Rugs that last well - info

JaniceH

Aug 10, 2003
Cheshire, England
Visit site
The place where I am learning to carriage drive, as well as being a pro driving yard also run a rug cleaning and repair business, they are the people who get the rugs once you have taken them into the tack shop to be sent away to be cleaned. They have rows of massive washing machines and get through washing over 70 rugs a day every day 7 days a week from everywhere from racing yards (they are in newmarket) to local tack shops.

I asked them today what sort of rugs that wear the best out of all the rugs that they clean. Their recommendation - Horsewear Ireland, their brands Rambo and Rhino especially. They said that they hardly ever have to repair stitching or buckles etc on them and unless they have been chewed or ripped on something, they wear exceptionally better than other makes and are made with better thread, cloth and filling than most others.

Just thought it might help someone.

I'll second that, I just which they'd put leg straps on them, if the fillet strap goes at the back the wind here blows them clean off their backs.

I agree with both of you JaniceH and Wally, Pol's Rambo rug is superb and I love it, the best he's had, but I wish it had leg straps. He's a big horse and likes to roll in the field and that strap at the back although lasting well doesn't fill me with much confidence! When it goes one gust of wind and the mares nextdoor will see his modesty. :rolleyes:

Did they say anything about Fal? I have found their rugs are beautifully made, wear incredibly well and come up like new when cleaned.

I'll bare in mind about Horseware Ireland. My experience (limited admittedly) of Weatherbeeta = okay, but not great and Masta = awful, tore easily and look like a dish rag too quickly!

angel's got the rambo sweet itch one - and leg straps would definitely be a great idea! and the fastening at the front left a lot to be desired as it couldnt be adjusted (i ended up sowing on a whole new fastening ...). other than that, a durable and nice rug though!

julia
x

I think if you can afford Rambo, buy Rambo!

They will cost you less in the long run, they dry quciker and last longer!

If you click on the link, and go to special offers, these are the cheapest Rambos I have found anywhere

www.townfields.com

The comments on Rambo I wholeheartedly agree with. Rhino on the other hand - wonderful in bad weather and never leak, but they are the least hardwearing rugs I have ever bought. Benj has 2 - 1 of which has so many rips sewn up, fillet string is a piece of baling twine, and it's tied on with baling twine at the front. He isn't hard on his rugs and I wouldn't touch another one with a bargepole.

Reminds me though - must get rugs cleaned :rolleyes:

All our school ponies have Rhinos and our own horses Rambos. Apart from minor running repairs we have only ever had one ripped beyond use and most are now over 6yo and the oldest 10yo....well worth the cost!

Most other rugs horses have come with have been shredded within a couple of seasons.

that reminds me ... how often do you have to get rugs cleanes? angel's in a very light, thin affair. it was white for a day, now it's somewhat mudcoloured ...

julia
x

I think most people get winter rugs cleaned once a year after the weather gets warm enough so the horse doesnt need to use it anymore. It depends on how trashed they get. Summer rugs/fly rugs, it depends on if it fits in your own washing machine :rolleyes: and how much mud you can deal with looking at.

Mind you they did say that the local large 100+ horses racing yards get their sets of rugs washed every other year, turnout one year, the next year their pure wool stable rugs. They were doing those while I was there, and looked like they still had half a horse still in them!!!

Stella2, sorry they didnt mention Fal rugs.

a agree aswell, i love the horsewear rugs. as an owner of a horse who's hobby seems to be destroying rugs, hes so far unsuccessful with his rhino wug! i used to have a weatherbeeta too, until he literally ripped it in half, but after 2 years, the rhino hasnt needed to be repaired at all.
tbh though, i dont really have a problem with the lack of back leg straps. the rugs fit pretty snugly round the bum, and montys doesnt slip at all, even in strong winds.

i always get my turnout rugs washed & reproofed every year at my local saddlers (who send them away to be cleaned) but things like summer sheets i do myself.

I really like Bucas too. I find them really well made out of the latest technical fabrics. I've always had a Thermatex as a cooler etc. None of my previous rugs go anywhere near Flora, so I'm having to sell them and get her a whole new wardrobe. I've gone for a Bucas cooler/multi purpose because it does everything the Thermatex does, but its also 'antibacterial'.

I've also just sent for (from Derby House) the Bucas Smartex as a medium weight turnout. Has anyone got any experience of this? And I'm hoping to go up to Fal factory tomorrow for the heavy turnout and stable.

The Horseware rugs are my favourites and they seem to be the best fit on my round cob.

The Rambo and Rhino rugs do seem very robust. I've had to have some repairs but only because my mare is a pain for rubbing her backside on things and wripping them around the bottom.

The only problem I've had is that on the lightweight rugs the velcro under the fasteners at the front doesn't hold and she ends up with the buckles digging into her front. A Bossy's Bib solves that problem but I'd rather it worked properly.

I've also had problems with keeping the Rhino lightweights waterproof. And the jury is out on how waterproof the lightweight Rambo is after two annual washes.

I'm a FAL convert too, I had a Rhino which was OK but nothing special. I love the FAL ones tho and they're great that they're dual purpose too.

thanks for this, what a timely topic. Bought a horse a week or so ago who came with no wardrobe, now looking around for rugs - got some places to look !!

copper's masta lasted him 7 yearsand only needed reproofing this last winter. he did finally kill it by taking off one of the surcingles and half the backend with it, but it's done well. i've just bought him another one.

apparentyl masta have 2 factories - one produces utter rubbish and the other is briliant, hwich i tihnk it why some people swear by them and others have dreadful trouble - it depends where your tack shop gets them from.

Horseware rugs are the best. All my two horses rugs are Rambos or Rhinos. The fit is excellent and they never rub. The heavyweight Rambo Wug Plus is really warm in the depth of winter - I have them both blanket clipped and they're never cold - surprizingly the rugs are also really light to handle which is an added bonus when you've got two to sort

newrider.com