Riding With one hand?? Neck reining??

One thing that I have learnt while loaning my horse out to disable riders, is that nothing is impossible so go out and enjoy yourself, I'm sure you will have a wail of a time competing:D

Ladder riens are fantastic for one handed riding, my horse english trained, will quite happily switch between being ridden conventionally to being ridden purely off hand signals even with no leg. Takes times to train them up but it isn't impossible. I really hope you managed to get things sorted and get back in the saddle for some fun:D

I teach both my daughters to neckrein as they are interested in mounted games where you have to always have one hand free !

One handed riding

Hi - I was absolutely delighted to find this section on disabled riding that covered riding for physically disabled also. I'm getting back to riding having been away for more than 10 years.

I'm in Ireland so without going into to much detail suffices to say information and services for riders with a relatively minor physical disability like mine is non existant. Its all or nothing here - either you're able bodied in full and are expected to ride, hold reins, etc. in the conventional way or you are categortised as needing constant help. I can't find anything in between. I've no intentions of going through the experience I had all those years ago so its sort it out myself time. It was doing research that led me to this section of NR.

I have a congenital amputation of my right arm just below the elbow. I wear a cosmetic limb prosthesis (it doesn't do anything - just looks like an arm!).

In the past what I did was tie a knot in the end of the reins, put my artificial arm through the reins (I know - not very safe) and use my index finger and my ring finger on my left hand to control the reins. Putting my arm through the reins meant that I was able to use it as a resistance bar allowing me loosen or gather reins quickly as needed. However that all had to stop when I was thrown from a horse because of an irresponsible instructor who was new to the yard. On a rideout and the last time I was on a horse he got impatient with me not wanting to jump a farm gate. Before I had fully turn away to head for the yard he whacked the horses butt frightening the life out of it. It tried to jump the gate sideways. I was thrown out the near side and my arm cantered off with the horse! Sounds funny now but the bill for the new limb didn't make me feel like laughing at the time - not to mention the embarrasment of falling off in front of 6 other people!

Anyway thinking this time round and a good bit older now that I would be better off learning to rider western style. Think neck reining would be a better option for me and always thought the western saddles were more comfortable anyway. Does anyone else do western riding?

Does anyone know of an instructor in Ireland who teaches western riding. As its been so long since I last rode I would want to take a couple of beginners classes to remind myself.

Myself and OH are lucky enough to have our own horses. (Well we've no kids draining every penny from us so might as well have horses do it instead!) Mine is not trained yet as she's too young (will be 3 at end of May but very tall and very juvenille still) - won't be training her till next year. Hoping a year is enought to get me back in shape and competent enough to ride her once shes trained.

Also does anyone use Dr Cook crossover bitless bridles. Would like to use this also as I am very conscious of not hurting the horses mouth.

Wishing you all well........

newrider.com