good post on working horses in heat
horses hot.jpg
Aimed at American's but still relevant, it was 81F here with 58% humidity at 10am and vitually no breeze so we are already into the be careful zone. Plus our horses just aren't used to this heat, if you were going competing in a hot country you would allow 2 weeks prior for their bodies to acclimatize, so I think its fair they get low intensity work or time off when its suddenly hotter than normal.

I know nothing about the bridle but I'm not riding in this heat, Belle doesn't seem to mind the heat it's me who can't stand riding in it, get hot and sweaty enough doing yard chores never mind riding, I love the heat, it's the humidity I can't cope with.

Reactions: joellie
I think I'll leave it too then. Riding first thing isn't an option and she's in during the day and turned out at night - and there's no way she'd let me catch her for a ride at 9pm either! I can only ride in the school at about 6pm and I don't think either of us would enjoy it in this heat and we're not in training for anything so I won't worry about it!

Reactions: joellie and Jessey
Avoiding heat.
A lady fainted in the street yesterday. It's really hot here and I am on the coast. So goodness knows what inland is like.
Fields might be ok though.

We are still riding. Horses seem fine. It's quite breezy actually so it's not been too bad, really. But we are a lot further North than you @squidsin

Nope unlikely to be riding tomorrow or if I do will just be a short wander down a shady bridleway.

I've got fancy dress next weekend but luckily it looks to be 10 degrees cooler by then as was starting to think about changing my costume but hopefully will be okay. He will only have it on for 5 mins

I have managed to ride early morning over the weekend, I hosed Marley down afterwards and then walked him in hand down the road to dry off but this morning it was too hot from very early on so no riding today. I have brought the two of them in to their nice cool stables. Although I do bring them in anyway every day to get them off the grass for a while but I think they were glad to get in and away from the cleggs this morning.I have been bitten on my collarbone and its so sore and itchy, poor Marley has splats of blood all over him where theyhave been feasting on him, they don't go near Rummy, maybe because he is on pergolide??

Back at our old house I used to attempt to ride in the heat but only walking. It always ended in my giving up because of the horse flies. OH used to chase us and swat them constantly but we both got bitten so badly it wasn't fair on her. I remember it being so hot once I felt dizzy trotting her up for the vet. That wasn't nice. So to answer the question, no I'd not try now. Not that heat is a problem here or horse flies! We're still in hoodies and jumpers lol

I rode about 9:30am but only very light schooling and then a walk hack. We were covered in horse flies. I am going back to turn him out at 9pm so may ride again then but only if it has cooled down!

Back at our old house I used to attempt to ride in the heat but only walking. It always ended in my giving up because of the horse flies. OH used to chase us and swat them constantly but we both got bitten so badly it wasn't fair on her. I remember it being so hot once I felt dizzy trotting her up for the vet. That wasn't nice. So to answer the question, no I'd not try now. Not that heat is a problem here or horse flies! We're still in hoodies and jumpers lol
I just can't imagine that! I am such a classic Brit - this is WAY to hot for me! My ideal temperature is about 20-21 degrees, sunny but not so hot that you can't enjoy a ride or go for a run if you want to! But my labrador in particular is just miserable in this heat, she's got such a thick coat - I won't be able to walk her until about 9pm.

I just can't imagine that! I am such a classic Brit - this is WAY to hot for me! My ideal temperature is about 20-21 degrees, sunny but not so hot that you can't enjoy a ride or go for a run if you want to! But my labrador in particular is just miserable in this heat, she's got such a thick coat - I won't be able to walk her until about 9pm.

Aw yes it's hard for thicker coated dogs. I can't image the heat anymore lol it seems like another world! We have sun today but always a light breeze which is nice as it means no flies.

I have managed to ride early morning over the weekend, I hosed Marley down afterwards and then walked him in hand down the road to dry off but this morning it was too hot from very early on so no riding today. I have brought the two of them in to their nice cool stables. Although I do bring them in anyway every day to get them off the grass for a while but I think they were glad to get in and away from the cleggs this morning.I have been bitten on my collarbone and its so sore and itchy, poor Marley has splats of blood all over him where theyhave been feasting on him, they don't go near Rummy, maybe because he is on pergolide??
Jess is still being eaten alive and she's on prasend (the horse version of pergolide), maybe he's just not as tasty

Jess is still being eaten alive and she's on prasend (the horse version of pergolide), maybe he's just not as tasty

Mmmm i really thought it must have been the pergolide but if they still find Jess tasty then it must just be him, he is in his thirties so maybe he's just got tough skin lol

Reactions: Jessey
At our RS we book in advance and I have never known them cancel and make a refund due to bad weather - except once in deep wet snow.
I have sometimes skipped riding in August (i.e. not booked to ride) but other than that I choose early or later time slots and go out whatever the weather. It is to do with context - in Texas I have ridden in higher temps than one ever gets here and I have watched polo matches here in the UK with the temperature very high too.
If it is hot, I am more likely to go on a pony club potter or stay mostly in the shade of woods - but in the woods there are birds and shadows more spook worthy than out in the open.
When we get back on a hot day, I will sponge away any sweat marks at the girth or under the saddle, if any. But all this is about hacking. In open spaces where there is movement of air.
No, I havent cancelled my riding. If I dont ride the horse someone else surely will -

newrider.com